Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh
Default Vanished free space? o.O

I have a strange problem. I was clearing up my unused files and clutter from my compy and I noticed I have a huge loss of free space on my drive C:\

My C: partition is 10 Gb. I highlighted all the files and the contents on the drive only weigh 6 Gb, but I only have 200 megs of free space according to explorer.

I'm not very good at math, but even I know that 10 - 6 != 0.2

Here be photographic evidence (I captioned it for your non-hungarian folks):

Apparently, I lost 4 gigs of free space somehow. Before you say:

- I emptied the recycle bin
- I cleared clutter (temp, internet junk...etc)
- No hidden files, I highlited them all
- I don't use any drivespace programs
- I don't have any third party disc management progs installed

I have Norton System Works however, but I don't use it's disk features, never have. Oh, the Norton Protected Recycle bin is empty too.

I really need that 4 gigs of space. Any ideas?

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!

Last edited by Playbahnosh; 30-10-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 30-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Chkdsk C: /f

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Thanks, but I tried that already, didn't help.

However, I managed to get back 2 gigs of that lost 4. I turned off the hibernation option in power saving. Also, I moved the pagefile (virtual memory) to the other partition, but that didn't do anything. On the virtual memory management screen it shows that the pagefile has been moved to the D:\ partition, but in TC I still see the pagefile on the C: and none on the D... curious...

EDIT: I was sooo wrong. I was looking at the wrong drive, the H. The D partition has the pagefile, so I manually deleted the one from the C:, not I have 3.9 gigs of free space. Still need to snoop a little for system files.

I really hope this maneuver won't crash my system...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

Last edited by Playbahnosh; 30-10-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: I'm retarded
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 30-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Did you reboot after moving the page file?

Also,did you check the System Restore function?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

try start->run Restore/rstrui.exe .. check if it's enabled, probably yes. it takes quite a space
Old 31-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Thanks! The system restore function I need, saved my life a few times so it stays. Other than that I killed everything that takes up space, so I'm good for the time being.

Again, thx for the tipz!

Old 31-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playbahnosh View Post
The system restore function I need, saved my life a few times so it stays.
Not arguing about it.
Do you know, however, that Windows keeps a LOT of OLD restore points?
You might want to leave only the few most recent ones and axe the rest.
Saves a lot of HDD space, that.

-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 31-10-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

I have none in my laptop. I can't afford it on only 27 gB on HDD space.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Amazing!!! I have the exact same problem lately. i used to have plenty of disk space now it's 200-300MB. WTF?!

just last week i cleared up some space by uninstalling some programme i never used and it read 800MB free. seem ok bu tnow it's back to 200MB-300mb what is going on?

i moved restore points to other disk and reduced them. the recycle bin i already small.

windows take up 3.6 GB of space of which pagefile.sys takes up 1 gb? How do i move the pagefile.sys to another disk? and even if i move that 1gb would this space be filled up ? just like the 500 MB that somehow dissapeared. would defragging help? can it even be done with such low disk space? Honestly i dont' know what the hell MS is doing. before that disk always had a little over 1GB free space. now suddenly withouth any new programmes installed it has only 200 or 340. depends how long you wait for it when it starts up.

I have other disks with plenty of space but this system disk has a sudden problem of running out of memorry. but i am not sure if adding a partition from another disk would be possible or even a good thing to do (since they would be phisically separated).
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
windows take up 3.6 GB of space of which pagefile.sys takes up 1 gb? How do i move the pagefile.sys to another disk? and even if i move that 1gb would this space be filled up ?
System properties - advanced - virtual memory. You can change the size of the pagefile and the disk it resides on.

Quote:
just like the 500 MB that somehow dissapeared. would defragging help?
Defragging wouldn't.
Quote:
can it even be done with such low disk space?
Not with M$hit defragger. But with a different program? Sure. The only difference would be how fast and efficient the process will be.
Quote:
Honestly i dont' know what the hell MS is doing. before that disk always had a little over 1GB free space. now suddenly withouth any new programmes installed it has only 200 or 340. depends how long you wait for it when it starts up.
Manually clear contents of the Temp and Temporary Internet Files directories.

I think there's also some uninstallation information stored with some of the system patches, and deleting that can save you even more space. Never done it, though.

Quote:
I have other disks with plenty of space but this system disk has a sudden problem of running out of memorry. but i am not sure if adding a partition from another disk would be possible or even a good thing to do (since they would be phisically separated).
You could perhaps move your entire "My Documents" directory to a different drive? It requires editing the registry keys, but works if you provide the correct paths.

-- Reed Richards