Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-08-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
bobson
Game is over

Thumbs up

Isn't that a good idea, to write down (if possible to find) system requirements for each game?
I know all of this games ae old, and on today's machine all of them works - some need DosBox, some can run under WinXP. I believe that some of the people have old computers, like 386 or 486 just for the old games, and with that kind of machine not all of the titles will work.
Giving requirements would be easier to find out, which game would work on what. Currently, the only way to know if it works is just to try, or look at the year of publishing.

So, what do you think guys and girls?
Old 21-08-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

well, we tell the compatibility because most people use faster computers...I'm actually not sure how many users we have that RUN these games on older computers so...I think it might just be extra work.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 21-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
uk_john2005
Forum hobbit

It would be fair to say that most early questions in a forum are based on 'Can't get it to work in XP', or 'can't get it to work in DosBox'. These questions are generally answered. In a popular thread the problem is this will be asked and answered dozens of times. Hence my poll on whether users should have to register to ask a question.
uk_john2005 is offline                         Send a private message to uk_john2005
Old 21-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I believe that some of the people have old computers, like 386 or 486 just for the old games, and with that kind of machine not all of the titles will work.[/b]
Until 11/2004 I used to have a 486 myself, actually.

However, Reamus is quite correct that very few people will go to the trouble of building an oldschool unit just for gaming. It would be quite difficult to find the neccesary information, too. So when you build a DOS machine it's a good idea to give it decent parameters from the start.

Generally, a good 486 DX4/100 with 16 MB RAM, 2 MB GPU and a SB-compatibile SPU will run all of the DOS-based games no problem, provided you've got the right drivers installed.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-08-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
bobson
Game is over

You're propably right. Few days ago I've bought myself a 486DX2/50Mhz laptop. I don't believe, that I'll be able to do anything on it, apart from old games. I'm figuring out whick games will work, by the year of publishing. GTA, Syndicate wars, Ignition - these games, I'm pretty sure won't work.

But about the requirement I thinked about one more thing. Wouldn't it be some history lesson to get to know, what machines were enough to play some time ago? Someone could look at the games from crypt, find out that only 286 was neccesary to play, and smile k:

Isn't that kind of interesting just as a historical info? Are there any pages on the web, that provides this information? If not, why don't we be the first?