Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Jb

Hi!

I have a serious problem with running xcom apocalypse. I'm running it on an old computer with win98. I had to instal x3svga.zip to get it working (SVGA eror). Now it seems to run perfect, but it freezes (black screen, I have to restart the comp) when I start a tactical mission (raid a building etc.).

I used to play xcom apoc on this computer (had same OS) and it worked perfect. This happens both with the abandonia version and the original version. The same thing happens if I run it in DosBox, the only difference is that it freezes when it shows the picture you see before the tactical mission starts.

If you have any ideas on how to fix this problem, please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Jb

Old 01-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
chainsoar
Master Debater

I'm not much of an expert on things like this but I got some vague ideas so I'll give it a bash. Maybe you need to set it to run in a different resolution, or perhaps you should configure x3svga, or something. Screw it, wait till one of the more helpful forum members gives you an answer. I dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 02-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #3

QUOTE(chainsoar @ Aug 1 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]246360[/snapback]
Quote:
I'm not much of an expert on things like this but I got some vague ideas so I'll give it a bash. Maybe you need to set it to run in a different resolution, or perhaps you should configure x3svga, or something. Screw it, wait till one of the more helpful forum members gives you an answer. I dunno.
[/b]
Thnx for the help ...

I tried everything I could think of and found that the only way the game works properly is if I set no sound in setup. Now it works perfect! I don't care about sound so this is fine with me. I guess it had something to do with the sounds in the tactical missions. If enyone else has the same problem I hope this will work for you too.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Jb

that last post was from me ... now I'm off to play apoc ... :brain: :w00t:

Old 03-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Typical incompatibility. I have, however, played it in Win95 - with sound. Run the sound setup program for the game first, and go for autodetect.
Might just work, did for me.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Jb

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 3 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]246537[/snapback]
Quote:
Typical incompatibility. I have, however, played it in Win95 - with sound. Run the sound setup program for the game first, and go for autodetect.
Might just work, did for me.
[/b]
I tried autodetect and the sound works fine, but te game freezes when I start a tactical mission ...

Old 07-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Then try rebooting into DOS mode and running the game from there.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
uk_john2005
Forum hobbit

Get D-Fend, a front end for DosBox that allow you to set up a profile for each game, you can then try lots of different options in D-Fend to get it to work. D-Fend just let's you set up the options and then opens DosBox and sets it up for you. DosBox has lots of esoteric commands, D-Fend turns all that into ticking various boxes. Iw ouldn't dream of trying to run a game in DosBox without running it through D-Fend now!
uk_john2005 is offline                         Send a private message to uk_john2005
Old 22-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
X-commander

Guys i love the game but when i try to load my agents on my plane and go to an alert..... the agents walk there!! they dont get on the plane, and the plane just flys there. pls help me

Old 22-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sheesh. You just didn't load them. Simple.

-- Reed Richards
Closed Thread