Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
red_avatar
Administrator

There's "not funny" and there's "dead & sterile". Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy in the US) was not funny either but it had character, tension, etc. An adventure game that feels dead is no good either.

For example: if you talk to characters with no real personality, what's the use? Take Broken Sword: you had a lazy worker digging the street, a sleazy waitress who loves to drink, a weirdo as inspector, a drinking police officer, a museum guard who acts smart but is stupid, an arrogant professor called Lobineau, etc. etc. etc. I could write a list a mile long.

Now if I were to think about, say, Syberia (which I completed), I can't even seem to remember one memorable character. Why? Because they sucked! They were boring, stale, shallow, etc. And that's probably the best game Adventure Company has! An adventure game is NOT just a puzzle game. It's an interactive STORY. And the best stories have good characters, a good setting, etc. I much prefer a game like Dreamfall then which was dead easy but which was interesting to play story-wise.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 16-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Adventure Company tends to be a hit or a miss when it comes to adventure games, I recommend Crime Stories if your looking for one of their better ones.

If you are looking for a solid bunch of games, check around the freeware realm as there are plenty of above average and great adventure games that have been released through the last year.

If your are looking for something commercially pick up Sam and Max Season One either from Telltale's site or in stores, and Season 2 is already underway and that is just as solid if not more than Season 1 already is.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 17-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #13
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

First of, _r.u.s.s. makes himself look stupid by mentioning Myst 3 which blew loads, much like the last two installments, and then someone has the audacity to not only mention Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) but to actually say it had good characters.

What the hell people? Are some of you seriously that daft when it comes to literary mechanics? Are you telling me that the shitty ending to Indigo Prophecy was any good? That the last half of that game made any god damn sense or that it was in any way, shape, or form well written? Come on, Lucas was such a boring hunk of generic crap, and his girlfriend was annoying.

And GOD DAMN that black police officer was an INCREDIBLE stereotype.

Myst 3 sucked because the puzzles sucked, the story sucked, the actors sucked, and Brad Dourif sucked because you can't even call him an actor.

EDIT: Dreamfall sucked, Longest Journey ruled.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon

Last edited by Blood-Pigggy; 17-02-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 17-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

the game had atmosphere. and i don't realy think that puzzles sucked. if you wanna see puzzles which suck, play uru
Old 17-02-2008, 01:27 AM   #15
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Everybody has their own style in what they like in a good adventure. For instance, I LOVED the Tex Murphy mystery adventures. Some people hated them. The writing was cheesy but the characters were interesting to say the least. I have to agree that it is getting harder to find good adventure storytelling these days.

Have any of you tried the Agatha Christie games? I'm very partial to a good mystery and am looking them over. One of the more interesting stories I remember in a game was "The Watchmaker". Best series has to go the the Broken Sword games. Just my two cents.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 17-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #16
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
First of, _r.u.s.s. makes himself look stupid by mentioning Myst 3 which blew loads, much like the last two installments, and then someone has the audacity to not only mention Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) but to actually say it had good characters.

What the hell people? Are some of you seriously that daft when it comes to literary mechanics? Are you telling me that the shitty ending to Indigo Prophecy was any good? That the last half of that game made any god damn sense or that it was in any way, shape, or form well written? Come on, Lucas was such a boring hunk of generic crap, and his girlfriend was annoying.
Learn to read dimwit :P I said it had CHARACTER. WHere did I say ANYTHING about the actual characters.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 17-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #17
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Piggy, can you build an intelligent conversation without insulting anyone?

Last edited by Dave; 18-02-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Dave is offline                         Send a private message to Dave
Old 17-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #18
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

No I can't David, and Indigo Prophecy has as much character as a dead person who was just violated by his clothing.

Because his pores sucked in every fiber of its hairs, that's why.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 24-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #19
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Be nice, girls.

Especially you, Varkie.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 24-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

w.. what the *meep*?
jesus christ, this thread was half a year dead. are you even looking?