Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #541
underdog
Abandonia nerd

seeing you guys are on it as of now... great, cause i, too, "can" report the correct answer being marked as wrong. selected the title from the dropdown after entering "game gallery"
underdog is offline                         Send a private message to underdog
Old 13-08-2016, 03:13 AM   #542
Diamondfist
Abandonia nerd

The quiz worked for me today (no apostrophe), and I wanted to thank you for looking into the problem, thank you! Hopefully, it isn't anything too complicated.
Diamondfist is offline                         Send a private message to Diamondfist
Old 21-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #543
cdnp
Super Freak

I have been marked wrong incorrectly today for the game in the screenshot quiz.
Spoiler for screenshot quiz
It has only been 10 days since the last problem and this one has come up before a few times:
September 09, 2014
October 22, 2015
May 7,2016
and Today.
I have written about it each time and the problem does not seem to have been solved yet.

Last edited by cdnp; 21-08-2016 at 11:26 PM.
cdnp is offline                         Send a private message to cdnp
Old 22-08-2016, 01:48 AM   #544
BentleyVA
Abandonia nerd

If at least this one game is a problem child, maybe the powers that be could check what the answer is supposed to be and and cross check with the database. I remember long ago that someone found a problem with special characters in the database. Maybe there is something of a similar nature going on here that is causing the recent failures.
BentleyVA is offline                         Send a private message to BentleyVA
Old 22-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #545
underdog
Abandonia nerd

yeah, yet again, the demon of "wrong answer" strikes again... for no apparent reason at all. no apostrophes, no signs, just plain, stupid, letters... sheesh.
Old 22-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #546
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

My personal suspicion is that sometimes quiz addresses the translations instead main game, that is usually invisible, as main game and translation have matched names. Catch is that for some time after site transition all translations was named "Translation" instead game name, so failed to be found. It's additionally could be complicated if translation is not marked as the translation, as in that case it's quite impossible to detect. Dave fixed a lot of such errors, but I haven't tools or knowledge he have. So right now I am processing endless list of "Translation" titles, fixing it as it must be... Unfortunately, I have no endless free time for that, so I am doing it for about year, and still have about 30 pages of such titles before me (50 games per page). I hope, I'll finish this before new year... and then we'll had to puzzle about other possible reason.
Old 22-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #547
underdog
Abandonia nerd

@smiling spectre: wow... f*** that sounds annoying... thanks for you effort!!!
Old 23-08-2016, 02:36 AM   #548
cdnp
Super Freak

@smiling spectre

Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Would it please be possible to prioritize the checking for the following 3 games that have been a problem multiple times over the years in the screenshot quiz:
7th Legion
1000 Miglia
Aces of the Pacific

Or maybe these 3 games can be removed from quiz until they can be fixed.

Thank you.
Old 23-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #549
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnp View Post
Would it please be possible to prioritize the checking for the following 3 games that have been a problem multiple times over the years in the screenshot quiz:
7th Legion
1000 Miglia
Aces of the Pacific

Or maybe these 3 games can be removed from quiz until they can be fixed.
It seems, I wasn't clear enough. Sorry then. Ok, I'll elaborate more.

I haven't access to the database directly. I even haven't access to some admin functions on the user level - for example, I cannot search for the any game in the base for all its entries (except obvious, language-dependant search, that is main functionality, but exactly there everything look all right). I _can_ search for any game and edit it, but in fact base gives me only one, seemingly random selected entry if game have several. For example, named Aces of the Pacific I checked yesterday - and admin search always returns Portugal version. *sigh*

So I had to use backdoors and indirect fixes. For example, named "Translation" names can be fixed by entering to edit mode of the correspondent translated entry and saving it. But all three games named by you haven't anything suspicious in the linked translations (there still can be more unlinked, theoretically speaking, that I still didn't access).

But as you can see, all of them shares the one interesting property: they are relatively new on site (20 000+ name entry number) and names are at the start of alphabet. On the other hand, there are also others that share the same property - both 007 games, for example, - so maybe it's only coincidence.

Base in the awful state under the hood anyway. For example, every translated entry have "state" field (that can be "none, in translation, finished") - but it's cannot be accessed through main interface long ago, so 90% of translated games actually have "In progress" state. I hate long-standing bug that false connecting English and translated bases of tags, so in result after correcting English entry all connected translated entries lost their tags. (And my initial efforts on site was to sort out tag system in hope to this bug auto-fixed... well, didn't work. :/

So - I'll keep trying, but do not hold your breath too much.
Old 24-03-2017, 04:41 AM   #550
cdnp
Super Freak

Well, still no fix for
Spoiler for screenshot quiz
which is the answer for today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
So - I'll keep trying, but do not hold your breath too much.
I hope that this problem will be eventually fixed.
Thank you.