Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
proeliminator
Lurker

Default Ultima VIII :Pegan "Please Help"

PLEASE HELP:I've downloaded ULTIMA VIII(8) when i try to Install the game i keep getting the ERROR that reads:"Might not have enough memory.So i went and bought the Visiontech HD 2400 Pro (w/512 MB) i also have 1GB on my hard drive.Now before i bought the visiontech w/512mb i had 128mb and the same Error kept coming up.I thought the 512mb would cure my problem but...NOoooo.Also when the error comes up,under the error in BLUE it say's memory 1,xxx,xxx,xxx needed 35,xxx,xxx so i have Plenty on my hard drive and in YELLOW it says:memory 1,480,384 Needed 3,580,000 When i changed Video card to the higher 512mb. that number didn't change.I downloaded all necessary drivers.Please help me because i'm dying to play this game again.Sincerely yours Vinnie Pizzo (proeliminator))
proeliminator is offline                         Send a private message to proeliminator
Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
PLEASE HELP:I've downloaded ULTIMA VIII(8) when i try to Install the game i keep getting the ERROR that reads:"Might not have enough memory.
It's a DOS game. Most DOS games were not programmed to expect systems which have in excess of 64 MB RAM (and much less in some cases).
The actual problem is that you have too much memory.

Quote:
So i went and bought the Visiontech HD 2400 Pro (w/512 MB)
It's a graphics card, not a memory expansion.
So you just blew cash on an expensive component that doesn't have anything to do with solving the problem.

Quote:
i also have 1GB on my hard drive.
That doesn't count for anything with these games, sorry. Page file wasn't invented back then.

Quote:
Now before i bought the visiontech w/512mb i had 128mb and the same Error kept coming up.I thought the 512mb would cure my problem but...NOoooo.
The onboard memory of your graphics card can't be used for regular system processes.

Quote:
Also when the error comes up,under the error in BLUE it say's memory 1,xxx,xxx,xxx needed 35,xxx,xxx so i have Plenty on my hard drive and in YELLOW it says:memory 1,480,384 Needed 3,580,000 When i changed Video card to the higher 512mb. that number didn't change.I downloaded all necessary drivers.Please help me because i'm dying to play this
Duh, use DOSBox. A beginner's guide to DOSBox should get you started with the basics.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman