Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

Default [RRS] Outbound

Hi folks.
Once again I seek your wisdom.

A colleague of mine asked me to find an oldie for him. I looked up Moby, as usual, but couldn't find anything similar to what he says. And what he says, is it's a PC game from 1990/2000s in which:
1. Player controlled a yellow/gold bipedal robot. He was shootin' only one variety of projectiles.
2. Action took place on seven up to nine different planets.
3. Enemy forces consisted of other machines: vehicles (hoover-crafts?) shooting spherical projectiles, turrets launching rockets, mobile rocket launchers. He also remembers some spider mechs that shot spherical bullets as well. Additionally amongst the enemy machines there were copies of player robot. They were identical, but blue coloured.
4. Mission objectives on most of the planets was the destruction of enemy bases. Usually there were a few smaller ones the player had to vaporize in order to power down the deflector shield of main enemy base. On one planet player had to intercept and destroy enemy convoy before it reaches the base. In the mission before the last one, player had to defend his base from enemy forces. The last mission was yer usual boss fight.
5. Colleague says the game had electronic music (techno?). He doesn't remember if it was a MIDI, MOD or AudioCD.
6. There were red minefields laid out on specific approaches towards enemy bases. He says that one mine took about 25% of life.
7. 2D graphics from isometric camera (Fallout, Diablo, etc.).

And no! It's not Bedlam. I asked him already. It's not that easy.

P.S. For my fellow countrymen: He claims the game was on one of the "Enter" magazines' cover CDs. The problem is, that "Enter" has been discontinued in 2010. The site is long gone now (though forum is still maintained by "Chip" mag). So the only way of checking what exactly was on those CDs is digging through Internet archives. And unfortunately the archive.org Wayback machine doesn't seem to be working well when it comes to checking the contents of databases. Not to mention that snapshots of '99-~'03 miss some months. So even checking "what's on current issue's CD" may not be accurate. Nevertheless, I will be sending him a link to those archives for browsing.
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What immediately comes to mind is Vindicators, as something similar to what you described. However, there is no PC version, so it's probably something else... Not sure what. Is it similar to Crusader series?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaru View Post
the game was on one of the "Enter" magazines' cover CDs.
...so this was most likely some forgotten-by-now shareware title. I too can't find anywhere a game with vector graphics, TRON-style, which I saw 10 years ago.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
...so this was most likely some forgotten-by-now shareware title. I too can't find anywhere a game with vector graphics, TRON-style, which I saw 10 years ago.
Hmmm, TRON style from 10 years ago... Could it be Tron 2.0?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I do not remember a game going by that description. Sorry.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
Hmmm, TRON style from 10 years ago... Could it be Tron 2.0?
No, you forgot the "one of those shareware games on ENTER CD" part.

Zaru, I think I found your game. On one of my ENTER CDs I had a subscription 10 years ago (CHiP as well).

http://www.reloaded.org/rate/194/4/

In return (out of joy, ahem) you could create a MobyGames entry, so that it's easier to find for others.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

Hah! This must be it! Wow! Nice find!
Thank you very much RRS and all of you guys for your efforts. I appreciate your help.
Though I admit that I had a moment of doubt after you suggested that it might be a shareware game. This made me think that finding it would be an impossible task to accomplish. After all there were hundreds of obscure shareware games in the 90s.

I'll pass this information to my colleague, I think he'll like it a lot.

About Moby...
I'm unsure if I'm a competent enough person to add an entry there for Outbound. Not only I've never did this before, but also I know absolutely nothing about this game. I didn't even know it existed until I was asked to find it several weeks ago.

P.S. Man, Abandonia Reloaded was the last place I'd have looked in. I'd never have thought that this game is just sitting there like that.
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
P.S. Man, Abandonia Reloaded was the last place I'd have looked in. I'd never have thought that this game is just sitting there like that.
It's your place if it's about independant made freeware games Also some configured ports of famous games, like the first System Shock running under plain Windows, which give more speed (but also few issues) in higher resolutions than under DosBox.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 13-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Smile

Quote:
About Moby...
I'm unsure if I'm a competent enough person to add an entry there for Outbound. Not only I've never did this before, but also I know absolutely nothing about this game. I didn't even know it existed until I was asked to find it several weeks ago.
The only question is: are you willing?
Obviously you have no problems with English. The game is free for playing. There's always short description on Reloaded to help. It's a simple shooter etc.
Maybe your buddy could provide a description?
PM me if you have questions, I'm a contributing member at MobyGames (currently in top 100 ).
Old 14-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
After all there were hundreds of obscure shareware games in the 90s.
He-he. Saying "there was a lot of obscure shareware in 90s" is like saying "ocean is a lot of salt water". I am trying to collect DOS-games, and my casual heap of pre-95 software is like 20 000 entries. Divide by three, because of inevitable repeats. Well, even by 5! Still too much to explore.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre