Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
zypa

Default Searching for a war game

Hello,
I am sure you are very busy with this site and I hate to bother but you are my last resort.
I'm looking for a particular game I played on the C64 back in the mid 80s.
It was a war game and you had the option of playing Germany, United States, Britain, France or Russia.
You had the option of starting the game at just before WWII or starting from scratch and the opening menu allowed you to handicap the countries.
Building your army included ships and troops only (it was not a terribly sophisticated game).
Different countries had different costs associated with building your army (Germany 10,000 troops cost $200,000 but in Britain, it cost $400,000 per 10,000 troops etc).
You could spy on other countries and bribe neutral countries.
Each country played their moves in rounds and after each round, the sounds of machine guns could be heard.
There was spring, summer, fall, and winter and if you held countries through winter, you would get money for each country you held.
I could provide more details as this game is vivid in my memory.
Look, I know you must get a hundred of these e-mails asking about a particular game here and there but I'm hoping you can take the time to help me relive my youth ;-)
I teach history and I'd like to introduce this game to my students (I teach in special education) as it really makes WWII very simple.
Like I said, you really are my last resort.
If you can help, it would be very, very much appreciated.
Thank you!
zypa is offline                         Send a private message to zypa
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Hey, the good thing about this place is that it is taken care of by more than just the staff

About the game: Sorry, I don't know, but I wondered if you checked the c64 sites out there? The "breadbox" has a lot of fans with their own sites and communities. What does Mobygames have to say? Silly questions, I know, this being your last resort and all, but still.

Good luck hunting it down and good luck with your teaching.

EDIT: Any of these? http://www.lemon64.com/

EDIT 2: Hmm, looks like the link only takes you to the main page. Go to Games and search for strategy games.

Last edited by Mighty Midget; 03-05-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Mighty Midget is offline                         Send a private message to Mighty Midget
Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Look, I know you must get a hundred of these e-mails asking about a particular game here and there but I'm hoping you can take the time to help me relive my youth ;-)
I'm not the one who takes care of Abandonia's contact e-mail, so can't say about these, but here on the forum we only get a couple such questions per week.

I don't recognize the specific game you're describing, but I recall a similar one (albeit even simpler) for Windows called WinWar II.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
o_unico
I'm Still Learning English

I need a teacher like you
but unfortunately i don't know this game, but there's a game very simple called "general 4.1", or try to find "civilization"
o_unico is offline                         Send a private message to o_unico