Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Sinofdamnation
Lurker

So, hi.
I know that many of you have played great games like Jazz Jackrabbit and One must fall(the best fighting game on computer ever)
But the sad thing is that you can't really get them from anywhere(except from some "warez" sites) So my friend got an idea of trying to get those legendary games released as freeware.
The petition for this is in http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/Epicfreeware
please sign up and spread wordof it if you like Epic megaGames games.
The goal is 10 000 signs and we have 3, so everyones signature is important!

OOC: I wasn't really sure if this is a right place for this...
OOC2: worth stickying?
Sinofdamnation is offline                         Send a private message to Sinofdamnation
Old 31-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Dark Piedone
Game freak

Send a message via MSN to Dark Piedone

Well... many of them are already abandonware, if you google a little you can find them to download and One must fall is already at abandonia.
Dark Piedone is offline                         Send a private message to Dark Piedone
Old 31-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Meh. I'm not sure I agree with this. A petition to say "abandon your unabandoned games" just seems to go against the definition of "abandon." I mean, they're still selling them.

Now if you had a petition to say that they need to release their games in some format easily playable and tested on modern systems or release them as freeware, then I'd sign that.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 06-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
chilledsanity

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ Jul 31 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]246162[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Meh. I'm not sure I agree with this. A petition to say "abandon your unabandoned games" just seems to go against the definition of "abandon." I mean, they're still selling them.

Now if you had a petition to say that they need to release their games in some format easily playable and tested on modern systems or release them as freeware, then I'd sign that.
[/b]

Yeah, I mean I have to agree, if the company is actually still selling/supporting their games, they DID develop it afterall, they can still sell them. Even though it goes against the abandonware code, what pisses me off is when game companies (like Sierra) abandon their games entirely, offer no support, no longer sell them, don't even aknowledge their existence on their website, yet because they are part of the ESA and/or some obscure guy somewhere still has 3 copies for sale, they're not considered abandonware. It's this mentality that can make some games become extinct, I don't understand the reasoning behind it if the company is literally making no profit off of the old game.
chilledsanity is offline                         Send a private message to chilledsanity
Old 06-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
velik_m
Game Wizzard

The only thing more pathetic than petitions are internet petitions.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Erm... Why would it goes against Abandonware? By this site definition anyways, we actually want companies to sell their games.

It's simple: Abandonware been created to make sure old games are not abandoned and forgotten. If a company still supports his old games and still sell them, then this goal been achieved.

As soon as the companies will stop supporting and sell their games again, we'll change the flag on the download screen and give the game freely again. Before that, it would be warez and against both the law and the Abandonware rules.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Why not making a petition that asks the companies to sell some of there older jewels?
Just a suggestion. But it might do more than asking them to give their games away for free....
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 AM   #8
STFM
Abandonia nerd

Does anyone else see the irony in asking a company to release a product for free by demonstrating the potential market size?
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 AM   #9
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Yeah, that too.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 11-08-2006, 07:09 AM   #10
deathdr_87

Well actually: a good idea for a company would be to release the old games as a free download from their website and then create new games in the same series or remakes of the old games and sell them. That way interest in a game is revived and then there is a good market to sell the games. Demonstrating a good market for a game is always good for the gamer. Heck they might make us pay for the games, but at least they'll be available. In that tone, sign the petition. (PS: I still believe old games should be available for free, but well. each to his own)
deathdr_87 is offline                         Send a private message to deathdr_87