Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #41
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The executable is standalone - everything the program uses from those two headers is added to the executable during compilation.

I've added status reporting. See how far this one goes before it crashes, and we'll know where is the problem.

Please show me the PCX file you tried to run through it. There might be something about that file that I didn't account for in the code.
Attached Files
File Type: rar lcaencoder.rar (12.4 KB, 1 views)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 13-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #42
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

First off, my apologies. The program may be working in its first iteration (I haven't gone back to check). It seems when I chose to save in version 2, although the graphic does not change on the screen nor does the application give me any sort of warning, it changes the palette to 16 colors, which is obviously a problem.

After correcting this, the second version you sent me did the job in an eye blink. After loading it as a replacement into Atlantis, it displays on the screen correctly, sort of. It has some extra stuff displayed which usually indicates there is additional information which is crowding out what needs to be displayed for the torch animation. Bleh...look here

Anyway, great job! I am off to investigate and will report back with what I find. I am sure it is something minor and I am sure it is something I didn't communicate to you correctly!

Last edited by Ohne Mitleid; 14-01-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Link no longer necessary
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid
Old 13-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #43
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

In which file is the sprite stored, and at what offset does it start?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #44
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Default Quick update

The graphics work perfectly...well, I haven't checked out the last one yet but I'm 99% sure it isn't an issue. As I said, it was my communication (or lack of knowledge about the issue) at fault here.

Four graphics to convert - 1.MNU, 2.MNU and 3.MNU for the shops, then FINISH.LBM for the ending. <<EDIT: All are working fine now>>The MNU files all have 19 bytes appended to them that repeat 00 0C in sequence, if that means anything to you because it makes no sense to me.<<EDIT: It turns out those are the end sequences, not beginning, for the sprites>> 1MNU and 3MNU have the first byte as 00 and 52 respectively, which have nothing to do with the graphic content but seems to affect something(?)...it shifts screen position for 3MNU if it isn't there. Everything I checked now seems to work though.

To answer your question: The sprites for the weapons change and animated torch are contained within the MNU files at different offsets dependent on the size of the graphic for the shop screen. This just means a cut, paste and append to the the newly (Thanks to you) converted graphics just need to have those appended, and that is very easy.

I'm going back to the game now to see if I can finish this up. This is pretty cool!

Last edited by Ohne Mitleid; 14-01-2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Corrections: Addendums
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid
Old 14-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #45
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Default Lost City translation Completed

If anyone made it this far into the post, some of the information I provided was either incorrect or conjecture that proved incorrect. I could ramble on about it, but I already do too much of that.

The game is now complete. Next steps? (These are all "Should I...? questions)
- Submit the pages I translated to grammar and / or translation forums?
- Submit a list of modifications I have made for approval
- Request someone's opinion on what they feel is better (a poll probably) ?
- Have the entire game play tested? I am too close to it and have seen it too many times to try new things that might "break" it.
- The doc provided in the Extras for this download does not accurately reflect and omits some of the information about the game controls. What should I do about that?

And then:
What now? How do I submit it? I don't think this is really a "hot" game, but I am hoping a few fans will want to try it out.

I also have a full screen shot map of Level one, World one that I would love to share but don't know how to go about that.

I would also like to edit out all links in previous posts I have provided so no one thinks I am spamming, advertising or trolling (even though I don't know what that last one means).

Final question: What's next that I can do with Abandonia? I don't have $$$ but I can do some things to contribute / donate.

And where is MrDeadly anyway?
Old 14-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #46
dosraider
Dismembered.

Seems to me it would be a real nice one to add as 'extra'.

Also: congrats, well done.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 14-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #47
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

If you want us to check your translations (I mean check the English version of what you have written not if its a correct translation) I would be happy for it to go into Grammar.

For the game I think it would be nice as an extra on the game page.

On the note of the Doc, write a new one with the correct info and we can see about uploading it.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 14-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #48
MrDeadly
Game freak

Default Have no fear, MrDeadly is here

Congrats guys! This is the best retro-game-related news I've had in a long time! You've made my weekend Ohne! Thanks so much for putting so much time and effort into bringing us (me!) an English version :-) Count me in for play testing, please PM me as soon as possible.

I can't say what the next step should be, but some play testing done by other gamers, and grammar/spell checking, can't hurt. Just to weed out possible annoyances. And a modifications-list would be nice just so that one can see what's actually changed from the original version. If the controls are inaccurately described in the original doc then the description should get a re-write in my opinion. At least as an updated doc that comes with this fan-version?

Oh, and I think the full screen shot maps you speak of would make an excellent "extras" download. I know I've often wanted a level-map while playing...
Old 14-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #49
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Default In order of appearance...

@dosraider: Thanks!
@DarthHelmet86: I will go about submitting for grammar
@MrDeadly: I will PM you as soon as I finish this post

The doc doesn't need to be rewritten in its entirety. I forgot when I posted that it refers to the shareware version of the game, and not the full game. The only things that really need to be changed are the number of levels per world and left / right commands for paddling (swimming slowly, unless someone has a better term).

This is the revision text content that will be included in the zip as ENGREV.TXT. The zip file contains all of the exact same files except for the files listed below, which were replaced.

January 14th, 2011
Changes have been made to the following files:

ATLANTIS.EXE
- All onscreen German text translated to English

START.LBM
- Corrected palette color so NOCH Software logo no longer has a lighter background
- Added revision notation to the bottom of the Production Team screen
- Removed Shareware from Lost City title screen
- Stylized the scrolling text for the intro movie to be more in theme with the game ending (and not broken at the end of sentences)

COMMON.LBM
- Changed 3rd sprite of Skill Level screen to read BEGINNER / MASTER instead of ANFÄNGER / MEISTER
- Performed the same change as above for on screen status bar skill level

1, 2 and 3.MNU
- Altered graphics to display in English

FINISH.LBM
- Translated to English and replaced graphics

Last edited by Ohne Mitleid; 15-01-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Discretion - may be in violation of forum rules *eeep!*
Old 15-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #50
MrDeadly
Game freak

I know this post will probably do nothing else then show how totally green I am about coding etc, but I just had an idea and I'm throwing it out here anyway. It is about the possibility of adding ingame-music to The Lost City of Atlantis. If it is possible to identify which "coding" enables music to play during the main menu, is it then possible to copy that coding and add it to a level, but then substitute that menu-music-track with something new? If not, are there any other ways we might be able to get ingame-music?