Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > On site
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #21
Mad-E-Fact
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Rugz@Apr 6 2005, 04:44 AM
Well i have amiga emulator ... amiga forever 6.0 plus pack and some kickstart roms too.

Its one of the hardest to run emulator i have yet seen ( if not all time hardest).

To begin with, every game needs a different cpu setting that you need to know beforehand ( a lot tougher than it actually sounds)

Ok there is a website that gives you setting for most games. So now you dont need to worry bout setting but those setting require different version of kickstart roms.

Oh but wait i have amiga forever 6.0 and* it has its own romset which is not used in any settings.

Ok so finally what if you discard all setting and run on default setting or some other setting you randomly tried ?
The answer is that game will run very fast or the game sound will go out of sync or it might not run at all.

Basically you will never ever have the same experience of playing the game that you should have.

The best way is to play game on dosbox.
Naaah. Aren't you exaggerating a bit?

People who owned an Amiga at one point basically know what settings they have to chose, and as you said, you get a config file for every game anway, so there's no need for trying "random settings". If you just chose random settings in DosBox, the results will be less than perfect aswell, just look at all the help requests we get on the forums concerning DosBox. And I don't know which roms came with your Amiga Forever, but mine included the 1.3 und 3.1 roms, which is all you need to run any game. 1.3 for the very old ones, 3.1 for the newer. Of course there are exceptions, but different Amigas had compatibility problems back in those days already.
Mad-E-Fact is offline                         Send a private message to Mad-E-Fact
Old 06-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #22
Rugz

Nah not really exaggerating. I first downloaded amiga emulator about 4 years ago thinking it would be as simple as a snes emulator.
Needless to say I couldnt run games properly and at that time i didnt even know we need special configs to run various games, but i did notice that tinkering with cpu speeds makes the game run differently. I gave up on it.

Now i again tried it coz i ran into this amiga forever website which said its very simple to run various amiga games/software due to amiga forever software.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad-E-Fact@ Apr 6 2005

People who owned an Amiga at one point basically know what settings they have to chose,
Totally disagree. I owned amiga 500 and 1200 for 5 years. Those computers act as consoles. you put the game disk in and bam you are at "start game screen" no commands no setting no nothing. Also even if there were any settings i doubt i would remember them after 10 years.

You basically need setting for amiga coz emulator doesnt know the cpu+kickstart rom combination to use. In amiga that was already done by the OEM. User never knew what speed his cpu is running at unless he reads the documentation. With emulator the problem is it doesnt know which amiga you trying to run out of 6-7 versions out there.

About the roms included in amiga forever pack mine are labelled "amiga-os-310.rom" etc, i believe this is not exactly kickstart 3.1 rom but a compatible for it (not really sure might be kickstart 3.1 with a different name). But yes you are right i checked i have almost all the versions in amiga forever.

Also another problem iam having is that i never owned an amiga HD. so i dont know how to create a HD for amiga and run games from HD rather than the disketter *.ADF format. The loading times from diskette on emulator a more than i would like.
Rugz is offline                         Send a private message to Rugz
Old 07-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #23
Mad-E-Fact
Games Master

See, that's the problem right there. Amiga was NOT just an expensive gaming console! There was lots of stuff you could do with it, if you took the time to learn it (and well, upgrade it too). I used to run word processors, painting programs, and even browse the web with my A1200 before I finally had to switch to PC, and when you do more with a computer that just play games, you also learn a lot about how they work. Like for instance that "amiga-os-310.rom" is the very same Amiga operating system version 3.1 that was running on the A1200.

Edit: Damn, that made me sound like a geek AND a fanboy... :crazy:
Mad-E-Fact is offline                         Send a private message to Mad-E-Fact
Old 10-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #24
Mr.Modem
Forum hobbit

I've played the Amiga version and it's awesome but i'm very curious about the PC-version. Have anyone successfully played it in dosbox? If you have, please send a working configuration file.
Mr.Modem is offline                         Send a private message to Mr.Modem
Old 10-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #25
Hadiel
Abandonia nerd

I'm looking for a game named Turrican 2 by Sunsoft... It was released on both the Commodore and the Amiga in 198X (X = any number) and on the PC in 198X +1 or so...

But... it has been re-remade for the SNES and frankly it doesn't even come near the original... The original game (PC version) has Much better graphics and a whole different game-area (eg: alien planets instead of towns) the soundtrack also owns a whole lot more (thank God for soundblasters )

If anyone or anything can provide me with information on where to "get" this game then i would be really Really grateful.

(please note: "get" isn't nessecairily "download")

Thanks up front:

7th_Hadiel_retrace
Hadiel is offline                         Send a private message to Hadiel
Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #26
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Great game, it's one of my favourites!

Turrican II: The Final Fight (1995) by Rainbow Arts & Factor 5 is Abandonware k:

I also recommend you this freeware game, it's really well done:

Turrican 2002 by Pekaro Software (on Abandonia reloaded)

http://www.reloaded.org/genre.php?quicksea...amp;x=0&y=0

Have fun
Old 21-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #27
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

I have all the material ready, need to improve the review first...
Patience or the Dave will be overloaded