Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: which games are better old games or new games
old games( 80s-90s) 68 82.93%
new games (year 2000-today) 14 17.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #41
Mara
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(troop18546 @ Apr 30 2005, 06:54 PM) [snapback]102508[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, I've enjoyed playing every single game I own... :whistle:
[/b]
So do I. If I spend money on a game, I wanna be sure I will like it (demo are good to test )

I don't buy really new games (mainly for prices resons ) Though I recently get Harry potter 4, trackmania Sunrise, and a second-hand myst 5 (12 euros instead of 50 cool!!)
geez!! 50 euros gone ! So now, you finish the games you bought before buying new ones
And new games tands to be harder too! (too hard sometimes).

Quote:
oh but i cant pay 35$ for a game i hear you cry, well the anser to that is to wait for it to go down in price[/b]
I'm becoming a pro at waiting k: For games, dvd, books, everytings !
the problem with olds games, is that they can not be easily found, or not at all...
Mara is offline                         Send a private message to Mara
Old 23-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #42
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mara @ Sep 23 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]256884[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
And new games tands to be harder too! (too hard sometimes).
[/b]
false? :blink:
older games were way more difficult than new ones. publishers wants to "sell the games" and tend to make a game more easy so every kid can complete and buy it
Old 23-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #43
Wildlotus

I think lots of newer games have lost the witty humour in character interaction so often characteristic of older games (think Monkey Island, Grim Fandango).

Although it is true that new games have the benefit of coming with state of the art graphics, I think lots of game publishers spend so much money and time on graphics that they compromise on witty dialogue.

Newer games are mostly about flashy graphics, awesome weaponry, advanced character animation ("lets make things bigger, let's makes things faster, let's make things grander") but quite lacking in individual character development, resulting in forgettable gameplay. You play it once and you go "Ok been there, done that. NEXT!" You seldom go "Hmm.. what if I had done this instead of that.. what if I had said this instead of that.. Let's start all over again because there were so many things I probably didn't explore the first time round.." - I think what I'm trying to say here is there is less replayability factor in new games.

Ah well, but that's just my two-cents worth. What do I know really..
Wildlotus is offline                         Send a private message to Wildlotus
Old 23-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #44
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildlotus @ Sep 23 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]256921[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
What do I know really..
[/b]
A lot, in my book. I agree that older games had greater playability due to more interesting characters, dialogue a.s.o. Also, I still find some really old ones (C64) really addictive still in a way I don't find in newer games. BUT: I do get dumbstruck by graphics if the game is a bit interesting. My problem here is that my machine doesn't cope very well with the latest, most brutal releases. But for entertainment value, I'd say the old games are sweeter.
Old 23-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #45
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm not going to play Wasteland or X-Com for longer than twenty minutes every day, but Day of Defeat Source, Battlefield 2, or Diablo II will keep me busy for longer.

It's just more fun.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 23-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #46
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you cant compare multiplayer and match games with single player games with story line..
Old 23-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #47
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes you can.
That's why we rate games with one score, instead of splitting it for multiplayer and singleplayer.

Even if you do single them out, you still have games like Snake Eater or Grand Theft Auto. Story has also gotten a lot better, play any of the MGS games or Indigo Prophecy, hell, try Killer 7.

Because we can do more, we're having more fun, you don't want to go back to butter churns or personal butcher houses do you?

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 23-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #48
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

no, comparing those games is like comparing book and footbal match
and it depends on taste of person who plays it, which he/she likes more

btw i played mgs and yes, it has good story. i didnt complain about story line of SP games o_O
Old 23-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #49
Wildlotus

Quote:
A lot, in my book. I agree that older games had greater playability due to more interesting characters, dialogue a.s.o. Also, I still find some really old ones (C64) really addictive still in a way I don't find in newer games. BUT: I do get dumbstruck by graphics if the game is a bit interesting. My problem here is that my machine doesn't cope very well with the latest, most brutal releases. But for entertainment value, I'd say the old games are sweeter.
[/b]
Hey Mighty Midget. Thanks for the compliment. And I think you said everything I wanted to say in a lot lesser words. I think you should give me a crash course in summative writing.
Wildlotus is offline                         Send a private message to Wildlotus
Old 23-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #50
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well - I chose option 2, because:

Technology is only improving and so are the games. Ofcourse, we like old games too, but they cannot be compared to games nowadays, with - storyline, graphics, AI and such.

BTW, you could've made this: 80's; 90's; Newer;
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546