Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

I have Intel too, but an old one without virtualization support (Core 2 Quad). I'm sure AMD processors can have virtualization support too.

The installer of VPC 2007 gives a compatibility warning on Win8.1. I can try to install it by jumping through some loops, but after MS failed me so miserably by not supporting their own product on their own OS, it looks more reasonable to try first a proven and professional product. Anyway I plan to have my way in the end.

I want a Win9x system because it's my way to cover games also from Win 3.x, until what should run natively. I could use DOSBox but only for Win 3.x, not 9x, and even so it's much more inefficient (not just graphics but even the CPU).

It's VirtualBox that supports direct hardware acceleration from XP on only, and I think it's still a beta/experimental feature disabled by default.

VMware offers direct hardware acceleration in any situation, I think. But I'm not sure if that's included in the free version ("Player"), or how easy it is to enable.
Old 22-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

VMWare have "deprecated support" for Win98, and Vogons says that there are no hardware acceleration for any non-NT Windows. (There is software acceleration though).
Old 22-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

I've read otherwise about hardware acceleration elsewhere, and I've enabled the option after telling VMware it was for Win98, which generated no complaint about support. I'll let you know...
Old 26-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Hmm... I am waiting then, thank you.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

Well I told you the story outside the forum, ;-) if anyone else is interested I can provide the extra details...

In short, support of Win9x by VMware Player (free) is very good, provided you install the necessary "VMware Tools". The only problem was the scaling issue.

I enabled the graphic acceleration option so it should work, but I couldn't really test it with the only old game that I tried. I've read from Google that it should work, although most of the reports came from people who were emulating modern Windows versions.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #16
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
I enabled the graphic acceleration option so it should work, but I couldn't really test it with the only old game that I tried. I've read from Google that it should work, although most of the reports came from people who were emulating modern Windows versions.
Yes, I am speaking exactly about this part. *sigh* Ok, I will try it myself then... When I'll have some free time... Thank you again!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
Japo
Autonomous human

If you know a program for Win9x with which I can test it quickly, I could give it a go. From Google I only read from people who just used the "Windows Experienced Index" on the guest system to determine if it was accelerated. But Win9x did not have this feature.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...perience-index
Old 05-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #18
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

We-ell... Try AI Wars, for example? It definitely can be set to hardware acceleration. First Resident Evil is another good example, but I fear, it was wonky even on real hardware, due limited selection of the videocards. Also, Recoil worked great with acceleration, I think, but I cannot remember if it takes choices or simply fallen back to software if you hadn't needed gear. Try it?