Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
kvn8907

I finally played a full game of Alter Ego (Man and Woman) today running regularly (meaning just double clicking on ALTEREGO.bat), then tested it out on DOSbox. I found it an interesting game, but there were a lot of things that just weren't right. So, I'll try to list as many as I can, and if I forget any, I'll edit this topic and add them in.

*The folder "Alter Ego (Man and Woman)" had two subfolders, "Alter Ego Male" and "Altere Ego Female" (not sure why it's named "Altere"). However, the Altere Ego Female is obviously the male version of the game, and vice versa, meaning they were obviously mislabeled.
*"Altere Ego Female" has the unnecessary subfolder "Alter Ego", while "Alter Ego Male" goes directly to the files
*"Alter Ego Male" has three files, AEGV.exe and AETV.exe which open to a perpetually blank screen, and Baby.scr (an empty file. 0 bytes) which won't run. ALTEREGO.bat appears to be the main program runner, and I'm not sure about those other three files
*Screenshots are impossible on the regular game. PrtSc and FRAPS do nothing. Screen captures possible on DOSbox
*Neither regular play nor DOSbox games can be saved. Regular running gives an error referring to line 75 or something, trying to save with DOSbox results in the game saying "File .\GAME4 not found in line 2707" "PRESS SPACE TO CONTINUE"
*It seems impossible to quit the game normally. Running regularly I need to use Control-Alt-Delete, and on DOSbox I need to quit DOSbox
*Certain events are missing. When that happens, the game gives an error message, then skips over the event, and other things need to be done to continue to the next stage
*At certain times, at least during regular play, the current event will just stop. For example, I had a steady girlfriend in Old Age, but when I tried to marry her, after selecting a ring and the text about what she thought of me, it said "PRESS SPACE TO CONTINUE" and the event quited, without even asking how I'd propose to her (btw, she was willing to marry from the box explaining what she thought of me)
*On this forum, when I tried to search for "Alter Ego", it gave me an error saying I needed all the keywords to be more than 4 characters. Seems kind of silly, I think.
*And finally, I think, just a little personal problem. How do I land a full-time job? I tried the whole game, but even though nearly all my skills were above 90, including Intelligence and Vocational, I went to college (dropped out, but I didn't understand how college could be completed. is it automatically completed by the next stage? Do you ever get to know whether you earned your major) and got years of future career training, everytime I tried to get a full-time job, each field said I didn't have enough life experience.

What, if any, of these problems can be solved? If you want more information on any of them, I'd be happy to give it.
kvn8907 is offline                         Send a private message to kvn8907
Old 28-05-2007, 03:29 AM   #2
ianfreddie07
wat

Where did you get it? Here on the site?
Old 28-05-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
kvn8907

QUOTE(ianfreddie07 @ May 27 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]291638[/snapback]
Quote:
Where did you get it? Here on the site?
[/b]
yep
kvn8907 is offline                         Send a private message to kvn8907
Old 09-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
thisaccountdoesnotexist
Wink Alter ego

There are some major glitches in this game, ive experienced most the ones mentioned here.

overall a good game. the first time i played my character died of liver disease
second time i had 2 kids and a forever husband. died in old age on my way to the store. >:O