Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #21

Have you ever rad the Handbook of the game? You will get many informations about Zeppelin. And there fate was only sealed because they are not very usefull in war.

Old 29-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #22
good idea oh lord

@ strangelove

I played the game and it was too hard and too dry for me, too. Nevertheless the subject and the design of the game still attract me in a certain way.

I found your review very good in describing the game, although 2 points seems a bit harsh for such a well written business sim.

By the way: During the first war airships were used on both sides and in the second world war it was the British who started the bomb raids on Germany, not the other way round. Throwing bombs wasn't a German invention, but a generally accepted war strategy used mainly by the Allies not the Germans.

And although you are right that the raids had no effect on the outcome of the war, I wouldn't call half a million slain men, women and children on both sides merely a 'psychological effect'.

After the war all German patents went to the Allies and they made extensive use of them.

Zeppelins just weren't useful in war, and were rather unreliable without the satellite support of today, so the money for development went into planes.

Airships could be highly useful in civil areas nowadays and be it just for ecological reasons. But Helium is still quite expensive.

This said: In my opinion your description of the game is excellent and interesting to read. So I would give your review 5 points. ;-)

For our non-German friends: The company Zeppelin still exists and drives a huge Zeppelin-airship, which is still a majestic sight.

Old 30-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #23
anonymous

the sched flights are easy to set up, only the annoying thing with them is, when you activate one produced zeppelin you can't take it back to the wharf to reassign it for sched-route flights ....

but sched-flight zeppelins can be put back to the wharf to activate them as a "manually" driven zeppelin ...

you need at least 4 zeppelins in medium managed offices to have a win situation, and i have lvl 3 zeppelins now, good thing is, that sched-flight zeppelins get all updated for nothing when your research goes to the next lvl

I managed to get a lot of production contracts in the beginning, to make up some money, and a little loan of 500000 did the job. After 12 sold zeppelins i had about 12.000000 pounds and began to produce for myself, so i now have 1 lvl 1, 2 lvl 2 zeppelins for manual flight and 3 lvl 3 zeppelins for sched flights, still making a little loss. I still own 65% of my company , have 40 workers and 20 scientists working fulltime for me

Old 30-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #24
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh that sucks! That is why I wasn't able to set them up. Only newly contructed zeps! crap.
Perhaps it will be fixed in a patch.

or not

Is it possible to upgrade your zep?

My current game is gone ( did some testing and ended up owning many millions)

You said you managed to get contract jobs. I only had one bidding for such but the country wouldn't go more than a couple of millions. If you accepted such low contracts how did you make a profit?

Just 20 scientists and 40 workers? It must take ages for you to develop anything!
I put 200 workers to construct one, though I admit it costs a lot of money. Perhaps I should change that, but that would mean a zep contruction would take more than a year, right?

Does the game have a fixed end date?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 31-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #25
anonymous

>Is it possible to upgrade your zep?

As I said, I only found out, that the zeppelins doing the sched flights get upgraded automatically, the other stay what they are. I still found no way to put them back without name and reassign them for sched flight

>You said you managed to get contract jobs. I only had one bidding for such but the country wouldn't go >more than a couple of millions. If you accepted such low contracts how did you make a profit?

I found out about 2 kinds of bidding
one where you just choose a sum and then you see if you won the contract or not
one where you have to do a little game, on the upside of the screen is a line which shows, how fat the decision of the customer is, to the right you see the competitors value, to the left yours and downside of the screen the value the customer is currently willing to give. Just a few pixel before the line on the upside of the screen is full you should touch with your value the value of the customer, and you get the contract.

having about 3.500.000 - 4.000.000 pounds per zeppelin was enough for me to start with 30 workers and 10 scientists in the beginning and make some money, later increasing them to 40 and 20 (scientists are really expensive ...)

>Just 20 scientists and 40 workers? It must take ages for you to develop anything!
>I put 200 workers to construct one, though I admit it costs a lot of money. Perhaps I should change >that, but that would mean a zep contruction would take more than a year, right?

yes, i am now on 12/21/1908 and i am short of going into plus, it takes avg 3 years for the scientists to develop the next lvl and 125 days for one zepp to build ... but i did not need long or big loans to come to this point and still have stock left ....

>Does the game have a fixed end date?

dunno

Old 31-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #26
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Interestic strategy, I will try that. Thank you.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 03-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #27
graf zeppelin

Does anyone know, whats the aim of the game? I have developed the highest Zeppelin research level and have over 50 000 000 pounds, no credits or sold my firm. I am married to Roseanne.

So when the game finishes. Have all records won.

thanx

Old 03-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #28
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well there are quite a few old games that have no real ending (like with Pirates, Railroad Tycoon, Sim City,...). I think this is one of those games, where you can't win. When you think you've achieved enough - that's it!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 06-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #29
@cehole

This game is in any reality a 2 its sad sepia still graphics gives you about twenty minutes entertainment and after that you think why did I bother!
@cehole is offline                         Send a private message to @cehole
Old 07-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #30
balacay

Nice game! I can't think how, all the others who added a reply here, said that it is a hard game. It's the year 1906 in my game and I have 50 000 000 pounds.
Simple game! By the way does anybody know if I can put one of the three zeppelins in my command back in the depot so i ca sell them or put them in a rout?

Nice game! k:

By the way the name of Sebastianos's zeppelin in the screenshot has the exact name of my airship (COLOSUS). Nice don't you think? Nooooooooooo..............!

balacay
balacay is offline                         Send a private message to balacay