Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #11
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Most people agree that C64 version is the best, next would be the Amiga, then Atari, PC and at the bottom Spectrum. I'm not sure where NES would be though.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 23-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #12

Actually, the PC was far from being inferior to the C64 in 1987. The VGA card, which was released in 1987, was capable of 256 colors, the C64 only supported 16. In fact, even the EGA card from 1984 allowed resolutions of up to 640 x 350 while the C64's maximum resolution was 320 x 200. It is true that it had better animation and sound capabilities, but the PC had a much more versatile processor (and I don't even want to start talking about the memory...), and some games, e.g. Maniac Mansion (released in 1987), looked a lot better on the PC (though the scrolling wasn't as smooth).

The real reason why most PC versions of C64 games in the late 80s looked worse than the original is that, unlike today, most game companies were afraid to sacrifice potential customers by using state of the art technology.

Old 27-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #13

The NES conversion had more superior sounds, gameplay, graphics and well - it had everything improved! There was only one thing that annoyed the people - the difficult level was just too much. Many of the players never knew the half-3D action in the second stage, or the night raid on level three because they simply didn't get past from the jungle stage! That's why it was rejected by many - the nintendo worshipper were used to 'quick' games, which were easy to finish.

The intro and outro videos were pretty cool too, though confusing a bit.

Old 29-07-2005, 05:19 AM   #14
Grey

Does anyone know of a similar game called 'Fireforce'?
I had it on the amiga when I was a youngin', I've been searching for it ever since.

It's side scrolling, but much more realistic. and fun.

Just vaguely curious if anyone's heard of it.

Old 21-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #15
uk_john2005
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 23 2005, 04:05 PM) [snapback]134327[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Actually, the PC was far from being inferior to the C64 in 1987. The VGA card, which was released in 1987, was capable of 256 colors, the C64 only supported 16. In fact, even the EGA card from 1984 allowed resolutions of up to 640 x 350 while the C64's maximum resolution was 320 x 200. It is true that it had better animation and sound capabilities, but the PC had a much more versatile processor (and I don't even want to start talking about the memory...), and some games, e.g. Maniac Mansion (released in 1987), looked a lot better on the PC (though the scrolling wasn't as smooth).

The real reason why most PC versions of C64 games in the late 80s looked worse than the original is that, unlike today, most game companies were afraid to sacrifice potential customers by using state of the art technology.
[/b]
And that, my friend is why PC gaming sales are about 1/5 of what they were back in the day when "companies were afraid to sacrifice potential customers by using state of the art (read 'hardware that hardly anyone has yet') technology"
uk_john2005 is offline                         Send a private message to uk_john2005