Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Metal: Needed or Unneeded?
Slayer 5 4.81%
Metallica 21 20.19%
Gwar 2 1.92%
Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society 8 7.69%
Anthrax 1 0.96%
Slipknot 4 3.85%
Other (please specify) 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #71
Heretic

Ahhh.. i had a sneaking suspicion there might be a few people here into more extreme forms of metal/music.. Cheers to those who had mentioned : Ved Buens Ende, Saint Vitus, (older) Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Ulver, Sunn O, (older) Satyricon, (older) Ancient etc, Helheim and Krieg!

I enjoy all of these, as well as a lot more obscure atrists as well.. although am just somewhat reluctant to name many of them.

Great to see the blend of oldschool gaming and such advanced forms of art reach more than just a few it seems.

Also, Moonstride, i notice you've posted a number of Australian acts on here, yet your profile says you are from Norway? Was just wondering about your interest in Aussie stuff. So.. "Good on ya" to you.
Old 21-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #72
Iowa
Game Wizzard

This is actually only my second year of being a metalhead ...I haven't heard of any of the bands you just mentioned (except for Ulver).

For some reason I have trouble finding metal that I actually like...Iowa is probably the most intense stuff that I can like, because any more and it's just off-beat drums, tuneless vocals, and pointless guitar riffs. Well, I don't know if you'd consider Mudvayne, but I do really, really like "Dig".

Show of hands, who likes "Dig"? :w00t:
Old 21-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #73
Heretic

I dig "Dig" a bit...

And though i am predominantly into black metal music i also dig Slipknot as well, although i have no shortage of people telling me what i am not supposed to like though. Though for bands like Slipkknot, it seems very much that many people are all too happy to jump on the f*ck!ng bandwagon of ragging on Slipknot, or that its "cool" to rag on them. Im not interested in following this trend.

I actually respect the fact that youve said youre only just getting into this style of music and havent heard this or that rather than coming out and pretending that you had (been around for years and heard this that and the other) so bravo to ye. Its when people do come out and make all these claims to be deeply into this or that, im thankful still as it makes posers easy to spot from a mile away.
Old 21-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #74
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Heretic @ Aug 21 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]250019[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I enjoy all of these, as well as a lot more obscure atrists as well.. although am just somewhat reluctant to name many of them.
[/b]
Dark Throne ? Dimmu Borgia ?
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 21-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #75
Moonstrider
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Heretic @ Aug 21 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]250019[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Also, Moonstride, i notice you've posted a number of Australian acts on here, yet your profile says you are from Norway? Was just wondering about your interest in Aussie stuff. So.. "Good on ya" to you.
[/b]
Nothing more to it than there happens to be a lot of great bands from Australia. Are you from Australia ? If you are, and know any members of those bands tell them to get their asses up here and have a concert for us. :w00t: Especially Virgin Black and Psycroptic (they were here not so long ago btw, great concert).

I like Cryptal Darkness a lot too. The old stuff anyway. I'm not too into the Eternal stuff...

And please name your obscurities. I want to hear them !
Moonstrider is offline                         Send a private message to Moonstrider
Old 22-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #76
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

Norway rocks
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 22-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #77
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Correction: Norway is made of rock :P. And I'm not talking music. Man, if you knew how many half-a$$ bands we got here, you would have flipped it. With a few exeptions, it seems to me that the majority of Norwegian rock/metal bands are about a decade too late. Geez, some are still living in the 80's. and they're not being ironic about it either. Ok, you got BM and that crowd, but I believe they are being caught up by bands from other countries, and the 'Scandinavian Rawk' scene is terminally ill.

Personally, I think the best (as a rock guy) metal comes from the UK or the USA. I never got that German Speed Metal scene.
Old 22-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #78
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

England for sure there are some, the notables, Priest and Maiden, the U.S doesn't have many that are still stellar as used to be, Dream Theater, Kamelot, maybe Queensryche, Megadeth.

Germany though has some good bands, have you forgotten one of the thrash legends, Kreator, legends who are still doing well today, Blind Guardian another excellent band that seems to be getting bigger year after year, let's not forget Edguy either another very talented band, there are some more but those are some of the bigger ones that thought would mention.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 22-08-2006, 07:45 AM   #79
Heretic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moonstrider @ Aug 22 2006, 06:35 AM) [snapback]250084[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Nothing more to it than there happens to be a lot of great bands from Australia. Are you from Australia ? If you are, and know any members of those bands tell them to get their asses up here and have a concert for us. :w00t: Especially Virgin Black and Psycroptic (they were here not so long ago btw, great concert).

And please name your obscurities. I want to hear them !
[/b]
Firstly yes, im Australian born and bred, although im not a "Native Australian". Second its great to hear that you think so, so many people when asked what Aussie metal they like reply : ACDC, which is fair enough i suppose haha, but not particularly hard to not have heard. :P I cant really think of too many Aussie acts that wouldnt like to go to Norway to do some shows!

I wasnt aware that Psycroptic or Virgin Black had visited you guys, but its cool to hear they had. I wonder how was the response/turnout? Because as you know it costs more than a few shiny gold pieces to trek to Norway. I do know a number of promoters here in W.A as well as in the eastern and southern states so if you know of many bands that might 'pull' well there then give them a mention and ill see what the promoters and bands think if i know them. I have personal contact with a few of the bands i suppose, but the rest is through no more than mere emails which of course anyone can find should they look.

Some personal favourites from my homeland would be : Abyssic Hate, Impact Winter, Darklord, Nazxul, Portal, Hated By Humanity, Destroyer666, Pestilential Shadows, Lord Kaos (r.i.p/defunct) Disembowelment, Avrigus.. i could go on and on, but this is a short list of ones that i thouroughly enjoy.

World wide.. aside from more 'known' acts like Immortal or Dissection (farwell Jon N) i llisten to stuff like Behexen, Sargeist, Velvet Cacoon, Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega etc.. i figured id just name again, some of the more well known 'obscure' bands.. though there are more than a handful of artists i know of that would rather themselves not to be named publicly. Wishes which i respect.

Maybe sometime in the future ill even drag one of my bands up to nice sunny Norway

Cheerz
Old 22-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #80
Horoma
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Aug 21 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]250004[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
While I understand how you could feel this way, I highly disagree. You must be one of those people that just can't stand the noise [/b]
You don't know how far off you are.

I don't find metal to be noisy at all. But I do think I have several records in my collection that are so noisy, YOU would probably not be able to listen to them very long.

All depends on what you call noise. Metal just builds a solid wall of sound, that is best consumed at high volume. If you like to call that noise, then go ahead, I just have a different opinion. If you want to have an idea what noise is really about, you could try to get your hands on some Merzbow for instance, or perhaps some good old SPK. Compared to that, most metal music is just boring.

Besides, if I thought metal was too noisy, I wouldn't mention my favourite metal bands, would I ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Aug 21 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]250004[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
and the majority of metal bands probably don't interest you because...let's face it, there are alot of metal bands that suck.

And what do you mean by "better quality"?
[/b]
Now you say it yourself : there are alot of metal bands that suck. Which means metal as a genre is not that great, though some individual metal bands are really great. In some other genres (psychedelic rock, jazz, industrial, etc), there are more interesting artists, and less artists that suck, which makes me value these genres a lot higher.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Heretic @ Aug 22 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]250132[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hated By Humanity, Destroyer666
[/b]
These bands' choice of a name isn't really a sign of great creativity. And that was an understatement.
Horoma is offline                         Send a private message to Horoma