Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
NMT2k2

Default NMT2k2 - SIM CITY Classic - for DOS

In the fourm for Sim City Classis, there are several comments lamenting the fact that the downloadable for that game is the kludgy Windows port. I have the DOS version, and I would be happy to upload it. I understand that this is contingent on "Abandonded" status, so if Those Who Know These Things say it's OK, please let me know.

PS - I run the game under DOSBox in Win XP sp 2, and it plays just fine.

NMT2k2
NMT2k2 is offline                         Send a private message to NMT2k2
Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

BentleyVA has a cracked Version of SimCity. Perhaps that is better than your version? Maybe you can submit Review and Screenshots?

Check this and talk with BentleyVA what he and you should do?

We would be glad to see the DOS-Version on Site.

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
BentleyVA
Abandonia nerd

I just u/l my cracked version and some screen shots.
BentleyVA is offline                         Send a private message to BentleyVA
Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
NMT2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleyVA View Post
I just u/l my cracked version and some screen shots.
I am not sure I know what "cracked" means in this context. The game I have required no verification to play. Just run the .exe file and I am off and running. No "cracking" needed.

nmt2k2
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
BentleyVA
Abandonia nerd

My version originally required one to use a "copy-resistant" sheet that you would look up some symbols on and type either the corresponding city name or population. I have "cracked" the game so you can just play it. I have owned my version since I copied it from a friend from 5 1/4 originals years ago.

Do you have the open source version that shipped with the "one laptop for every person" or some such thing?

EDIT: If we do have two different versions, then we should probably have a separate page for the DOS versions with both included. While I am happy that I was able to crack my version, if NMT2k2 has a version that runs better on XP/Vista and has no copy protection, that would probably be the superior version.

I will still be able to u/l the Terrain Editor eventually though.

Last edited by BentleyVA; 06-03-2009 at 12:17 AM.
BentleyVA is offline                         Send a private message to BentleyVA
Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
NMT2k2

The version I have is one that I originally bought retail in the box on (I think) two or three 720k diskettes. It was never copy protected, so it has not been "cracked". The following text is from their readme file:

Quote:
SimCity Classic DOS
Last Minute Information
August 1, 1993
-----------------------------

COPY PROTECTION:
---------------
SimCity Classic is NOT copy protected. The Red Sheet from previous versions of SimCity is gone. Please, please, oh pretty please do not give away copies of SimCity to your friends. Heck, don't give copies to your enemies either. Illegal copies do terrible things to wholesome software companies like us, and will make us raise our prices. Besides, if we find out you gave away an illegal copy of SimCity Classic, we'll tell your mother. THEN you'll be in BIG trouble...
Also, you mention terrain editor. I don't know if the terrain editor was a feature on later versions, but this function is integrated with the program I am offering. Please see attached sreenshot.

Finally, if this meets with your approval, the only thing remaining is to UL it. What is the next step in that process.

NMT2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleyVA View Post
My version originally required one to use a "copy-resistant" sheet that you would look up some symbols on and type either the corresponding city name or population. I have "cracked" the game so you can just play it. I have owned my version since I copied it from a friend from 5 1/4 originals years ago.

Do you have the open source version that shipped with the "one laptop for every person" or some such thing?

EDIT: If we do have two different versions, then we should probably have a separate page for the DOS versions with both included. While I am happy that I was able to crack my version, if NMT2k2 has a version that runs better on XP/Vista and has no copy protection, that would probably be the superior version.

I will still be able to u/l the Terrain Editor eventually though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC4LowRes.jpg (81.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

@NMT2k2 you can uploads the game on FTP. we will then check what will be put on Site. you have FTP-info?

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
NMT2k2

No, no FTP uploader - not since I was on Compuserve. Any web based uploading available?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

FTP is just a protocol. There can be web-based FTP clients. Actually Windows can do FTP on its own.

Wait I'm sending you a PM...

EDIT: Forgot to tell, create a folder with your name and place everything there.

Last edited by Japo; 11-03-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
NMT2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
FTP is just a protocol. There can be web-based FTP clients. Actually Windows can do FTP on its own.

Wait I'm sending you a PM...

EDIT: Forgot to tell, create a folder with your name and place everything there.

That seems to be working, BUT, I got a message saying that I do not have permission to rename the folder. Seems that I have no choice but to leave it as "New Folder". So, whoever monitors the uploads, when you see the "New Folder" it has all the Program Files for Sim City for DOS, AND, an additional folder the screenshots I just took.

Hope you all like this version. Plays very well in DOSBox.

Technically, it plays natively under XP, but all of the text in the game is garbled. Don't know about XP Pro.

NMT2k2