Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Approved Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Gaming4JC
Abandonia nerd

Cool Odell Down Under

To my knowledge this epic game is probably abandonware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The player takes on the role of a fish who in turn must eat, stay clean and avoid being eaten by predators to survive. There are several modes of gameplay. In Tournament mode, the player plays every fish in the game, starting as the tiny silver sprat and eventually reaching the great white shark. A shorter Challenge mode picks four random fish (from smallest to largest) instead. The player can choose to play any fish in Practice Mode. Finally, in Create-A-Fish the player creates their own species based on various parameters such as size and agility, which also affect the appearance of the fish. The color, special ability, and nocturnal or diurnal habits are also selected. Special moves, also present for some 'real' fish, include the stingray's sting and the cuttlefish's ink squirt.
--Source: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ell_Down_Under

It is also listed on:
http://www.cdosabandonware.com/std_g...hp?gameid=2137

Free Demo download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/c9cf9y...pm/windemo.zip

So why not add it to abandonia?
Gaming4JC is offline                         Send a private message to Gaming4JC
Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Well, this particular game was made for Windows, though Abandonia mostly specializes on Ms-Dos games with only few exceptions, if any, as far as I know. Not even Castle of the Winds is available here though it was proposed before, being a definite classic.
Don't get your hopes too high up, though it does look interesting
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 10-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I don't see any problem with a Windows game getting on here as long as it meets the AB rules, we do have other Windows games on here. However getting it to run might take a bit more work then normal. Old Windows games often don't like being on a new Windows version and not at all on a 64 bit Windows.

If this game is Win 3.1 then we have Dosbox running Win 3.1 around here somewhere, if it is Win 95 that leaves a VPC...and we won't be able to link to a Win 95 download for it (*cough cough* that would be warez from what I understand *cough*). Let us wait and see.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

I don't think this buy-link from Once Sold Tales counts (especially since it not only has a C- rating from the BBB, but they also classify it as a used and rare book seller), but just in case it's one of the few sites with limited inventories of games that count as valid, I thought I'd post it.

Proud Beta Tester for Desura Since October 28, 2010
Expack2 is offline                         Send a private message to Expack2
Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Well, this particular game was made for Windows, though Abandonia mostly specializes on Ms-Dos games with only few exceptions, if any, as far as I know. Not even Castle of the Winds is available here though it was proposed before, being a definite classic.
Don't get your hopes too high up, though it does look interesting
As Darth said, Abandonia is about abandoned PC games, no matter if they're for DOS or Windows. We do already have quite some games for Windows, and although we have so many more games for DOS than for Windows, since the former are older and more of them met the abandonware definition earlier, that's liable to change steadily over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
Old Windows games often don't like being on a new Windows version and not at all on a 64 bit Windows.
No, it's not like that. In principle, any application for Windows 95 (32-bit) and later should work just fine (folder permissions aside) in any newer version of Windows, even x64.

It's only 16-bit applications (for Windows 3.x and older) that plainly don't work in x64 Windows, and in 32-bit Windows NT and newer (up to 7 32-bit) they run with a compatibility layer.

But of course some applications give this or that problem, and the likelihood of problems goes up with the version differential. And for games and other media-intensive applications the likelihood goes up exponentially, probably because they include hacks outside the Windows API and DirectX.

There's the compatibility tab, but when that doesn't work, as Darth said it's ironically harder to run a Windows game than a DOS game (thanks to DOSBox) in newer Windows.

Last edited by Japo; 13-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo