Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Thumbs down It's official: Resident Evil is DEAD!

Millennial people love the new RE2 remake, yet it's basically just RE4 in Raccoon City. It has the exact same crappy style that all the games since 2005 have had, just with the RE Engine introduced in 7: Biohazard about 2 years ago, and Leon does not have the same horror film type edge any more, and nor is his hair even orange any longer. He's so generic sounding, and resembles a teen pop idol. I'm sure you know which one...

I don't know why people on Twitter call the new Mr. X "scary". LMAO! Give me a break...

Where's the head stomping? The door opening scenes? The very EXCELLENT noises from the original? The tension? This game has none of this. Nothing in this game reminds me of when I first got into survival horror games, some 20 years ago. It's overrated trash!

If you wanna see a great remake, play the first remake. It's the same game from 1996...but made to be 100 times better! And it's actually scary. Besides Mr. X chasing you around like the Nemesis character in the third game, this entry really does nothing for me. That first remake I speak of is a game from 2002 that still looks amazing with the HD update or not, in 2019.

When RE8 finally comes out, I'm sure all Capcom will do is cut and paste BS from other titles. Revelations 2 = everything taken from The Last of Us...
Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted
Old 30-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I thought you'll complain about the difficulty.
Crap, I hate the idea of these "difficulty-adjusting" engines. If I'm getting good I want to feel I'm doing well!

Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Unhappy

This hasn't been 100% confirmed, but supposedly, RE8 will be about the secret lab that developed Eveline, the girl who was in 7.
Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted
Old 02-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What I cared for this remake was ToFu.

While the map forit looks confusing for me whodid not play the game actualy, it is nice to have 5 tofus (2 unlocked by every playthrough):
#1 knives (not sure how these work, looks random watching the videos...)
#2 grenades: can be thrown, but basicaly works alsoas knives, aka. if you get grabbed, you use one ofthese to get rid of the zombie.
#3 fire grenade launcher and machine gun, almost no healing
#4 revolver (what Claire had as special weapon in the original, but this seems reload itself by time) and a lot of healing
#5 machinegun, teaser, grwenade launcher (what Schwarzenegger used in Commando, not the original version's version)
Old 10-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Question

Why just Tofu?
Old 10-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hunted View Post
Why just Tofu?
Well, I only played Re2, and is familiar with to a degree 1, 3 and 4.

One with its multiple ending is a direction of gamesI never liked. Sry, I'm a completionist, and those games frustrate me.
3 had a bad reputation overtly focusing on Nemesis, what couldn't carry the game according to those who had the machine to play it.
And 4 looked a lot like a shot 'em up/early multiplayer games, which I didn't participate in, neither developeda feeling for - although by the video material I recognised it as a good game in its genre, and a good marketing decision seeing the final result.

Now this leaves me with the nostalgia of Re2, which I was pretty good back then amongst the hungarian community.
We here had no access to any supporting material, so we actualy tried to unlock Akuma, and to that I played the main game over and over with just pistol, although I definitely played most with Leon A, infinite ammo, armless special outfit.
The code did not influence the ranks, and the B missions demand using a rocket launcher, while the mythical requirements demanded "pistol only" you know.

My problem with the main story parts nowdays is, they take an extensive amount of time, and I'm just too busy with other stuff. So I'm left with the minigames.

There were 3 minigames:
- Extreme Battle Mode, which is just frustrating with its random factor, and mini-spiders everywhere, and stuff (I'm not fond of random, and I'm definitely not a pro-gamer, I'm definitely your average talent gamer, who gravitate toeasy, but legit solutions, so I'm a good resource solving hard parts if they can be solved - many games don't allow loopholes, 'cause they're made specificaly for pros). It's not exactly hard, but very frustrating. I don't like frustration.
- The 4th Survivor, aka. Hunk. This is just a totaly fine minigame. You learn it, and gives you an adrenaline-rush at any casual time. But that's it. This is a better made "Candy Crush Saga level".
- and there's ToFu

ToFu mode in the original was the Non Plus Ultra Skill Challenge.
The map was fixed, so it definitely went back to knowledge. Not talent, not luck, no bullshit - but dedication. You practiced enough, you could make it.
It was also Over 9000 hardcore difficult. While a whole run took 10-20 minutes (I did if remember correctly 14 minutes and some), it took YEARS to finish it the first time, and it was a collaborative progress too, people sharing online info how to do room after room.

So the ToFu-run for me is one of my legends. It's a thing that never got easy, always told the world, you are that good. And the same time it didn't take a week to pass through, so you could go back and do it again.

That's why.
Old 16-02-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Thumbs down

So, I recently beat the game with both characters, and I don't see what the hype is about. The original is way more creepy.

Remember that music you heard as you solved the book shelves puzzle? That isn't in the 2019 game at all, unless you use the original soundtrack.

It's not scary - at all. It has a lot of jump scares, and some enemies were removed. The plants and spiders are notable creatures they were too lazy to put in. And this time, there is no...ZOMBIE BRAD!

Old 16-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
So, I recently beat the game with both characters, and I don't see what the hype is about. The original is way more creepy.

The hype is probably the graphics, the AI, the updated-but-familiar content.
I'm not even sure the original version would still run on the new machines.

Even for the graphic it deserved a remake to keep the game alive.
It deserves to be preserved not just because it was a good game, but became a classic for giving a shitton of worthy content for the customer. It did worth like two and a half game for its price. And its reputation is still unbroken.
Old 22-08-2019, 02:26 AM   #9
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

Thumbs down

One thing I hate about RE4/5/6 is all the gimmicky crap in those games. Like, here's an example...

When you kill the villagers, and all the soldiers and whatever, they drop bullets, points, or cash. Not even the zombie cops in the old games did that, and the games in general were 1000 times more scary. Not to mention that the plot was way better as well, and Capcom used to give a damn about fleshing out the story. It was like you were living out a horror film that made you the player. But while you did shoot the creatures, it was still scary, and you felt like you were in constant danger, and what made it tricky too was that enemies would often be off the screen. In the recent games, you also have numbers to indicate where to go next.

RE4 kind of feels like a horror game laced with heavy doses of Hollywood action and way too many elements of fantasy. It does not feel like a true sequel, at least not in retrospect. Sure, Leon is in it, but they mostly don't bring up the events of Raccoon City or Umbrella at all, apart from at the start and maybe once thereafter, Leon explains this to Luis. That's it. Within 10 minutes of the story beginning, you're just spending the rest of the game killing the same looking bad guys, collecting stuff, saving people, and doing more killing.

I think the remake we got this year is just a cash grab. It had so much cut content, to the point where it rightfully deserves to be called a newly imagined game and NOT an actual remake. The DLC should have been more story driven, but in the end, it sucked. It's a pretty forgettable game, because I've never been in a hurry to play it again.

The A and B scenarios did not feel at all unique. How the heck can the two characters see Annette dying, as if it occurs twice?

Sorry, but Capcom just doesn't get it, and they aren't even the same Capcom. It's just the name. Maybe they will improve the franchise someday. But I hope the next non remake game they do is actually appealing again!

Old 22-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
I think the remake we got this year is just a cash grab. It had so much cut content, to the point where it rightfully deserves to be called a newly imagined game and NOT an actual remake. The DLC should have been more story driven, but in the end, it sucked. It's a pretty forgettable game, because I've never been in a hurry to play it again.

You what's cashgrab? Blizzard selling Diablo 1 for money.
It should have been free for download on GoG.