Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
slick_j_2002

Hello, every and any one. I'm a new member of this forum and I'd first like to say that this seems like an absolutely fantastic community. I can't wait to get more experienced with this stuff so I can help others out like you guys do. But for now, be prepared to deal with a big mess I'm in. :P

Anyway, on to my subject. I bought the SWAT Career Pack online and it arrived today. It comes with Police Quest 1, 2, 3, 4, the VGA remake of 1, SWAT 1, and SWAT 2. Completely AWESOME pack, if you ask me, and Amazon has it for a great price. So the first thing I did, of course, was install PQ1 through 4 off a single CD. The install went fine apart from the testing procedure being wonky on the CD-ROM speed and it yelling at me several times for not being in 256 color mode.

After the install though, when I went to play one of the games (using the shortcut from the Start menu), it gave me an error message saying "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'close' to terminate the application."

My system might be the problem. It's a Dell laptop with a widescreen display (800x600 min, 1680x1050 max) running Vista (Yeah, yeah, I know...). Alright, time for my actual questions:

- Will I be able to get it working in Windows using compatability settings? (And if so, anyone have any idea which ones would work?) Or do I need to install the DOS versions and run it in DOSBox?

- As far as the 256 color mode goes, is that 16 bit? That's the lowest my graphics card will allow, so I hope so... If I need 8 bit, any way I can arrange for that to happen?

- I don't reckon I configured my CD drive to be mounted in DOSBox. How do I do that?

I know it's a lot of crap to read with a bunch of questions attached, but I'm freaking desperate to play these games again. I would really appreciate any and all help provided. Thanks for your time and assistance!

slick_j_2002 is offline                         Send a private message to slick_j_2002
Old 15-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

In Vista dosgames belongs in Dosbox. Period.

For recalcitrant Wingames (mostly W95 ones) I would advise VPC2007 with W98SE in it, that's usually the easiest solution. Will also solve your screen res problems.

CD in dosbox:
mount d X:\ -t cdrom

X is your real drive letter in windows.

BTW: If your laptop is already crawling in Vista, forget VPC.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
slick_j_2002

Thanks, raider. I actually just moved the directories into my DOSBox C drive directory and they run fine from there now. Go figure, haha.

The next task is getting SWAT 2 up and running completely. I seem to have most of it working, excluding sound with videos.

Thanks again for the help.
slick_j_2002 is offline                         Send a private message to slick_j_2002