Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #91
Thomas

I made everything just like Picard told, but still it does'nt work. Dosbox always tells me that "install" is an illegal command. Don't know what to do. Please help me or tell me how to make the old flopy-disc-version run. I already tried with vdms and abload but it doesn't work.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #92
Thomas

Got something to add: My floppy-version runs with dosbox, but it's too slow. Increasing the frames or the cpu-cycle doesn't help.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #93
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The slowness thing is caused by your computer not being able to handle the emulation due to an inherent lack of speed on his part. Nothing we can do.

As for your install problem;
Look at the number of drives you have in the "this computer" folder. Is there an extra one from you physical drives? If so open it and check that it is indeed the X-WingCE CD.
If that is true then make sure you are mounting the correct drive in DOSBox.
Last thing I can think of right now is making sure you have the latest version of DOSBox installed (currently 0.63) although I think X-Wing should run in older version as well.

Could you give us the exact error message you recieve when you try to install X-Wing?
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 02-02-2005, 07:12 PM   #94
Thomas

There is an extra one. Tried to install the Game in windows-mode, but when I try to start the game, my pc is "unable to change to xwingcd"(exact command: cd xwingcd)
I've got the latest version of dosbox

Old 04-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #95
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I would not advise you to try to install this game in Windows. I think I got it working in Win95 but after that (Win98, WinME, WinXP) I could never get it to work properly.

In DOSbox could you give me the exact list of commands you give? I have a hunch that the CD is somehow not mounted properly because that would give the error "Bad command or filename".
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 06-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #96
Thomas

Thanks for the help. I just tried another time and now it's working.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:16 AM   #97
Will

I had both XWing and Tie Fighter for DOS and recently picked up both 95 versions. When playing the 95 version recently, I thought perhaps I was older but it didn't seem as cool as when I originally played them. It must have been my imagination that this game had music throughout the entire experience.

But nope, thanks to you, I now realize that I wasn't imagining anything. The DOS version did indeed use Imuse and had interactive music throughout the game! I feel that the interactive music goes a long way to make you feel at home in the star wars universe but maybe its just me since noone seems to mind the utter lack of music in the remakes.

But then again, maybe something is hokey with my setup. In XWing95/Tie95 I'm only getting music in the cutscenes and none at all during the flight scenes (just engine sounds), is anyone else getting this or is my installation screwed? My perfect world would be the high resolution 3d accelerated visuals of the 95 version and the interactive music of the DOS version.

Old 15-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #98
Woddy

When I try to install the game, the program tells me I don´t have enough EMS memory.

How can I fix that because I have 256mb ram-memory.

Thanks

Old 15-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #99
JJXB
Pi-voh

use vdms or dosbox (utilities section of the site)
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 15-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #100
>sKy<

I love this game. The X-Wing Collector's Series was the first game (pack) that I received when we first got our old PII 350 about six or seven years ago, and I still have all three CDs. I like TIE Fighter better, but X-Wing still holds a special place in my heart. The main reason (for me, at least) that TIE Fighter is better is that the HUD is way more detailed, making fighting enemies with shields a lot easier.

I have a question, though. We got our computer and this game on a Christmas day. I loaded up the game (that day) and in the hangar (the screen from which you can choose which scenario to play), there was Santa Clause looking at me and waving. Since that day, I have never, ever seen him again, and yes, I have tried on other Christmas days.

Has anyone ever seen that before, or am I just crazy?
>sKy< is offline                         Send a private message to >sKy<