Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #201
Unregisteredamillion
Default cidatel 1

so top of the first citadel i cant get up the last stairs due to dragon breath, i used the scroll and still stuck? Any help?

Old 16-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #202
RandomGuest100

Default Two/Thirds Through Champions of Krynn

So, I've been playing Champions of Krynn for a week or two and I'm about 2/3 of the way through I think.
Party:
Code:
Name      Race           Level Class
Chiboda   Silvanesti Elf 7     Cleric of Paladine
Kerga     Mountain Dwarf 7     Fighter
Barthames Human          6     Knight of the Rose
Koolios   Half-Elf       6/6   Cleric of Majere / White Robe Mage
Tillo     Qualinesti Elf 7     Red Mage
JoJo      Kender         9     Thief
Stats were generated by rerolling until "good" (i.e. primary stats for classes and constitution), not modified (5 or 6 rerolls is about all it seems to take). Character hp are taken at level up and not reloaded for maximum.

Started play on default of Veteran and soon discovered the game was waaaaaay too easy so bumped it to Champion : D

The party wiped on White Dragons first time, so I took a break, thought it out, reloaded and kicked White Dragon butt.
The party wiped on Green Dragons first time too. After a break to strategize, I reloaded and kicked Green Dragon butt.

Listed levels were attained after Neraka was completed. I try to explore completely, but I'm not deliberately grinding xp. Random encounters are plentiful. No love for more of the same.

Reflections:
Single class Mage is sweet! Multiclass Mage lags behind in getting highest level of spells. Difference is noticeable.
Multiclass Cleric/Mage is awesome! Cleric or mage single class by itself isn't as versatile. I always know the multiclass character will have something useful to do.

Cleric of Majere: +2 Turning Level rocks! Noticeable difference. Two clerics helps much with undead encounters.
Cleric of Paladine: meh. Protection from Evil [10' Radius] is not particularly noticeable. If I did it over again, I would choose Mishakal instead (three bonus spell! +1 die on all healing spells!).

I've read the multi-class debate. Up until now in the game, it has been a non-issue. Individually taken, single class is better because of access to higher level capabilities. Even if a character is multi-classed, he can still only take one action each time it is his turn. One or two multi-classes should be taken to increase the odds that a character with the right kind of ability to the current encounter wins initiative… but that's what balancing your party is all about. My Kender Rogue only just attained max level… so this may be a turning point for the multi-classed characters to start catching up to their single class comrades. Poor JoJo: CoK's xp table ends.

I've read the Knight of Crown/Sword/Rose debate. I've chosen to go as soon as possible into the more advanced orders of Sword and Rose rather than stay Crown because:
A: I already have a single class Dwarf Fighter…
B: Neapolitan is more interesting than Vanilla
No, seriously, look at Barthames. Barthames currently has 128946 xp.
That means that as a Knight of the Crown he would be… level 6.
Think about that: in CoK, Barthames could be a level 6 Knight of the Crown or he could be a level 6 Knight of the Rose… obviously, it is better to be a Knight of the Rose.

I do wonder how much my end game will suffer because of the level caps in Champions of Krynn… end game here I come!

Last edited by RandomGuest100; 16-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.
RandomGuest100 is offline                         Send a private message to RandomGuest100
Old 16-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #203
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Champions of Krynn is only the first game of a serie of 3. Once you finish this game there is Death Knights of Krynn to continue on and you will be able to level further. It is all about how high you want your multi-class char to be before you finish the ending though if I remember well (it been a very long time) you will also hit a level cap for multi classes by end of game too. The thing is that you need way more exp to level up a multi-class char so it is interesting to grab free xp to catch up with the others.

This is D&D 2nd edition but even then single class were stronger than multi-class char. There is still wisdom in taking one or two multi-class chars though. The thing is, multi-class levels in 2nd edition (again, if I remember correctly) were added up in succession (because xp is given to each class half and half) while in 3rd edition the player has the choice to level up a class further up by neglecting the other class. I guess you will see the biggest difference in the other two games, especially in Dark Queen of Krynn, when your single classe casters will have access to higher level spells since a while while the multi-class really pain to catch up. Basically, they trade efficiency and quantity for quality.

About the protection from Evil, one or two AC benefit might not be noticable now (even though it is not true per se) but that's not all what this spell does. Again I'm not sure at all for 2nd, but in 3rd it also prevent summoned monsters from being able to attack the affected PC as well as preventing any kind of mental coercition from evil aligned enemies. You don't see the difference here but in time protection from [evil/neutral/good] is considered to be one of the best spell at high level by many players.

-EoF
Old 19-09-2012, 04:50 AM   #204
Cynical Felidae

Default Modifying character icons

This really can pertain to any of the gold box games, as I believe they use the same engine, as it were, with little change.

Is it possible to modify your party's action / character/ what have you/ Icons? I notice when you play the demo it uses character models you don't seem to have access to. It'd be nice to have access to some of those models, or even some of the enemy npc's, perhaps with a color change.

I do believe I've run myself ragged scouring the net for some information one way or the other, and frankly I'm rather surprised that there isn't even one mention of someone modding that option in somehow.
Cynical Felidae is offline                         Send a private message to Cynical Felidae
Old 19-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #205
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

When you'll play the other games you'll have an option to change your icons.

Actually, can't you already do that in the options? I specifically remember changing the icon of one of my char once because he stopped using a flail and used a sword instead.
Old 20-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #206
Cynical Felidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post

Actually, can't you already do that in the options? I specifically remember changing the icon of one of my char once because he stopped using a flail and used a sword instead.
Oh yes, you can change their color, weapon, head and what not, but only out of a few selections. I was wondering about perhaps getting a icon like those of the npc's. The evil fighters look very nice, compared to your party, and npc kender look like kender, the pc one however does not. I was more wondering if there was a way to take the npc's icon and use it for a pc, changing the color perhaps, but not looking as vanilla as the current pc icon choices allow.

Just something I recall wanting back when I played these games the first time, and now, again , upon picking them up again.
Cynical Felidae is offline                         Send a private message to Cynical Felidae
Old 21-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #207
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Sorry, I am afraid I can't help you. I'm not sure it is actually possible. Not to mention the fact that it must be 8 years or so since the last time I played this game... :/
Old 17-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #208
halsbells2012

Default Can't resolve "unexpected error during save 3hal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Ok, let's start over shall we?
I've retested the game to be 100% sure of what I gonna say here ....

First of all: delete ALL your old game folders, something is completely wrong anyway.
Keep your c:\users\your name\oldgames\

Reunzip the original downloaded archive, in that archive there is one folder named COK, you must end with:
c:\users\your name\oldgames\cok\

Be sure to use a good unzipper, that can handle the directory structure in the archive, not the Vista one, that's too basic.
7zip does a nice job:
http://www.7-zip.org/
Something as:

Run dosbox, mount c:\users\your name\oldgames\ as C: in dosbox, do a
cd cok
start

That's it, all works flawless, game save and all, no need to edit the cfg file or whatever.

The game, after creating/adding/saving and a restart:

'Covenant' player loaded:

Folder structure with saved games:

No problems whatsoever, so : start over from scratch friend.
Can someone help me here? I have read all the posts regarding how to resolve the "unexpected error during save 3hal" error and tried all that had been mentioned. I'm running it in DosBox 0.74 with the help of DOSShell v1.9 and I have Windows 7. The game files reside in C:\cok and I modified KRYNN.cfg to C:\cok\SAVE. The problem I think is that I can't get rid of the read-only attributes for this cok folder as well as the SAVE folder. I de-select it and click apply and ok and when I return to these properties, the read-only attribute is applied again. I tried doing what was stated on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549 by typing attrib -r +s c:\cok and
attrib -r +s c:\cok\SAVE as well as attrib -r c:\cok but neither seems to have helped me here as the read-only attribute is still selected and the game still gives same error message. So if anyone passed this point and made the game function (running it similar to my environment), can you tell me how you did it? Thanks.
halsbells2012 is offline                         Send a private message to halsbells2012
Old 17-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #209
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Be sure to use a good unzipper, that can handle the directory structure in the archive, not the Vista one, that's too basic.
This is the best piece of advice for you ATM. The main problem of read-only or archived flagged files when you unzip usually happen when using a bad quality unarchiver. High quality unarchiver usually allow you to decide how to flag those files you are unpacking.

Some archivers somehow unpack everything as read-only or flagged as archive for some reason. I personally never encountered that problem so I always wondered how this was achieved...
Old 17-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #210
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsbells2012 View Post
Can someone help me here? I have read all the posts regarding how to resolve the "unexpected error during save 3hal" error and tried all that had been mentioned. I'm running it in DosBox 0.74 with the help of DOSShell v1.9 and I have Windows 7. The game files reside in C:\cok and I modified KRYNN.cfg to C:\cok\SAVE. The problem I think is that I can't get rid of the read-only attributes for this cok folder as well as the SAVE folder. I de-select it and click apply and ok and when I return to these properties, the read-only attribute is applied again. I tried doing what was stated on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549 by typing attrib -r +s c:\cok and
attrib -r +s c:\cok\SAVE as well as attrib -r c:\cok but neither seems to have helped me here as the read-only attribute is still selected and the game still gives same error message. So if anyone passed this point and made the game function (running it similar to my environment), can you tell me how you did it? Thanks.
Windows 7. Your C:\ root is write protected due to security reasons. Move CoK to a different folder, deeper into the directory structure. You should be able to remove the flag there. Could try the Users\<your username>\My Games for instance. Or just create a games directory and put it in there. Should work. Also, you might want to disable UAC for the operation, might be that you're not an administrator account and it doesn't let you keep the changes.