Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forum Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #161
Arteveld

Can't wait to see which games i'll get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-satan View Post
I want the rain to come, that is why I did it. It's too hot in last couple of days
How about a big bad flood? Your city didn't get one yet? I could spawn one just for You, got some mana left.
Arteveld is offline                         Send a private message to Arteveld
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #162
Poker Crow
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr0x View Post
I understand your frustration, but then again, its a competition and only one can win. Rest assured though that us others put in a lot of effort too. Well, at least I did, Arteveld claimed he basically breezed through the questions. I hope you'll get over your frustration and will be able to enjoy the three excellent games you're getting for free.
Yeah, I'm happy I got a prize and there's some good games to choose from, however Monkey Island has a special place in my heart. I'm sure many people put a lot of time and effort as well. Personally I browsed though the screenshots of every DOS game listed at Mobygames and Abandonia, read tons of descriptions and did some serious googling. I almost felt like a detective... did anybody else notice that checking Red Avatar's profile gave away a several answers? (every one of his favorite games was featured somewhere in the quiz, hehe). Sadly I had to submit my answers 4 days early because of me leaving town, I'm sure that with those extra days things would have been different. Anyway, congrats Hydr0x you sure deserved to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr0x View Post
The Primal Rage fault wouldn't have helped ya anyways. I answered Primal Rage too, so I'd still would have had one more than you if he accepted it. You didn't get 2 screenshots, just like me. And you didn't get Paperboy just like me. So basically it was your Red Baron blunder that cost you a tie (not sure about the better tie-breaker though, the average was 68,4 and I guessed 71). I didn't get that one first either, was one of the last 10 questions I got, it actually occurred to me while sleeping
I would have lost to you in a tie breaker (I guessed 50) but here's how I could have won: wild guessing Zak McKracken in the screenshot (something I actually considered) instead of leaving it blank, and opting for Time Commando instead of Primal Rage (another answer I had considered). My real mistake here was waiting too long to ask for clarification regarding the key hint of time travel. Red Avatar wisely denied it to me cause the extra clarification would have been unfair to people who already submitted the answers. Perhaps if I had asked that as soon as I thought about it he'd have granted me an answer. Oh, and with a little more time in my hands I'm sure I would have got the Red Baron answer. That'd have put me two points ahead of you. Oh well, why do I like to beat a dead horse? I better get back to write down my game list. It's almost done!
Poker Crow is offline                         Send a private message to Poker Crow
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #163
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker Crow View Post
...Personally I browsed though the screenshots of every DOS game listed at Mobygames and Abandonia, read tons of descriptions and did some serious googling...
Mobygames: 4,682 DOS games with 42,888 screenshots
You did lots of work there. I spent only a few hours trying to find the answers I didn't already know. Guessed the rest and scored 81.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #164
red_avatar
Administrator

Every contest like this will require effort if you really want to win - a good basis helps a lot but good Googling skills just as much

Anyway, I got the 10 games from Poker Crow so this afternoon I'll see who gets what and post it here . Hydr0x will get his first prize as well - there's been plenty of time for people to complain so they had their chance to do so.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #165
hydr0x
Lurker

btw, I browsed all Abandonia screenshots too in a desperate last minute move and actually got two answers out of that

About Primal Rage. See, the thing is, I was confident this was correct and if he had clarified this in public like you wanted him too I'd have known it isn't correct and investigated further. So you can't say this would have mattered. Not putting in ANY answer for the Zak screenshot despite having a feeling is, well, stupid

Actually, two hours after I submitted my answers I was looking at a game I just got (S.T.O.R.M.) and the ad within actually showed a screenshot of Time Commando, clearly showing you with an ape. So with a bit more luck I'd have gotten that one And the one screenshot mistake I made, a friend of mine told me later that he'd had known it and I was stupid for not even asking him about those So yeah, basically we all made mistakes that cost us more right answers Oh, on a sidenote, I'm a big MI fan too, it was actually my first adventure ever.
hydr0x is offline                         Send a private message to hydr0x
Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #166
Poker Crow
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
You did lots of work there. I spent only a few hours trying to find the answers I didn't already know. Guessed the rest and scored 81.
Yeah, that was really tedious but it's not like I clicked on every one of those 42,888 screenshots. I just gave a quick glance at the thumbnails page of each game, otherwise I wouldn't have missed the Master Lu screenshot. But it was well worth it, I got seven of the screenshots I didn't recognize plus leads to several answers by doing this.
Poker Crow is offline                         Send a private message to Poker Crow
Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #167
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
That's why he get the second place and you the nineteenth
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #168
Zalamel
Lurker

Aw poo...I was nearly at the bottom :laugh:

Well, at least I wasn't Last
Zalamel is offline                         Send a private message to Zalamel
Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #169
red_avatar
Administrator

And the prizes are as follows:

Arteveld:

Diablo, Incubation, STALKER

Poker Crow:

Vampire Bloodlines, Civilization III, Neverwinter Nights

LionXavier:

Little Big Adventure, Warcraft 1, Realms of the Haunting

Roxor:

Witcher, Boiling Point, FEAR

Now, from all the games that are left, the two random winners Klatuu and RRS and of course zirkoni can each pick a game!

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #170
Arteveld

Yay!
Thanks, red_avatar!
Should i PM You my home address now, or what?
Arteveld is offline                         Send a private message to Arteveld