Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
agenthunk
Forum hobbit

Exclamation Panzer General dosbox 0.74 issues (I need help asap)

hi im new here.I wanted to say im looking for help with getting the recording to not slow down game when i play.I have 0.74 version it runs great when it doesnt record.I have a hp laptop E1-2100 apu 1.00 ghz ,4.00gb ram,windows 8.1 64bit procesor.

now it is not a question of it not running on my pc due to specs being to low.it has to do with the options.bat file and how to get it to run smooth and at good speed without slowdowns during gameplay recordings.I have seen it speed up after i stop record and go fast.now I think it has to do with my zmbv codec,i read on many forums you go to start and file then update to dosbox file folder.I have a different setup and would like to find out if i need to get that codec or change the options.bat file settings.or both.

I described what the issue is and hope you could kinda know what might be amiss.I could post the options.bat file here for you to see and you can tell me what to adjust.

also,I saw the old system requirements for pc version of pg and my oc should run it great and dosbox works well.the poland campaign through north africa i used frameskipping at 1-2 or 5 or 10 at times to record my gameplay.sometimes the file will comeout as 2.00gb and no bitrate info listed in avi file properties.sometimes it will record correctly.sometimes not.

I use media player,vlc media player and movie maker and it wont read the file.I have the windows media player classic and the file i mentioned above will play on it,but the last 30 or so minutes of game plays first the it cuts,and shows the beginning breifing then it plays till it cutsoff where the ending should be!

maybe you guys might know what is wrong here.please tell me how to adjust this.
and one more thing.For the option of going to start menu and zmbv codec update on older os,how and the hell do you do it with windows 8.1?
I got my pg dos version game from a website that had pg version variants for different platforms and selected dos.this is the link-http://www.panzergeneraldownload.com/

I think I did everything right with dosbox and the game,I had decent gameplay early on at 1939 start date till low countries then had recording issues with what i mentioned above.this is all the info I witnessed and experienced,so i hope some of you more educated tech wiz would know what needs to be fixed.I'll wait for a reply.thanks

ps: I have 7 videos I recorded with success on my youtube channel to prove it works on my pc.
here is my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqB...y6c6jZKTlo3SlQ

here is the options.bat file.

options.bat file

Last edited by agenthunk; 24-09-2014 at 08:03 AM.
agenthunk is offline                         Send a private message to agenthunk
Old 24-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

There needn't be anything wrong, capturing video does always take a lot of power out of DOSBox. Even taking a screenshot makes it stutter. DOSBox uses always the ZMBV codec, you have no other option; it must be installed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to capture video at all.

But one thing you can try is a different value for [sdl]output, and hope it makes some difference.

Otherwise you may want to try capturing video while fullscreen with another 3rd party program or utility from your graphic card manufacturer, which could be more efficient than DOSBox regarding direct hardware acceleration.

Last edited by Japo; 24-09-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 25-09-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
agenthunk
Forum hobbit

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
There needn't be anything wrong, capturing video does always take a lot of power out of DOSBox. Even taking a screenshot makes it stutter. DOSBox uses always the ZMBV codec, you have no other option; it must be installed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to capture video at all.

But one thing you can try is a different value for [sdl]output, and hope it makes some difference.

Otherwise you may want to try capturing video while fullscreen with another 3rd party program or utility from your graphic card manufacturer, which could be more efficient than DOSBox regarding direct hardware acceleration.
hello

I went to the video codec file after i went to windows 8.1 start menu and install there with no success.it kept saying -

(copy error -setup cannot copy the zmbv.inf file -ensure that the location specified below is correct,or change it and insert ;zip motion block vdeo codec in the drive you specify')

.anyway I went instead to the dosbox file folder in c:drive then video codec file then zmbv.inf and left click ,then install and i think it worked.i checked program uninstall and features and it is at the bottom saying 'zip motion block video codec (remove only).so i figured it out after researching how to do it.

frankly i did'nt know any other way to figure out what to specify in that error copy dialogue box so i went to the file location and did it oldschool way.

And thanks for the tip on the power usage and the third party video copy software.that helps to know

Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw.

which one might work best for my machine?

Last edited by agenthunk; 25-09-2014 at 04:15 AM.
agenthunk is offline                         Send a private message to agenthunk
Old 25-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

Just try all the values and compare the results. But I don't guarantee that any will be satisfactory for you.

If the codec installation fails, try right-clicking and choosing "run as administrator"

But as I said, if you're able to capture video (no matter how slow), it should mean that the codec is installed successfully.
Old 26-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #5
agenthunk
Forum hobbit

Exclamation

Quote:
Just try all the values and compare the results. But I don't guarantee that any will be satisfactory for you.

If the codec installation fails, try right-clicking and choosing "run as administrator"

But as I said, if you're able to capture video (no matter how slow), it should mean that the codec is installed successfully.

It is installed correctly.I have been playing the caucusus campaign now over and over with retry's because the video file is coming out 2.00gb with no info that it recorded.I was using frameskip at 2 since it worked for me before,however it isnt working if its on 1,2,or any of them (I think).I have been experiencing slowdowns and had to reset my options.bat file to default.now I dont know what to change in my option.bat file with my pc's specs to match up good performance.

I dont know how to use the options.bat file or what to change.becuase my computer is 20 years apart from the pentium 1 pc in 94 and the game.

So,I would think it should run this emulator well.

I dont understand why it is slowing down half the times when it is at zero frameskipping.and max cycles 100%.

it keeps showing slow frames and i can literally watch the frame switch from top to bottom.it is that slow.

now when it it not at zero frameskipping and it is 2 or higher it runs fast and great while recording...but I get a corrupt file most of the time at 2.00gb with no time how long it recorded or any info in the files avi property ,no bit rate,no frame rate,etc....I got lucky running frameskip at 2 before and got the game recording from poland to middle east.

I cant remember how many times i have played the caucusus trying different approaches to get a decent recording(I think i played it 20 times now.),i had luck before getting it with the other campaigns,but why not this time,why over and over with failure to record.
just so you know i am playing and recording the game from start to finish with no break!thats how i got campaigns with over 2 hours of footage.but caucusus is becoming a problem.it blows my mind it is not working.

I need help with setting up my options.bat file and get it running better.or i might make a mistake.
Old 26-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
agenthunk
Forum hobbit

Quote:

I have seen it work anywhere from 22 mins to 1:37 mins.with the caucusus campaign,but when i do turn 30 to turn 15 in 3:45 mins it comes out 2.00gb instead.
I have also seen it record if i stop in any of the 7 earlier campaigns poland to middle east.however,I am not sure if frameskipping affects the ability to record or not.I have played a few campaigns with frameskipping at 2 and got succesful recordings,lately not much success.I dont know what the prefered seetings would be with my pc hardware.It could help if someone had the same specs if not similar to try a different appraoch with recordings.I am hoping other dos gamers might have a hp laptop with the e1-2100 apu and found settings that work with this game specifically and this machine.I look forward in any help from other fellow abandonia members.

Last edited by agenthunk; 27-09-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 29-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
agenthunk
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thank you japo.It works.I recorded 4 parts of a 4 hour and 18 minute campaign of the caucasus.had to use movie maker though.
Old 29-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

No problem. DOSBox is not optimized for this.

I think even when capturing video, it still does it in the same CPU thread. Which in layman terms it means even less acceleration.
Old 18-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #9
agenthunk
Forum hobbit

Post panzer general files

Quote:
No problem. DOSBox is not optimized for this.

I think even when capturing video, it still does it in the same CPU thread. Which in layman terms it means even less acceleration.
I have two files of panzer general one being from the panzergeneraldownload website 15.6 mb it works that is the one i been playing and talking to you about the codec.no issues there,except there is no voice sound for the briefing.
The other one is from this site and it is 15.1 mb and I changed the file name to pg2. they have both the same pg.bat file now when i mount the first one it works.however when i mount the pg2 one from abandonia it doesnt accept the pg.bat file.is the two files conflicting?and do i need only one of these files to work?

next question I dont know if you tried out the www.panzergeneraldownload.com site but it was ok for me thus far.it plays ,but without the voice in briefings.I selected the dos version they had.
now is there any chance both of these files are the same type of game engine and platform?what do I do about the briefing voice sound issue?and should i keep the same one from their site since i have all my files on it?And does the 2nd file from your site have the same briefing voice issue?I don't want to delete the other one I been using to find out.
Old 18-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

It's possible that the speech files were ripped off so that the size didn't become too big, specially if the rest of sound effects are working, so it wouldn't be a configuration issue. 15 MB doesn't sound like it would have space for speech briefings for every mission.