Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #511
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
The pre-payed, bargain-price option is unfortunately restricted to Steam.
Why should I pay, considering inflation, 500$ for something others pay 140$?
Why is Steam so racist of a site?
Um, but you can also buy it on Steam, no? There are a games, available on Origin or Ubistore only. There are games, restricted to one console only (they usually even boasts them as "exclusives"). There are games, available on Epic, and Epic only (they even _pay_ for this exclusivity, and don't think that they do something bad). What's wrong with Steam then? Why it is "racist", when others are not?

(Also, I believe, it's hardly _Steam_ decision after all. I think, it's better to direct your anger on the game authors - and maybe they will respond, who knows).
Old 07-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #512
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Um, but you can also buy it on Steam, no? There are a games, available on Origin or Ubistore only. There are games, restricted to one console only (they usually even boasts them as "exclusives"). There are games, available on Epic, and Epic only (they even _pay_ for this exclusivity, and don't think that they do something bad). What's wrong with Steam then? Why it is "racist", when others are not?

(Also, I believe, it's hardly _Steam_ decision after all. I think, it's better to direct your anger on the game authors - and maybe they will respond, who knows).
Well, in order:

#1 it is not exclusive. That's the issue. If the thing would be exclusive to Steam, I'd be fine with it. It isn't. Book of Demons and Whatever Else Coming is on 4-5 service provider.
I could even accept SOME price-differences (because of contractual reasons), but not this lot.

#2 the problem with Steam is many. Aside they being "need internet connection to play", their customer-side program is obnoxious, and consumes a ton of resources of your computer. But the main problem is, they seems to pay to ruin other servicers.

One major problem is, they achieved they get everything sooner. Usualy a week, but many times even a month earlier, sometimes HALF A YEAR sooner. AND there's no spoiler restriction there ASIDE like a week when the program first appear on their site. So they recognise spoiler, but don't respect the players (of other sites).

Second, Steam many times get exclusive PARTS of programs. Yes, I mean full DLCs, or their old names: expansions. Yes, even free ones. Why can't every customer get access to these contents? This is again NOT exclusivity, because the core program is available elsewhere. And these things are not cosmetic, to even suggest to provide servicer-unique alternative.

Third, this price-gap I've mentioned. It can NOT be the developer's idea, at least by what they let us know. If someone wants crowdfunding, their goal is, to get it from the widest possible range. Only a fool would restrict themselves to a single servicer, UNLESS the site gives them a hugh amount of money to do so.
That's just common sense.

So, all the little things added up, and now I'm seriously fed up with Steam. Especialy people mindlessly telling me "why not buy it on Steam TOO". Just fuck you, people.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #513
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Huh. Thank you then.
Old 16-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #514
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Monster Train

Well, finaly something I like.

This is a computer card game, similar to the "original" MAgic the Gathering/Tragic the Gardening.
I never had the chance before dwelving into collecctible cardgames, so I welcomed this one.

This also places your units in an environment (a magical train which makes its own trail), and not just cards on a paste, so doubly good.

What it lacks, is building your deck, because every time you start with the starter deck (of a faction, which has two champion, aka. two starter deck), but oh well. During game you collect crads and things randomised. So consider this, and prepare to loose a lot in this "roguelike", but I'm fine, the replayability is way higher for me this way. There's no ultimate deck and ultimate strategy to WIN the game once and for all.

It is also fást-paced, a full go takes 1-3 hours (depending on your care, thinking effort, experience). Compare this to Darkest Dungeon where a single fight takes this long!

It also a ton of unlocks/achievements to inspire you to move out of your comfort zone, and do more stuff.

And it loooks fine.

Could use a bit more story and lore, but I'm even fine with its satanist state, because it is smooth, nice, bug-free, and enjoyable.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #515
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Baldur's Gate EE (1-2-ToB, TBP 1-2?)

Well, there's nothing enhanced on the Enhanced Edition, I assure you.

This time my character is a shapeshiter, and it is a good character for low level. We'll see how it Works higher.

Oh, The Black Pit 1 is suprisingly survicable, too bad it has anything to do with Beamdog.
Old 17-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #516
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Looking through my GOG-library

Quit a library I hoarded, many obviously giveaways, and most if not all the rest came from bundles. I don't think I ever spent more than 20-25$ a game, and by average only 10$.

Let's invoke some numbers.

- In the library I have 4 extras-package.
- I have 58 games I have no intention to ever pull out. In very rare cases again (Deponia, Toonstruck, Alone in the Dark 4, Heretic Kingdoms: Inquisiton, Darkest Dungeon for example), in most cases ever (there are some heavy hitters here too, like The Witcher 1-2 for example).
- there are 19 games that would be nice to switch on just to look if I like them, but they are realy not a priority, despite some titles I payed good money for (eg. parts of the Divinity series, or Tides of Numenera).
- there are 9 games with the tag "interrested, definitely launch some time in the future". These have a wide range from Worms 2 to Underrail to The House in Fata Morgana, or Castlevania 1.
- and there are 7 games I'll definitely, without doubt play with in the future. Either because they look very attractive, or because I want the worth of my money. These are:
a) Pillars of Eternity
b) Batman, the enemy within
c) Delores: a thimbleweed park mini-adventure (I think this was a giveaway)
d) Monster Train (this is just good)
e) Children of Morta (for this I bought Divinity 2, and the other reason for the buy was the charity-purpose DLC, so as I've spent an amount I felt, I'm definitely playing it)
f) Silent Hill 4: The Room (this was the only part of the series I got interrested in, and its pitch was so good I still remember it)
g) Star Trek 25th anniversary edition: it might turn out trash, but c'mon, maybe it's good. Worst case scennario, I'll watch a Let's play.
h) Werewolf: The Apocalyps: Heart of the Forest. I've played Vampire the Masquarade P&P, and I'm into gamebooks. The look is great. I'm definitely interrested, and will look it up. I just have sooo many things to do... It's great to have a job though. I prefer the first world problem of too many games than no money to pay my rent.

And I have an extra category: games that I put aside to pull out any time when I'm into a specific genre.
- Bio Menace is a retro-style quick platformer.
- Flight of the Amazon Queen is an old, but solvable point&click adventure game. Sure, I have
- the Monkey Island series (even 4-5) on my list, but they are more for the laugh than for the őuzzles.
- Stargunner is I think never played, but it is a left-to-right going shooter.
- Anger Force Reloaded is a bottom-to-top shooter.
- DEX is some mushy game by genre, so I never got into it, but it's a nice game, so who knows.
- Postal 1 is a top-down shooter of extreme violence for its 8-bit glory.
- Book of Demons is a Diablo-clone. I wish it were more complete with the other games fused into it... C'mon developers, have mercy on GoG!

- Baldur's gate (1-2-ToB) is an all time standing
- War Wind is very unlikely, but if I'll ever feel the need of a Warcraft 1-2-clone...
- Blasphemous is a Blackthorne clone. I didn't get too far in it, then the expansion came out, and I had all kind of emotional issues related to this... Still, it's not a forgettable game, and Blathorne is definitely a stlye I like time to time.

<div>- Broken Sword 1-2 are classics, so I'll not burry them, no matter how unlikely to pull them out again.<span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial;font-style:normal;" data-sheets-value="{&quot;1&quot;:2,&quot;2&quot;:&quot;The House in Fata Morgana&quot;}" data-sheets-userformat="{&quot;2&quot;:513,&quot;3&quot;:{&quo t;1&quot;:0},&quot;12&quot;:0}">
Old 22-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #517
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default The Wandering Village

This game is barely in developement yet, but the concept of it struck me, it is so perfect of a metaphor for the Earth, enviroment, humanity, and all that.

It is a sim-city-like game (ok, will be), with the usual stuff (explore, research, advance), but the gimmick is, your city is on the back of a giant animal, so you can't just build whatever you want, you must co-exist with your "planet".
Which moves, so you don't have to release disasters manualy, heh, it wonders into them.

It comes primaly on PC, and though it focuses on Steam in its campaign, it doesn't seem Steam-exclusive, so if you find the idea as good as me, check out Kickstarter.

Here is the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UZz7S75Xbs
Old 25-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #518
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Bastion

This looks superficialy as some casual flashgame.
But it is actualy a very good kill-em-all.
The pacing, the structure of levels, the optional goals (achievements, extra difficulty options) is excellent.

While the majority of such games drown in uniformity of weapons (aside the flashing and colour they are indistinguishable), uniformity of strategy (stand and shoot, slowly back away while shooting, shooot from out of range), or uniformity of waves (more, bigger enemies), this one always has something in its sleeves.

It even has some sandbox-feature, as while the core part of the game is do-it-once (with Game+ mode fortunately), there is at least one optional area for grinding both EXP and $$$, so it falls on you what you find suitable.
Heck, there's even the option to not pick up the equipment. I find that very curious, as unpicked items do not show up at your HQ, the areas are not re-playable, but you neither get achievement for it.
Should ask the developers maybe.
Old 26-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #519
Capo
Unconventional member

Really doubt they will answer to you about a game 9 years old

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 13-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #520
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Really doubt they will answer to you about a game 9 years old

Hey, Hope only dies in season 3 out of 6!