Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon
Smile Cell Phone Game I Made - Cave Runner

So I have been practicing Programming/Java ME and developing a game for cell phones (May have heard me talk about it in the Programming forum). Its been an "on and off" project for about a year now. I am contemplating if I should contact a distributer and see if I could actually sell the game.

It's called Cave Runner, you are a gem hunter in search of... well... gems! Dig through the blocks while avoiding the indestructible ones. Careful though, because the level is always moving down, and if you get pushed too far, the spikes will kill you. Collect gems to increase your score. The level moves faster as you near completion, and more indestructible blocks appear as you progress.

I know there are a few bugs that I have yet to fix; the character can get stuck and dig at nothing, sometimes items do not pick up, and the game can crash if you try to return to the main menu (I think this is due to my phone not having enough RAM cause it doesn't happen on my friend's).

I want to know what people think of this game before I try doing something big with it. Also I want to know how the screen size is scaling with other phones, and how it runs.

Anyway try it out and tell me what you think of this little game!

SCREEN SHOTS (Running in an Emulator)
Title Screen

In-Game

Ouch... Dieing

Download Here for Sony/Nokia Phones! Plus most phones since they use the proper standard.

Download Here for Motorola Phones! (They use different key codes for their shoulder buttons, one of the annoying thing's about developing for cell phones.)

(NOTE: Levels are capped at level 3. Game may act strangely or crash because it isn't a finished copy!)
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 04-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

mmm will check =)
Old 05-08-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That guy is hilarious.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

He looks almost like a mad killer with a chainsaw, judging by his spiteful grin
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 05-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
He looks almost like a mad killer with a chainsaw, judging by his spiteful grin
:laugh: that made me laugh. Originally when I was jotting down ideas, the player used a "Disintegration Gun" to cut through the blocks. The first sprites looked silly because I didn't have enough room to fit both character and gun in 16*16 sprite, so I removed it from the final sprite.
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

ok, my phone is w710i

the text is too big, for example on the main screen i can see the image like you showed us but the text is so big that you can only see RESS ANY BUTTON TO C, but maybe my resolution was too small (176x220). this also occurs with text when you finish the level, want to leave to menu, etc. btw it freezed when i wanted to go to menu like on your phone as well. what i really disliked is that you can't turn off the music. sometimes happened that i couldn't pick up some ithems, like you wrote too. and i think that the difficulty very unbalanced, making the game really boring on beginning. and levels are pretty much the same, except for the color of the bricks. maybe you could add some more stuff to make it more interesting than digging up there and collecting items, like i dunno, monsters or such?

and btw, it ended on level 4 and not 3 o_O

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 05-08-2008 at 08:10 PM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
ok, my phone is w710i

the text is too big, for example on the main screen i can see the image like you showed us but the text is so big that you can only see RESS ANY BUTTON TO C, but maybe my resolution was too small (176x220). this also occurs with text when you finish the level, want to leave to menu, etc. btw it freezed when i wanted to go to menu like on your phone as well. what i really disliked is that you can't turn off the music. sometimes happened that i couldn't pick up some ithems, like you wrote too. and i think that the difficulty very unbalanced, making the game really boring on beginning. and levels are pretty much the same, except for the color of the bricks. maybe you could add some more stuff to make it more interesting than digging up there and collecting items, like i dunno, monsters or such?

and btw, it ended on level 4 and not 3 o_O
Ok thanks for the info !

1. The reason for the text being so big is because I am using your phones "system font". This is the problem with cell phones, there is no standard. On some phones it may fit, on others it won't. I am thinking about converting all the system font stuff into bitmapped font and scale it to the screen at startup.

2. I see, so it wasn't just my phone. Well I got to figure out what is causing the crash.

3. Will probably do what most games do, ask if you would like sounds on at startup.

4. What do you mean by difficulty unbalanced? I understand the beginning is slow, so I will increase the starting speed of the level.

5. Technically the number of indestructible blocks "SHOULD" increase. I'll think of something to add to spice up the levels.

6. lol error on my part since the first level is level 0, and I set the cap at 3, so 4 levels in total: 0, 1, 2, 3.

Questions though: Was the game field displaying as it should? Was it a rectangle, and was width/height ratio the same as the one in the screen shot? I have noticed on some phones the game field get squished to like 5 blocks vertically. Also, was the score and lives labels overlapping the game field?

Last edited by Ioncannon; 06-08-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

here are photos of the scaling (and character cannot go beyond the screen)

btw by unbalanced i mean it was too easy at the beginning but later on when it got better it was too random, i mean if it's gonna be a game for score, it will really depend where will the bonuses spawn. and wouldn't differ much=/

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 06-08-2008 at 12:18 PM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Is the guy holding an Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device?

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang