Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #21
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Hopefully not.

Forum support should count. You weren't the only person who ever got the VIP status based on the help they offered around the forum. The problem is, that can not be automatically, so I don't know how it could be implemented. It's "easy" enough to make a script that will check the name of the reviewer or translator and give some credit that person's way, but it's impossible for a non-human to read the post and judge if it is helpful or not and give credit for a post helpfulness. Still it shouldn't be overlooked.

Not that I'm saying you (or anybody else) should automatically be a VIP, but being helpful on the forums should count (after all forum is the community and Abandonia is community based).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 11-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #22
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There is a reputation system on the vbulletin forums (not currently enabled here, but there is).
Perhaps it could be linked to the PoE system somehow?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #23
Japo
Autonomous human

Even if the VIP system is automatized, it might be a good thing retaining some manual control over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebatianos View Post
It's "easy" enough to make a script that will check the name of the reviewer or translator and give some credit that person's way
That's what I've always though that went wrong with my already published review, screenshots and translation. In the old version it said "... by Javier" (my real name) instead of Japofran. But I'll definitely wait until the dust settles down to claim that. I also submitted another review+screenshots shortly before the change, Reup told me that it would probably be just a week before it got published because they were short on reviews... go figure.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #24
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well I'm a few dozen reviews short too (passed the 200 mark quite some time ago, but it was in the dissident era... so the signature doesn't exactly match). That will be taken care off, just don't know when.

And about new reviews... it's the problems with the new updating system. There were some unexpected things that caused problems, because until you actually do an update, you can't know everything that could go wrong. That's why there's a slight halt on the addition of the new games (the Amazon was an updating test). So can't really tell you about the week's prediction Reup made (the week may stretch).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #25
Sal
Game Wizzard

Default Pieces of eight

Weeeell .....I have been coming to the Abandonia site now for a couple of years and I thought it was a place for Dos game enthusiasts to share games and knowledge and help those who had just discovered the fun of the Dos game scene....BUT it seems to be a fiercely competitive place :eek:
Getting as much credit as one can(pieces of eight) and rising up the corporate ladder to VIP or other exalted rank.:cool: Lets not go there..SAL
Sal is offline                         Send a private message to Sal
Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #26
dosraider
Dismembered.

This happens on every forum, Sal,always, it's a normal evolution.
But it only happens for those who want to jump on that specific 'Me Wants More Points Than You' merry-go-round.

And think about it, gamers are a competive kind.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #27
Sal
Game Wizzard

Thumbs up Pieces of eight

Hmmmm......good point Dos raider..SAL
Sal is offline                         Send a private message to Sal
Old 12-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #28
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebatianos View Post
Well I'm a few dozen reviews short too (passed the 200 mark quite some time ago, but it was in the dissident era... so the signature doesn't exactly match). That will be taken care off, just don't know when.

And about new reviews... it's the problems with the new updating system. There were some unexpected things that caused problems, because until you actually do an update, you can't know everything that could go wrong. That's why there's a slight halt on the addition of the new games (the Amazon was an updating test). So can't really tell you about the week's prediction Reup made (the week may stretch).
Yeah I got three reviews on Abandonia yet it only says two (Eye of Horus and Cyberrace) - the Pac In Time review didn't get counted. I provided the game, review and screenshots for that one as well.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/473/Pac+In+Time.html
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #29
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Two out of three isn't bad. I'm zero for everything.
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #30
Japo
Autonomous human

By the way it's not supposed to show whether the member has donated, is it?
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo