Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-11-2006, 04:41 AM   #11

This is a fantastic game for the time and I'll try it out to see how it's aged.

In fact this was the first game that I bought using the interweb back in '95 or so (ah, the old days...)

Old 10-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
Jacob

This is the bets manager game ever!!

I bought the original in 1994, and later the foloow-up in 1996. I haven't stopped playing the game since. Thr reason? The 2D match engine. It's a VERY realistic engine, and it's nice to see that it has finally gotten its recognition, when Champ manager decided to bring an exact copy of it in Championship Manager 4.

I alway take a team from the 4th division, and bring it to the Super League, to win plenty of championships. Once you discovered the tricks, it's not that hard. But still fun!

Some hints :

1 : Always(!) play a 3-4-3 with one sweeper(stay back) and 2 CB's in defence, DM, CM, LM and RM in midfield, and CF and 2 strikers up front.

2 : Players "pop" in value twice during their carrer. At about 20 years and about 23 years. So buy them before those ages. And sell when they are 28!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 25 2006, 02:11 PM

I can hardly understand what you mean with your post. Try describing your problem again, slowly and calmly.

Hi.

I can't play this game in my PC (Win XP Pro SP2).
Anytime I try to play there's a proccess "ntvdm.exe" that takes all the CPU and the game stops (also my PC sound really bad).
In wich configuration do you play? Win 98?

Please answer.
Bye!

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: html

Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

it wont run xp, you need to use dosbox. download it from this site and check some tutorial=)
Old 04-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by Pieter @ Oct 5 2006, 10:25 AM

After 1-0, Wizard games published 2-1.
I remember playing a very similar version of this game, except it was with the english league and it had fewer options (no economy for exemple). Most probably an earlier version of 1-0 by the same producer.

Does anyone remember that one ?? still looking for it.

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: html borked

Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #16
SPA2TACU5

Quote:
Originally posted by TheChosen @ Sep 20 2006, 09:19 AM

Looks very simple and nice.

I should try this someday.
Haha I even bought the game. I believe it came from Ireland. I still have that floppy disk and probably the """"manual"""".
Anyway me and my brother played this game over and over. Thing was it ended in 2040 or something. That was really bad. There were quite some flaws in it, but I was very addictive. I remember one of the first things to do was to buy a guy called Guruceta. A striker who would score 40 - 50 goals per season.

Anyway, I rate this manager game 5/5.

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: html removed

Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #17

Wizard Games of Scotland Ltd...
ok so it was Scotland
Btw my game had black backgrounds instead of grey.

Old 23-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest @ Aug 10 2007, 08:59 AM

Wizard Games of Scotland Ltd...
ok so it was Scotland
Btw my game had black backgrounds instead of grey.

Hey !!

i can`t save the game....

i hope anyone can help me ....!!!

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: html

Old 05-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest @ Aug 4 2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pieter @ Oct 5 2006, 10:25 AM

After 1-0, Wizard games published 2-1.
I remember playing a very similar version of this game, except it was with the english league and it had fewer options (no economy for exemple). Most probably an earlier version of 1-0 by the same producer.

Does anyone remember that one ?? still looking for it.
yesssss! twas The Soccer Game. i can't find it anywhere!!!

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: html

Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #20
spydre
Lurker

Default Game Play Tips

The key to game play on the field is to constantly change the positioning of players to get the "effects" of the desired position and to move the players to the desired locations. I will list a few examples:

Passing: To encourage a player to pass the ball on command, change the ball carrier to either a defensive position, or (my preference) a forward midfielder on "quick/long pass". Set the player that you desire to receive the pass as a striker (I would recommend on "keep ball" to avoid having him pass it away once he gets it). Change any other attacking players on the pitch to midfielders or defenders to avoid having them become the target of the pass.

Once the pass is received you can then change the receiver to whatever positioning will be of next advantage.

Getting the ball past a defender: To encourage a player to do his trickiest footwork and baffle an approaching defender, change the player to a full back on "quick/short passing". Quickly change another nearby player or players to strikers or center forwards. The ball carrier will go into some quirky dribbling, while the newly converted attackers will begin to rush forward. The defense will rush to cover the attackers while the full back dribbles on by. Once past the defense convert the man with the ball to an attacker with keep ball, or alternatively have him pass or cross onto one of your other players (see passing above).

Shoot on command: Whenever your player with the ball is at the location where you want him to shoot, or if he's about to receive a pass or a cross and you want him to volley the ball straight at the net, convert him to a centerback on "keep ball/short passing", and he will fire the shot instantly.

Other tips: Converting a player to a winger with "quick/short passing" will achieve an effect similar to the "fullback trick" (see above) but instead of fancy footwork, the player will dribble wide and out to the wing and sometimes around potential midfielder tacklers. From the wing, the passing maneuver given earlier can be used to force a cross to an uncovered player rushing up the center.

There are many more such tricks but it's more fun to find them on your own. To properly accomplish these feats, the game should be played on a very slow speed. An hour of actual game time for really fancy play on the field is not out of the question. Playing against another human opponent using this method you should allow for a full 90 minutes (and I'd recommend a half time to allow tempers to cool). Played in this manner the game takes on the aspect of a non-stop action chess match wherein the pieces constantly changing as the game is played.

Peace,

-S
spydre is offline                         Send a private message to spydre