Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #81
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

not in pcg they don't.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 18-05-2005, 07:35 PM   #82
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

And not in Computer Games, they do not.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 18-05-2005, 10:31 PM   #83
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm personally not too concerned whether a magazine or site rates everything above 50% or not, because it's relatively easy to skew that by focusing these days on only Big Name Titles from Big Name Companies that are done with reasonable (if sometimes very dull, ie, Rise of Nations) competence.

That said, if any game magazine reviews Dungeon Lords in its 1.0 state and gives it above 65%, I would be inclined to wave my privates in its aunties' faces.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 18-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #84
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

I don't follow reviews as much as I used to do when buying a game, usually I'll look at it and see whether or not some of the points are pleausable, but at times they can be opinionated and that's fine, if I can I try to rent the game, (Console side of course) PC games, its harder but still I look around to many sources both magazine and online.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 18-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #85
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

I don't really look at reviews either..but I do look at the screenshots in the mag and read a bit to figure out if it sounds appealing
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 20-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #86
snowowl0909

Combination of print mags like PC Gamer/Computer Gaming World plus some online reviews using Game Ranking, IGN, Gamespot, and Game-Over-Oline is best from past experience. Can't hurt to get a broad perspective.
snowowl0909 is offline                         Send a private message to snowowl0909
Old 21-05-2005, 02:19 AM   #87
Anon
Lurker

Actually, I found Amazon to give very good reviews from customers. I've always considered Rome Total War, and then read about five reviews from Amazon about the major AI bug what never got updated after two patches. Likewise the possibility the expansion won't have this problem, thus more money for something they should have fixed before putting it on the market. Then hearing how they kept deleting about this error on their technical forums from customers and saying that had fixed this bug in the patches when they didn't.

Didn't hear about that big bug from any the major online computer game reviewers and magazines who gave it generally good reviews.

Something I experienced with the Demo version 2.0 of Devil Whisky, the game kept crashing so I went to the technical forum. Usual rubbish, update your drivers and adjust your video and sound settings was the reply. Well, it was the fact the game didn't crash when I didn't use the mouse and had nothing to do with the above.

However the company had stated that the demo had been upgraded 2.0 specifically to include mouse support and that it had been fixed. So I politely mentioned the mouse problem on their forums and they deleted my feedback without a reply, which was nice.

Had the same problem with Neverwinter Nights, had to rely on the players community to tell me why the toolset kept crashing not Bioware.

At least with the inferior VGA Eye Of The Beholder 2 game they advised of a major bug in the documentation and I could play the game straight through without my enjoyment being spoilt with any bugs. (I'm being sarcastic.) Can run it on XP with VDM with mouse support.

Yes, I got nostalgic with the Eye Of The Beholder series and got bored with it probably because I've played it too many times.

Bought DOOM3, completed and enjoyed the original so many times as well. No problems at all with DOOM3 regarding bugs and performance which was a shock, considering it supposed requirements I have a NVIDIA FX5700LE graphic card. However never completed it because I got bored with the playing style and therefore got deleted.

All that glitters is not gold.
Anon is offline                         Send a private message to Anon
Old 21-05-2005, 07:09 AM   #88
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I follow net guide reviews it is a pc magazine in astralia and newzeland they are good because some game demos are on the cd-rom that comes with it every month it icludes stuff like zone alarm avg ati virus ad-awarese and spy bot search and destroy
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 22-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #89
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Hehey I really like the Stronghold games.

But yes, the games were a bit 'bleh'. I am getting really pissed off with all of the 'MMO Cash-in games'.

We already have that Disney one and the Matrix one, the Star Wars one too.

What we really need is an official release of a Freelancer MMO (although playing it in groups of 32 all in Freighters is a LOT of fun).

That does not mean EVE Online before anyone starts that off. I like it, but it's not Freelancer.

PC Gamer also releases a lot of tools on the discs, but what I really don't like is the way that the Max Payne 2 mods are always quite small and cool-looking, but they cram the discs with stuff like 'Monsters Mod for Doom3 - Monsters 3 times as grotesque!' which is like 12 Gb and ignore the simpler, but better stuff.

Also, X-Com is a special case. R Havell has a point, you know. A lot of oldies aren't that good and contrary to common opinion, new games do NOT just improve on the graphics, if they are well made they can be some of the best games ever.

See Freelancer for example. Or the (reasonably new) Combat Mission games. Even Grim Fandango .

All of these are fantastic games, all of these are quite new (although I now remember that GF is like 7 years old).
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks