Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
jake4426

Default Any great strategy games?

Anyone know any great strategy games froom 2005- Present? Been playing the TW series but i am looking for somthing new. anyone have an sggestions?
jake4426 is offline                         Send a private message to jake4426
Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

And why nothing older than 2005?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
jake4426

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
And why nothing older than 2005?
Just want a more up to date game that still makes mods for it and still supports it.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Try out Hearts of Iron II from the Paradox Interactive. I do believe that should really be of interest to you, seeing that you've played the Total War games.
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
jake4426

What about the Hearts of Iron 3 that came out? is it any good or should i get the second one?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Hearts of Iron 3 seems a little harder to me but i havn't played it that much....but all Canadian forces in france at the start of the war were slaughtered like nothing even though i was technologically ahead then the survivors retreating back to england were, of course, attacked by subs and my entire fleet and army was lost! That right there was my most maddening thing in all HoI's, the fact entire fleets could be lost like nothing!

Though invasions are easier I invaded Sicily with Paratroops and southern Italy with normal forces and by the end of the week my beachhead was near permanent, had like 10 divisions in Italy by the time the british came, and from their we pile drived threw rome and right into southern europe before the germans stopped us

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I wasted 100-200 hours on Europa Universalis II, a 2003 game. It's very good. The basic idea is similar to Total War's: depending on the period and conditions, you can create an empire, build a viable economy etc. The biggest difference from Total War games is the lack of direct-control battles. If you need a more recent one try Europa Universalis III. I haven't tried it myself, but the concept doesn't change much over the years. Another strategy I liked, but found it too short was World in Conflict. It's not a hardcore game such as HoI or EU, and the scale of the battles is reduced to roughly one-two battalions. If you want to spend more time, though, you'd better find another game, cause WiC's replayability is mostly in multiplayer. Not long ago I also played Blitzkrieg, another very addictive game from 2003 in WWII. It's based on the Sudden Strike series, but from my discussions with Mighty Midget it seems Blitzkrieg has the advantage of random battles between the main historical ones. This increases replayability. No economy management here, just like in World in Conflict. Again if you need something from the period you noted, try Blitzkrieg II, but I didn't get to play this one.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Luumu
Lurker

Supreme Commander
Luumu is offline                         Send a private message to Luumu
Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I would go with Europa Universalis II or III, both are good games. You will spend hours playing them. I have played as Scotland and taken over England and started on parts of Europe. It has many similarities with the Total War games, but is different as well.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Civilization.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127