Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Post Which are your favourite books?

Well, folks, this thread was just waiting to be opened. I'm sure there are a lot of us who love to read - I surely do! Why don't we share our experiences?

My favourites so far are the Stanislaw Lem sci-fi novels. I bought three anthologies that contained some of his most famous works, including, but not limited to:

Eden
Return from the Stars
Solaris
The Invincible
Peace on Earth

These were the ones I recalled now, but mostly because it's impossible to name his best - his entire bibliography worths a read, really, well if you enjoy long novels with philosophical monologues.

I used to read some fantasy too, limited to Terry Pratchett, and Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. But not DragonLance - rather the fairly unknown Death Gate Cycle.

Back in the old days I've gone through the 2000s kids mandatory read Harry Potter saga and even the Narnia books. Well, I haven't opened them ever since, but dude, did it worth it to purchase them all.

Then there was The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon, quite awesome retelling of the history of medieval french royalty from the era of Philip IV (1307 A.D.).

I'd love to mention my favourite Hungarian novels as well, but some of them were not translated into English sadly - quite a loss I tell you. But P. Howard is an exception, and an exceptional writer as well! He wrote numerous great 'pulp fiction' novels, mostly about the French Foreign Legion of the early 20th century - one could say it's the Indiana Jones era, sans archeology, nazis, and ancient tombs. Well recommended.

But I rather wouldn't bore you with my stuff - what are YOURS?

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker