Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
Manaka Junpei
Lurker

I saw, that on this forum a lot of you people know quite some things about animes and mangas. But because noone knows every anime or manga on this lil planet feel free to talk about them here.

So here's a few of them I'd like to recomend

Movies: Porco rosso - the story talks about a pig, that was a long time ago an Italian pilot, but didn't want to serve the faschistic regime and is now "flying solo".
The story may sound dumb, but if you look at it more carefully, you can see why the young man has become a pig.
Mimivo sumaseba (whisper of the heart) - a really nice story about tho young people, with big dreams but no courage to realize them.
Mononoke hime - a demon atacks a village, but is luckily stoep by the young prince of th village. However the prince is left with a curse, that will eat trough his flesh and eventually kill him.

Series: One piece - does it need any introduction?

Mangas: Ichigo 100% - a student named manaka dreams of becomming a famous film director. One fateful day on the rooftop, a girl with strawberry panties drops out in front of him and disapears as quickly as they met. Manaka wastes no time, to find out who the misterious girl was. Will he ever discover the true identity of the girl with strawberry panties, or will he encounter someone better on his search?
Manaka Junpei is offline                         Send a private message to Manaka Junpei
Old 26-11-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
Eva02Soul
Game freak

Genesis survivor Gaiarth: Unfortunately i only saw the first volume of this, but that was hard enough to find in the first place. It's an 80's anime (roughly the original Vampire Hunter D period) about a world that has had it's original civilization destroyed by war. The people rebuilding now are technoscavengers of the worst kind, but a teenager reactivates one of the last relics of the old times, some powerful mecha thing. Give me a break, I was 8 when I saw this thing. :whistle:
Eva02Soul is offline                         Send a private message to Eva02Soul
Old 26-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
Galadrin
Abandonia nerd

OOOOH... I like these topics. I can think of two off the top of my head that I could talk about:

Samurai Champloo: Easily one of the best anime I have seen in the last few years (excluding Berserk) that seems to have it all. Two strong fighters, excelent music matching to the scenes, truly geat animation, a sense of tragedy throughout and a low cutsie rating.
Mugen and Jin are to fighters who, despite wanting to kill one another, have agreed to help Fuu find her Samurai that smells like sunflowers in order to settle a debt of honor.

Gantz: One of the most graphic anime (and manga) I've seen. The action points are kinda boring, with typical "kill a bunch of little baddies then go after the big baddy" type setup, bad action game stylie, but what drew me in was the unblinking peek into the darker side of humanity and the moral questions that are asked.
The idea is that when some (seemingly random) people die an exact replica is created in a little room with a black ball in it. After a short time the ball will open up and tell the people in the room what kinid of alien they are to hunt for. Survivors are awarded points based on how many kills they make.
Galadrin is offline                         Send a private message to Galadrin
Old 26-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I've only seen Hayao Miyazaki's films (except one), and all were truly stunning. I hope to watch a lot more anime.

And Porco Rosso was the first movie I saw, when I first heard about it, it did seem a little stupid but it turned out to be a great film.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 26-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Thornwood
Forum hobbit

Can't say I've seen too much anime, though I think I'm becoming somewhat of a fan from waht I've seen.

I've most familiar with Vision of Escaflowne. In fact, it's the first anime I became familiar with, and the only one I own on DVD. It's a fantasy/mecha that is more directed at girls, though I know some guys who really like it, too.
I'm really terrible at expressing my opinion (especially when trying to give a review), but here goes: this show just has such a variety of characters, and there are so many that you get to see backstories of. I find it quite interesting to see which characters people love and which annoy them; it seems to vary a lot depending on the person. My personal favourites are Van, Dilandau, Miguel, and Dryden. I don't know what more to say. Just watch it! And don't be turned off by the first episode, which is much cheesier than the rest of the show.

I've also seen the movie, which is really good once you can forget most of what you've seen in the TV series. It's much gorier and geared more towards guys than the TV series, but it's really enjoyable. And it has better music and animation to boot; The introductory sequence left me absolutely speechless.

I've also really enjoyed Millenium Actress, though I haven't found anyone else who's seen it too. A little confusing at first, but really cool (especially with the breathtaking animation), and it has a really good blend of energies and emotions that drive the movie along. There is a certain innocence and poise in the main character that I just love.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is simply astounding, though I haven't managed to watch past episode 16. It's just so... if you haven't seen it, I strongly suggest that you do so.
Thornwood is offline                         Send a private message to Thornwood
Old 26-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
Xikarita
Abandonia nerd

I used to watch a lot of Anime when I was in highschool (sigh)
Anyway, my fav. ones are Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Wicked City and...Animatrix

I've also watched Howl's Walking Castle recently...it was great! k:
Old 26-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Does anybody watch Hellboy? Is it good, I also want to see Steamboy and FF7:AC, althoough FF7 isn't anime
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 28-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #8
Manaka Junpei
Lurker

muck, this topic isn't moving anywhere. Ah well it's my duty to continue then

Series:
Naruto - the story in Naruto, talks about a ninja boy, that has a mighty demon sealed in him. The other people fear him and as you know, fear can qickly transform into hatred. But the boy only wants to be acknowledged by someone and therefore decides, to do everything in his might to achieve that goal

Mangas:
Death note - a Shinigamy (god of death) drops his death note on our planet. A student called Yagami Raito picks up the death note. He soon finds out, that the Death note grants you great powers. He decides to help make the world a better place with it, by killing all the criminals on this earth. The story may sound dumb, but believe me that it is great.
Manaka Junpei is offline                         Send a private message to Manaka Junpei
Old 28-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #9
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I have a few Anime's. Akira of course as well as Macross+ and something called Tokio Babylon.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 28-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

Akira was alright, Mononoke was pretty good as well... Ghost in the Shell was, well, decent...
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit