Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #101
Triton

If women wanted to reduce their chances of being raped, they would learn self defense and not dress like hookers. Doing this does not eliminate their chances, but it greatly reduces them.

EDIT: Also, what's so bad about rape anyway? It's just sex. The past several posts have seen people tell me that sex with different people is A-OK, so why bother resisting if you're being raped? It sounds hypocritical to me.

Old 21-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #102
Galadrin
Abandonia nerd

Alright, we obviously differ on this point. But the question remains: Do you think a woman who is raped should be forced to carry the child to term?
Galadrin is offline                         Send a private message to Galadrin
Old 21-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #103
Triton

She shouldn't have to, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's murder.

Old 21-09-2005, 12:10 AM   #104
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Keep it clean, Triton.

"dress like hookers" is asking for trouble. Do not push your luck with me. :angry:

Whenever you feel the urge to say something like that again, say "dress in a revealing way to knowingly play on sex" or something like that. You are asking for people to flame you. Stop that, or this topic gets shut down.
Old 21-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #105
Triton

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik
So what if Chuck and Puffin decided to flame Triton? It's their opinion.
*cough*

Old 21-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #106
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Alright.... all suspensions and warns have been carried out. Please continue the debate.
Old 21-09-2005, 03:51 AM   #107
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Hmm. I have a few things to say to the current turn of the conversation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton
I find this to be a highly ignorant statement.* If you don't want kids, don't breed them; if you don't want to be raped, don't skank yourself out and avoid being alone and take self-defense lessons. Not all adoption agencies are businesses either, but I guess you didn't do your homework long enough to find that out.
Regarding ignorance, I have to say that this is probably one of the most unfounded statements I have ever heard.

Some of you may know I left college less than a year before receiving my degree. What may be a shock to you is that the reason I left was because I was raped. I was working on my independent study ethnography project when I attended a frat party to take notes on behavior. I have never been an incredibly social person, and would certainly never have been qualified as a "skank", and I was there minding my own business, taking notes, when I started to feel sick, and went to the bathroom. I blacked out, and came to many hours later, outside of my building, with no idea how I got there, where my stuff was, or why I felt like such crap.

I went to the clinic, and after I had explained what happened, the nurse drew my blood and performed a rape kit. It turned out that someone had slipped GHB into the diet coke I had been drinking.

I was not dressed sexily (I never really have been "fashionable"), I wasn't alone, and the effects of GHB and similar date-rape drugs render self-defense useless.

I left the university because I never even saw the face of the person who did that to me, and it got to the point that I was so paranoid, I thought every man I met could be the one who had attacked me. It got to the point that I couldn't even leave my apartment without feeling sick.

And as for this:

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton
EDIT: Also, what's so bad about rape anyway? It's just sex. The past several posts have seen people tell me that sex with different people is A-OK, so why bother resisting if you're being raped? It sounds hypocritical to me.
What's so bad about rape, and any other sexual abuse, is the fact that the person has no choice in the matter. It is a violation in every possible sense of the word. What is being discussed here is consensual sex, which by the very term, is defined as the informed decision (read: choice) to have sex by a person who is determined rational enough to give consent.

And to turn things back to the actual topic (and I am sorry for my long post, but I thought I had a right to address the opinion that women bring rape upon themselves)... I am incredibly thankful that I did not become pregnant, and wasn't forced to deal with the choice of aborting a child on top of all of that.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 21-09-2005, 03:54 AM   #108
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

...these are all reasons why I see it fit to oust procreation all together. Let's get those test tube babies out.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 21-09-2005, 04:15 AM   #109
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton@Sep 21 2005, 12:04 AM
If women wanted to reduce their chances of being raped, they would learn self defense and not dress like hookers.* Doing this does not eliminate their chances, but it greatly reduces them.
What is THAT again? "IF women wanted to reduce their chances"... impliying they don't wanna? What SICK arguement is it to say "if you don't wanna get raped, learn self defence"? Like it is perfectly ok to rape anyone if they CAN't defend themselves? Hey, if you want it and nobody can stop you: Just take it. Welcome to the stone age.
And you DARE and talk about ANY kind of "moral values"? Could you be only a SMALL bit MORE hypocritical? I doubt that. To follow this idea: What do you tell relatives of people that got shot? "Well, it's their own fault, they should've been wearing body armour"? Run over by a car? "Hey, shouldn't have left the house". Man, I feel almost like trading places. The world YOU live in is so much easier than the real one...

If people like YOU actually wanted to increase their chances of being taken seriously (and lower their chances of having their face smashed in one day), they would stop being such ignorant morons that think that the whole life on this planet can be nicely and seperatedly been put into little boxes and then everything is fine.

EDIT: see Tai's post? SEE THAT, Mr. Easy-Explanations? Just what I was talking about... I'm just waiting for you to find a way to imply she ALSO was to blame for it...

As has been already said: Most women are not raped when coming home from the annual "Ms. Floozy"-contest. They're raped at home. Or at work. By someone they're likely to know. Husbands, relatives, superiors, teachers... Someone who wants to have power and couldn't care less how that specific woman looks in this very situation. Get a life for YOURSELF and see what it's like. You'll find it a little different from what Mum and Dad always tell you. And INFORM yourself on the matter, before you spout such despicable "opinions".

Quote:
EDIT:* Also, what's so bad about rape anyway?* It's just sex.* The past several posts have seen people tell me that sex with different people is A-OK, so why bother resisting if you're being raped?* It sounds hypocritical to me.
Nice try, hypocrit. I already made clear why it is NOT sex, but a crime. And it's perfectly understandable, even for you. You really make me sick.

BTW.: How does the nice liitle box look like in which you put CHILDREN who got raped?
I guess they're also to blame for it themselves. Maybe they should just stop being so damn child-like in order not be so attractive to pederasts...

@ Fawful: That is not an opinion, it is an old prejudice that has been proven wrong again and again and which is deeply rooted in western patriarchism (which is in turns again rooted in christianity). AND it is an insult to every woman that has suffered such a thing. Tritons repeated demonstrations of insensitiveness (and ignorance) towards this topic just shows that he has no real experience or knowledge about it to base an opinion on. But then again I think he is just deliberatly being such a butthole, because he knows he can raise some hell that way.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 21-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #110
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Triton, one of the key elements of sex is that it brings people closer together. A stranger who has sex with you is somebody that you do not want to be close with. Plus you also have to remember that a lot of rapists are actually mentally ill and would attack just about anyone, no matter what they look like. If you're alone in a city then you'll always be vulnerable, even if you were carring a knife and knew self-defence. Screaming for help is not very useful when everyone is asleep and nobody can help you.

Also asking a rapist to use contraception or that you're about to have a period is obviously not really going to affect these people.

Also, 'responding' to people's post by merely saying 'go and do your homework' or 'yeah well your opinions are wrong' is not going to help you win an argument.

The world is just a big shade of grey, that's how it is. Trying to tell women that if they don't dress provaocatively they won't get assaulted is trying to sort it out into two groups. As in Tai's case, that's not always true. There are also women who walk around York city centre with practically nothing on who are seemingly not getting raped day after day.

An open mind helps when you are discussing things like sex and abortion and when people start closing themselves off to others' views then there is a problem.

Chuck, for once I agree with you (although not all western mothering is based on Christianity). Catagorising everything is not wise, nor is basing anything on 'moral values'. The whole point of your mind is that you can think outside of what you are told. When this stops happening then something's going wrong.

For example President Bush being elected for a lot of people because of his 'moral values' is wrong. But that's off topic to a high degree.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks