Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-09-2006, 06:38 AM   #21
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

I'm kinda surprised that more people aren't blaming video games for this loser's actions. I mean, the American media are usually all over that angle, but this BBC article is the first place I've read anything close to it. It's been mentioned in other articles that he got off on playing some stupid game based on the Columbine shootings (and let's be honest, that should raise a red flag), but there hasn't been the general hue and cry against gaming that normally accompanies something like this. Maybe it's still to come. But you know, whatever is said, video games weren't the cause of this. One idiot with no future and a few firearms was the cause of this.
Old 16-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #22
Morrin
Underground

Quote:
Living in the same country and I categorize myself pacifist. That's exactly the reason why I chose to enter the service. To upkeep credible defence force and give a hint to any possible invader that it would get too expensive. Would I ever had any doubts, I most likely would had gone anyways, only to smooth my way to working life... Self defence, yes, I believe in it too. Just remember to avoid any unnecessary damage and always hit only once, but hard enough, if you ever have to. Then go away (after making sure he/she is still okay). One bad bruise is better than ten milder ones in the eyes of law.
[/b]
This is the kind of thing finns have debated for centures: civilmen say that there will never be war again, military say that what if there will be?

But I respect your way either way. By military career I didn't quite mean military career, I meant military service.

Peace
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 16-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #23
chainsoar
Master Debater

Truth is, this is a phase. A few years ago, the face of evil was rock music. Remember Columbine? Of course, we all know now that was all Marilyn Manson's fault, right? That was a phase, and it died. Video game violence is the latest fad. It'll die too and end up on the landfill of American obsessions along with so many others. Hillary Clinton, who is at the forefront of this campaign, says - "Our children need to be protected from these games" - or some such thing. Read the CD case, Hillary. See that thing there that says "18"? (or whatever the American equivalent is)..Case closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 16-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
Morrin
Underground

Heh, well when they and the mob gets bored of the "ruiner of our children" (and the blamed scene numb) they tend to start blaming something that makes the people stand on their toes, just to see how they react. And ofcourse the politics and lawyers must have something to do.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 16-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #25
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Um, aren't you guys over-reacting?
They didn't say he got went on a spree because of video games, they only said he PLAYED video games, and on his blog, he said he himself admired Postal Dude.

It doesn't sound like finger pointing, it sounds more like exact and informative journalism.
There's a line people, don't act like babies, nothing there that was said was offensive.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 17-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #26
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chainsoar @ Sep 16 2006, 08:27 AM) [snapback]255387[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
See that thing there that says "18"? (or whatever the American equivalent is)[/b]
The American equivalent is 18. We measure age in years over here too. :bleh:
Old 17-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #27
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I always thought differently.. I mean, the australians use Abandonian Years...

It is rather inevitable that computer games came into it, isn't it? I guess the media really has nothing better to do with its time these days...
Old 17-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #28
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Aye, 1 Abandonian year is 3.04 Earth days.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 17-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #29
Danny252
I have a custom title!

So earlier this week you were 6.08 days old?
Old 17-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #30
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

No I said that assuming Earth years and Abandonian years were the same... but they aren't... I have been a member for 2 Earth years. So I'm 240 Abandonian years.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow