Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-03-2005, 01:04 AM   #21

Move the cursor with the mouse, select things with the left mouse button, cycle the sidebar on the right and cancel things with the right mouse button.

Old 24-03-2005, 01:05 AM   #22

Does anyone know where to get a manual for this game? I've Googled but can't seem to grab one. I'm at a loss at how to make my artillery shoot things.

Old 15-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #23
pachoo

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 23 2005, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know where to get a manual for this game? I've Googled but can't seem to grab one. I'm at a loss at how to make my artillery shoot things.

Go to www.the-underdogs.org and search for panzer general. To make your arty shoot things, left click on the unit to select it, then a red target will appear on nearby enemy units. Typically your range is 2 to 3 hexes away depending on the type of arty. Left click again and it should fire.
pachoo is offline                         Send a private message to pachoo
Old 19-04-2005, 06:12 AM   #24
Boors d' Gauves

:help: Hi!, I'm running the game in Win98. I've no problem until the third mission. When i'm in the middle of it, and I pass the turn, the game crash!!
Please, someone help me!!...

This is a great page!! k:
I want to thanks Abandonia and his crew!!... :bye:

Old 20-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #25

One thing to notice is, as the artillery is very important, is that after you move your artillery you can't attack with it in that turn anymore. You have to attack first and after that you can optionally move if you like, the turn ends then. Whenever you move the artillery it will end this units turn.

A technical problem I found while playing the 'Underdogs' version was, while playing 'Fall Weisz' I couldn't destroy the polish light armored vehicles without the game crashing instantly.
I had to make it past that point by slowly damaging that unit till it retreats frightenedly.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:18 AM   #26
Old and old

Finding this place just made my year. PG was my 1st PC game, and I have been hoping it, like Steel Panthers, would have been made XP friendly. k:

Old 07-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #27
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Do not underestimate the power of the level bombers/strategic bombers. Though usually they do not kill as many troops as the tactical bombers, or even artillery, they are supreme killers. I will explain how. Suppression(sp?). You have an enemy stronghold surrounded, attack with strategic bombers one of their regiments that has no way to move if it wants to retreat, and that you can attack it with land forces at that turn. The strategic bomber will do minimum damage (1-2+) but the suppresion will be (usually) much higher, perhaps 5-8. So, if the bomber hits it for 1 kill, the regiment has 9 left (based on a 10 strength unit) and say 6 suppressed. That means when you attack it the same turn with a land unit it only has 10-(1+6)=3 effective strength for attack and defence. Which means first that it has less strength to harm your land unit, but more importanly, if your land unit attacking it succeed to kill and/or suppress at least 3 of it, the unit has to retreat. Having no way to retreat though will force it to surrender. Excellent! Where for example if you used a tactical bomber it would perhaps kill say 3-4, but the rest 6 would be ready to fight at the next attack and probably survive an attack or two, plus damage your land unit/s.
Since time and resources is something you cannot afford to waste, go for it!

Also in the first few campaign missions try whenever you have prestige points to buy core units to reach your max. (focusing on land units, but don't forget the airforce). The reason is that later one (invasion of Norway onwards) the missions get tougher and time is a problem. Together with prestige. It is better to keep attacking, leaving severely damaged units from the frontline so that they repair/refill when you have the points, but also have enough units to keep on attacking and not missing a single turn without attacking/moving your goals.

I love this game. I played it first in mid-late 94 IIRC, but my best memories from it are from early 95 when I joined the navy and had a higher ranking officer introduced to the game and in our free time we would use one of the PCs in the ASW to play some multiplayer games, great time! (and I kept losing, but I am sure I would kick his behind now :-p )

I also played the game a couple of years ago on PBEM and it is still very good multiplayer experience.

I started playing a new campaign a few days ago. I like all the other games of the 5 Star Series though I am probably the only one that finds Fantasy General the less good and Star General my favourite. Oh well!
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 07-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #28
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Also, use few artilleries only. And when you have them go for mobile ones even if they are not as powerful. If you want to play it realy bad behind attacker then go for the artilery that has range 1 and have it behind your land units, so that it only attacks for suppresive fire when the enemy attacks your forces. :evil:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 07-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #29
DSmidgy
Abandonia nerd

Well, different people use different tactics.

I think that trick with tatical bomber isn't very useful because you spend a lot of turns for surrounding the unit instead of "running over" them. And a player can get in short of turns very quickly.

I have this tactics: I kill (damage) the enemy artillery with tac bomber (and soften air defense if it is there), then soften the units with my artillery and finish them with tanks or infantry (in cityes).

I put my prestige to upgrade the units instead of having lots of week ones. This way I can finish the campaign without loosing a core unit (with save/load of course).

I did't know until now what supression is
Maby that will help me with PG2 I'm playing now.
DSmidgy is offline                         Send a private message to DSmidgy
Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #30
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I never said that the trick works with tactical bombers, I said strategic bombers.

I too try to have fully upgraded tanks, don't get me wrong, there is enough prestige around :-)

Also, I never reload when/if I lose core units. I have already finished the game a long long long time ago, (without reloading then either) and I prefer the game without this kind of cheating. If you lose unit(s), then tough luck! I still manage to lose no more than 1 or 2 at max core units per mission. (till I hit soviet union that is, especialy moscow attack). I think it makes you a better "general" if you accept the losses and learn from your mistakes. And in cases of bad luck, as I said before, muck happens.