Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #11
StormTheGates

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rorschach @ Dec 13 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]271600[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StormTheGates @ Dec 12 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]271420[/snapback]
Quote:
Contest? No I just reviewed it for shits and giggles.
[/b]
I meant the recent abandonia contest:

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...howtopic=12472

I checked just now, and yes, Obitus was game #22 in it.
[/b][/quote]

Well Ill be damned. *shrugs*
StormTheGates is offline                         Send a private message to StormTheGates
Old 21-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
Fantasy Freak

Another demo I had on the ST and never got around to buying the full game. ACE! k:
Keep up the good work, tried to download the other night but was taking ages, will try again soon.
When I'm rich* I'll remember you!

*Never going to happen
Fantasy Freak is offline                         Send a private message to Fantasy Freak
Old 21-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
Fantasy Freak

Help
I eventually got this to download, however, maximum it will allow is 16 colours (not a s bad as it sounds) and when I get to the 1st running section, I get to the end and then it acts as a dead end. Am I meant to press something or is this a glitch?

Cheers
Fantasy Freak is offline                         Send a private message to Fantasy Freak
Old 21-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

That way is just not open yet. Find the key bearer, and try opening more doors.
Old 22-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
Fantasy Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Dec 21 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]272333[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
Cheers Pal, I'll try that.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #16
Fantasy Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Dec 21 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]272333[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
Oh I got the key off that guy but it doesn't seem to work in any of the towers doors, what am I missing?
ALso I upgraded dosbox and now have all colours and intro, yippee!
Cheers
Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Oh, my. Oh, My...... This is the VERY First PC game I EVER played. :nuts:

In Monochrome with a 5.4" floppy. (guess it was the demo or so)

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #18
Tito
Alley Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Freak View Post
Oh I got the key off that guy but it doesn't seem to work in any of the towers doors, what am I missing?
ALso I upgraded dosbox and now have all colours and intro, yippee!
Cheers
If I remember correctly, the key that opened the second door in the tower was in the hands of a knight that you had to kill with some substance found in the depths of an old mine.

I'm afraid that's all the help I can give you, as I played this quite a long time ago.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
OldAdventureGamer83
Default About the sound...

It is worth noting that, as far as the audio goes, this game has Roland MT-32 audio support. So if you run it in DosBOX and emulate the MT-32, the audio is much, *much* better.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
LordOfMagic

This game had potential, but was seriously not well polished on pc/amiga.
It was quite brilliant on SNES.

I think the biggest problem some people have with it, is that it does not fit in any category very well. It is, honestly a completely unique game. There is no other game much like it at all.

It is NOT an RPG game. It is vaguely an adventure game. But it has a very specific bent. It is at heart, a map making game. Or a "compass" game, if you will.

The game itself is played as much on pen and paper as it is with a controller. I have a whole notebook I dedicated to map making in this game.
The way the game is designed, you cannot win, without a very good set of maps. Resources are scarce. You can make it through the first two kingdoms while being careless, but if you want to beat the game, your every move needs to be well planned. If you're wasteful early on, you won't have enough food or weapons to play in the third and forth kingdom.

It is intensely about resource management. For instance, Sir Grumwald, which you encounter in the first forest. You must kill him in order to advance, but how do you kill him? The first time I played the game, I used the blue powder on him. Dead in one strike. Major mistake. You need that powder later on. You need to kill him using the green powder twice, and then switch to daggers. He'll die quickly and won't hurt you too much.

The complaint that it has no plot is incorrect. The game is designed to be mysterious. It's like LOST, you're not supposed to understand everything that's going on at first. Each of the characters you meet slowly impart more knowledge. There are some deeper meanings carried in a lot of seemingly benign talk as well. Stuff you don't pick up on the first time you read it.

I see so many of the same elements on the pc version, but it's just kind of... not quite there. The SNES version was a brilliant game, and there is nothing else like it. It isn't for most people. But for me it was excellent and I think anyone who is intrigued by it's unique elements should check out the SNES version.
LordOfMagic is offline                         Send a private message to LordOfMagic