Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #11
_mzonas_
Forum hobbit

not so bad game, but very booooooring

USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.
_mzonas_ is offline                         Send a private message to _mzonas_
Old 24-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #12

game is lame, i downloaded it and it doesnt even work.

Old 24-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

That won't allow us to find out why it doesn't work. What happens, do you get an error message, do you run it in pure dos, in win 9x, win xp, dos box or vdmsound?
Old 24-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #14
FuSioN

i'm tryin to run it in windows xp, and i don't get an error or anything, just nothin happens. i double click and its like i never clicked anything. i am running service pack 1, but this being an old game i truly don't think it matters.

Old 24-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
Vongoethe

Of course it wouldn't work in Windows XP, after all it's an old Dos game and neither Windows XP nor the old Dos games were ever intended to get along with each other. Back then nobody knew there would be Windows XP one day, and Bill Gates didn't care in the least for the players all around the world to provide compatibility for the classic Dos games.
There's however a ray of hope for you. There has been created a special program to allow people to play these old games despite today's lack of compatible hardware and support for all the old Dos games. This program's name is DosBox and you can download it here

On the same site you'll find hints and documentation to help you get along with DosBox. And if you still have questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask here and we'll be happy to help you. May the force be with you... oh wait, that's a wrong game

Old 25-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
keropi

Quote:
Originally posted by Romano @ Sep 22 2006, 11:31 AM

Can you send us box and manual scans
are these used in Abandonia???
where to upload? how many dpi?

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: html borked
keropi is offline                         Send a private message to keropi
Old 25-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
Fantasy Freak

Wow what a rip off of Bloodwych even the character names are the same, common keys to open wooden doors and banners everywhere. Although the original didn't have the 3D feel it was two player and wasn't trying too hard for the time, like this one seems to have been. Feel free to dispute :bleh:

Quote:
Originally posted by rabadi @ Sep 21 2006, 02:09 AM

I remember reading a review somewhere saying that this game is considered as "Bloodwych with better graphics." Graphics are certainly not bad, especially compared to Bloodwych (DOS version, that is).

I actually downloaded this game from the Canine Sister (HOTU ) many months ago, but did not really play it as I recall it gave me motion sickness, just like Menzoberranzan did (well, technically Menzo does give a choice between free/fluid movement and tile-based/step-by-step movement, but still...). I also could not find a walkthrough on this game with google (nowadays as I have less gaming time and more of real life to face, I don't usually play a game without walkthrough).
'Motion Sickness' Hey that is what I get playing these games, so I can't play them properly and give them a proper chance. You can't beat the good old Dungeon Master/EOB/Bloodwych/Ishar one square at a time, although obviously the combat can be lacking. circle round and hit them in the side before they turn around and hit you for 1/2 your health and causing poison like those worms in DM!!

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: html
Fantasy Freak is offline                         Send a private message to Fantasy Freak
Old 26-09-2006, 01:16 AM   #18
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Add Lands of Lore 1 and Anvil of Dawn to that list for good old tile-based movement I don't find fighting in these games lacking though. EOB trilogy are much recommended, although I have only finished EOB1 and EOB2. I haven't tried Ishar trilogy yet. Reviews here in Abandonia say that the games are hard. Maybe someday I'll try them. Anyway, I am being off-topic here.

Back to Hexx, here is a review I found on the net: http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/iss...iews/hexx.html
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 26-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #19
Morgoth

Well that's just the same review I mentioned few posts ago, on the first page, a review for Gamebyte 21. Notice the character bar that's different from the screenshots of the game uploaded here (the link in first post of this thread).

Old 30-09-2006, 04:51 AM   #20
T-man

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth @ Sep 21 2006, 08:55 PM

The only thing I was able to find about this game is a review in one of the old Gamebyte Magazines for Dos that I have a collection of, Issue 21, together with the review supplied screenshots of Hexx that show a completely different context / control panel with the four party members than shown on the screenshots of the game here on Abandonia. The review is still of the version of Hexx made by Psygnosis though, must be an earlier version of the game...
If you press the F10 key, you will get that same control panel.

I encountered a bug in the game that made it impossible for me to finish.

Everytime I went up and down a level, the common keys on my keyrings would reset to 1. So I would have ten common keys in one inventory slot, and then when I went down a level, suddenly there would be only one key. Worst of all, the common keys disappeared from the shop, so I had nowhere to buy more.

I eventually ran out of common keys due to this bug, and I got stranded in the Tower of Grisslem, because there you need at least two common keys on you to progress. You can't go back to the Keep's shop until you finish the Tower, not that it would help because as I said, the shop stops stocking keys.

What an incredibly horrible bug to have in a commercially released game. Anyone know a way to fix it or a way around it? I suppose in the beginning of the game one should buy fifty keys and then just throw them on the floor for later, or else simply carry lots and lots of single keys with you. I'm too frustrated with this game to try. A pity, I was getting into this game and enjoying it. One should definitely turn the music off, though, and put on the radio or a cd instead.

Last edited by arete; 22-10-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: html