Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forum Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-12-2004, 02:56 AM   #11
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
counter strike and metal gear solid added stealth and storyline elements.
I used to "stealth" my way around in Duke Nukem 3D. And you can bet Metal Gear Solid or Counter Strike got nothing new in term of storyline elements. What's the RPG's for? :blink:

All what they did is either bring stealth to a point it was so needed it was annoying (and completely irrealistic, since once you got spotted you could just hide again and they completely forgot about you) or simply took something from another game and said "hey, it's new. Now play".

I'm surprised they did not make a FPS/platformer/RPG/strategy/RTS/MMORP/add-all-other-genres game yet...
Old 29-12-2004, 03:03 AM   #12
goblins
Game Wizzard

hey now dont give any of the game makers any ideas LOL - i like to see creative games being made - guess it comes down to those that
a) are able to put together a good open source game
B) have the resources to experiment and put games to marke that are original

You gotta admit though there are some good titles from time to time - half life for example and half life 2 are different.
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 29-12-2004, 03:06 AM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Read 3 post above yours, you've just resumed what I said there without the "it's not good enough to care" part.
Old 29-12-2004, 04:20 AM   #14
goblins
Game Wizzard

LOL so what would it take to care eagle - would could be added to FPS to make them more ahem "caring" fluffy pink bunny rabbits to shoot down in a care bear nice way LOL.

Cheat mode perhaps. You culd shoot the telly tubbies instead of some monster. ?
Old 29-12-2004, 04:21 AM   #15
goblins
Game Wizzard

LOL so what would it take to care eagle - would could be added to FPS to make them more ahem "caring" fluffy pink bunny rabbits to shoot down in a care bear nice way LOL.

Cheat mode perhaps. You culd shoot the telly tubbies instead of some monster. ?

so if i type l o l then it comes up as LOL LOL LOL.
Old 29-12-2004, 05:10 AM   #16
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well to be frank with you Goblins, I don't know myself. I sure liked to play Halo the first time around with the easiest setting, but I got bored fast after finishing it once.

I can't say either that I did not like the "new" additions of Halo, mainly the vehicles. But, like I said, it was really only so little that it did not make a difference in the long run.

The story was also great. That's probably what capted my attention long enough for me to actually finish the game.

But all in all, after I finished playing Halo, I looked at the box and began to think. "Well, I have played this game for roughly 20 hours at best. Cost me around 50 bucks. Now that I have finished it I'm stuck with yet another shooter which doesnt really innovate in anything, is not really original and which did not really give me the fun I wanted for the money I spent on it. Hey sure, it was fun for the few hours it lasted... But now check here, I have a game named ADOM sitting in my computer for ages which is slightly smaller than 3 megs, on which I spent 100+ hours already and on which I'm sure I'll spend at least 10 times more by the time I decide to ever stop playing with it... And it was FREE!"

Ahem... I think ADOM win. :w00t:
Old 29-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #17
Koen
Game Wizzard

What about a game like Deus Ex. Deus Ex 2 is bad, but Deus Ex 1 combines a RPG with a FPS. Stealth and skills are the most important in that game. And the fact that a story can follow different ways was fantastic. So I don't agree with you that new FPS games don't have anything new to offer. In Half Life 2, for example, you do many things with gravity. You must solve puzzles between the shooting. This was another new aspect you never / rarely saw in other games.

But some games just add no new things to the FPS genre. Was Far Cry new? Not really, but its graphics/gameplay were just exiting...
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 29-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I fear that I been so bored from FPS lately that I neither tryied or even seen someone play all the games you mentionned in your previous post Koen...

I have that strange hability to know which kind of game I am looking at if there is enough screenshots at the back of the box with a pretty slim margin of error... And since the amount of "new" games I bought recently really dropped in the past few years I became very more picky and never even tought about trying those games.

Let's say that if those games were about as good as Halo, I did good not to buy them and then go with something more interesting for my tastes...
Old 29-12-2004, 07:15 PM   #19
squim

hey, i've been playing zdaemon for a while now... i'm o.k. but not as good as most of the people on there. it would be fun if we could start up a game. it's definitely not everybodys cup of tea. very very different from playing doom by yourself but anyways... anyone want to play?
squim is offline                         Send a private message to squim
Old 31-12-2004, 10:30 PM   #20
Kestral
Abandonia nerd

It runs tnt and plut also
Kestral is offline                         Send a private message to Kestral