Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #41
The Bloodhawk

This is one smooth game for it's time. Blew my mind.
The Bloodhawk is offline                         Send a private message to The Bloodhawk
Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #42
Guest 23
Default no spacestations!

Hi,

I was an avid Elite layer back in the day and very excited to get this version and run on DOS BOX.
All works fine except, after hyperspacing out of Lave to another planet , there is no spacestation. I have circled/orbited at close distance the planets in Leesti, Diso and few others, and there just is no spacestation. Unfortunately without trading the game isn't playable. Please help - I love this game so much!

Kind regards,

Tim

Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #43
jamotide
Forum hobbit

Hehe, you have to fly to the planet first, put it in view and press J for time acceleration, it only works when no ship is near you.

Also 2 days ago David Braben started a kickstarter for Elite 4, it may finally be happening!
jamotide is offline                         Send a private message to jamotide
Old 08-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #44
guest 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamotide View Post
Hehe, you have to fly to the planet first, put it in view and press J for time acceleration, it only works when no ship is near you.

Also 2 days ago David Braben started a kickstarter for Elite 4, it may finally be happening!
Sorry, but I do fly to the planets, (using jump where possible) and then around the planet at close altitude but no spacestation ever come into view or on the console (S) scanner.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #45
Guest skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamotide View Post

I saw the Braben announcement, but that seems a long way off. Also why bother, when we already have the excellent Oolite? See www.oolite.org or Elite Wiki pages.

Old 22-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #46
Egbard
Lurker

Default original unhacked versions?

does anyone know where if possible to get the original unhacked files from?

when i playe dit from floppy, it took more than 1000 kills to get elite status, also, from ian bells own site, it suggests a total of 6400?
so i was looking for original files, /unhacked files, i dont mind using the copy portection from the manual
Egbard is offline                         Send a private message to Egbard
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #47
Raexer
Default Such a great old game.

I remember Elite very well. It was 1 of my favorite games that I had for Commodore 64 about 1989. I had hundreds of C-64 games, but Only a short list of them got regular play. Elite, Wasteland, Pool Of Radiance, Hillsfar, Legacy of the Ancients, Three Stooges, Rocketeer, Oils Well, Dig Dug and a few others round out that list. I forget what rank I had achieved in Elite before I got rid of all my C-64 equipment, but I was over a hundred planets into trading career and my ship had huge cargo hold upgrades with military lasers mounted on all views. I may download 1 of the elite emus soon and give it another go.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #48
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Same here. Few times I even carried my C64 with me in case I'm going somewhere for a few days. I was so hooked up on Elite. The feeling was... I gotta find that music I was listening to on audio tape while playing. I loved sequels with bigger background story and options, and then modern space games... but somehow the feeling wasn't the same. I guess it is because of age. You don't need much options and graphics if ther is imagination working, I guess.

I think I reache "Dangerous" status or something like that. Few times I tried "conquering" the planet, actually satelite. Ther was a local legend that you had to destroy some big number of guarding ships from satelite that are spawned if you shoot at it. And then you would get the message that they surrender and you would get lot of resources and something.... Anyway I tried it few times and escaped the system when things get out of hand, so it speeded up my kill count. I think I never went further that dimension 2 or 3 because I couldn't finish the second mission with that army ship. I think of replaying the game but I know that's impossible as adult, too much time is needed.

In all those hours and hours of playing, something happend only once to me. I was on my way to planet after jump and some object appeared. It was yellow in radar so I expected a pirate ship, but it was too small. So I went closer, because I wasn't firing at me... When I got close enough I saw it was some irregular object I never saw before. I spent quite some time flying around it and eventually decided to try picking it up. It turned out to be alien item which I carried for a while not knowing what can I use it for and eventually sold it. The fact that it happend so rarely thrilled me back then.

Awesome, awesome game. Too bad I never got to play MoonFall and Mercenary
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 07-08-2016, 04:43 AM   #49
Simonius
Lurker

Unhappy Loading broken

I was able to save and delete files in the game, but couldn't load a game after I saved it- it just kept giving me an error. I played in DosBox and copied the save file around, thinking it was a directory issue, but the fact that the game was able to delete the save files means it's a programming issue. Sadly, I deleted the game.
Simonius is offline                         Send a private message to Simonius
Old 29-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #50
Nilex
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up Loading fixed

So I just encountered the same Loading error issue. Thought maybe it was due to cracked copy protection so I tried true 1987 vanilla but same error occurs.
Cause is too complex for me to try and explain but at least the solution is easy. Download the fix from here (by ripsaw8080, who else):
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=142211#p142211
and run ELFIX.COM before ELITE.COM. This will enable loading the commander save.

Catalogue listing still wont work however. The price of advancing our technology too far
Nilex is offline                         Send a private message to Nilex