Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Wicky
the little viking

Default why are we here?

Is it because those damn developers don't manage to produce a game,
which can top our ancestors? Maybe
Or is it because graphics have taken over? Maybe

Fact is, that every million $ spent in a graphic engine is one million less in gameplay, story, balance, you call it the "REST"

Big thumbs down, you want something exciting, something that tackles your brains. But I guess we humans have no brains???
You want a serious game but there isn't.

We are getting old, I wish my body functions would already cease functioning in order to not see too much of this crap which is produced these days.

Last edited by Wicky; 20-06-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 20-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
why are we here?
Because we wanted it so. Well, not you and me I bet, but you know what I mean.
That said, the thread title doesn't fit well for the actual theme of the text.

Seriously though, it's a quite simple reason for today's games being where they are - making games is serious big business, it has developed over the years but also degraded. From making games with happiness, fun and imagination to making games for money and really mostly money, under the narrow corridor of dictation of whoever runs the development company and often with serious limits to freedom of imagination and fun. Making games has become a job, and jobs are rarely fun.
Hence why imagination remained mostly only in the indie scene, where people make freeware games for everyone.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 20-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

All of the above.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Let me blow your mind guys: It's entirely possible to enjoy old games and new games at the same time. Appreciating one does not preclude the other.

*bong noises*
Old 20-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
From making games with happiness, fun and imagination to making games for money and really mostly money, under the narrow corridor of dictation of whoever runs the development company and often with serious limits to freedom of imagination and fun. Making games has become a job, and jobs are rarely fun.
That. Really, mostly, that.

Quote:
It's entirely possible to enjoy old games and new games at the same time.
Please speak for yourself. I have never been someone who is "normal". New games nowaday are aimed only at one thing: get a hold of as many players as possible to make as much money as possible.

I'm not part of the masses the very vast majority of games aim at these days, so I am not interested in them at all. They are boring, unoriginal and unimaginative and don't catch my interest at all. I find no point in playing a bad version of C&C for the 25th time, a pale version of Duke Nukem 3D for the 55th time, a 108th copy of Golden Eyes, etc.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I always do speak for myself.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

David Wong wrote a rather thoughtful article about this, and it made my blood boil, frankly. Just looking at what the industry is trying to do to the consumer.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-mo...n-video-games/

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 20-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I think it's important to note that this is the first thing that entered my head when I read the thread title.

Old 20-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

The golden days of the video gaming industry is over. Get over it, we are definitely not the people who can make those billion dollar choices which define the 'industry'. Note I said industry, not culture. We're not about feelings anymore, we're about sold copies, virtually or not. As a cracked reader I'm pretty much aware of the future of the so-called gaming industry: you'll be literally forced to pay monthly subscription fees to some repititive and uninteresting team-oriented games where you need to pay for every small feature. Battlefield Heroes, to name a name?
I know some of us welcome this very future, where adventure and logics demanding games will be anything like Final Destination 3 (as I have said this before somewhere): You will only choose a pathway, and you will just see a nice HQ rendered movie. 21st century fun!
Or you will play games directly streamed from the developers' servers... etc. We all know this right now.

As for playing new and old games simoultaneously: that's a quite time and wealth consuming option. If you buy a console, it's either a simple, outdated Wii, which only really works if you've got some folks to play with, or an Xbox which as a M$ product can red ring anytime, anywhere, or a PS3, which is, nice, and all, but the games are the same as anywhere else, and besides, they are expensive as hell. Even if you pirate them. As a morally degraded person, I tried to come up with a saving solution, but buying a Blu-Ray writer and discs is as expensive as buying the games themselves, so... (I don't even recall seeing a blank BR disk anywhere too).
Or maybe I could buy a PC, which is not only expensive, but can span a billion of problems, not mentioning that you can still only play the same boring games you could have on the consoles mentioned above.

All in all, we have no real option if we want to be picky about videogames and want something artsy-feelsy thing we hunger for since the last time we got it...

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 20-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

You're old!

LOL If I play Lulu's video from her post, it looks like her gorilla avatar is lip-synching. Hahahahaha you can't do that on purpose.