Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
catchaserguns
Games Master

Default SOPA Law

Her in the USA our congress may pas an anti-piracy law called SOPA. It will block certain sites from the web here in the United States. Especially abandonware sites like this one. I hope it doesn't pass but I'm afraid it will. It will be voted on in January. I don't want to lose this site
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 21-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

They've been running that game for ~2 years by now. The name changes - COICA, Protect IP, SOPA, OPEN and so on - but the entire point is basically the same: They want control over what their citizens can access on the net.
This undead abomination of a law needs to be put down, but their politicians are adamant about keeping it alive.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

The last time it was around Obama said he would veto it. This kind of nonsense is what happens when you let companies make "donations" and "contributions" to politicians. They stop caring about the people and just care about where the money for the next run is coming from.

Google is dead set against it, Microsoft pulled their support and a few other companies have made their opposition known. If it all goes pear shaped big companies will be moving their hosting out of the US. Google would be leaving the US and that means Youtube as well. But it does lead a sad precedent for other countries, hopefully there are still a few people left in American politics willing to stand up for common sense and listen to the people that vote for them not just the people throwing money at them.

Also once again the "PIRACY IS EVIL!!111" brigade is out quoting made up statistics and facts. Stuff like piracy steals more money then what the whole industry makes, how you can even qualify how much money you are losing when people aren't buying your product or why baffles me. But piracy is the easy target, it is illegal and is easy to blame for people not buying your product rather than admitting that you have a crap product that people don't want to buy.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 22-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchaserguns View Post
It will block certain sites from the web here in the United States.
Actually with the hold the USA has on the DNS systems etc. they simply wouldn't just block the sites for US citizens.

anything ending with .com .org .net (and some more) would end up blocked WORLDWIDE cause the US has control over the damn backbone.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 22-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

From what I understand GTX the blocking will be done by the ISP, after a company complains about a website the American government can force American ISPs to refuse access to that site. (People have been pointing out that this presents problems with the way internet browsers check if a site is secure and could lead to phoney websites being able to work easier.) So if you aren't using a American ISP there should be no blocking, unless the company complaining sues the server host and gets it removed...something they can already do.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 22-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

I wonder if Obama would physically survive trying some sort of lobbying reform. It's depressing.

If a law is unconstitutional, how do they think they'll pass it? They make use of freedom of speech to push their consistently creepier pron empires, but try to quash actual political debate and information sharing because Australia raped Sweden!!! Good grief. Occupy movements should arm themselves with bullshit detectors and surround Congress with their beeping.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 22-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Occupy movements should arm themselves with bullshit detectors and surround Congress with their beeping.
Hmm...that sounds like an interesting proposition. Get Penn & Teller behind it and you've got it made! (In case you're puzzled why I said Penn & Teller should be backing this odd but potentially-effective protest, they once had a show on TV called Penn & Teller's Bullshit where they go after bull&^*$ claims and stuff.)

Proud Beta Tester for Desura Since October 28, 2010

Last edited by Expack2; 22-12-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Clarified intent.
Expack2 is offline                         Send a private message to Expack2
Old 22-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Occupy movements should arm themselves with bullshit detectors and surround Congress with their beeping.
The only problem with that is that the Occupants themselves would set off the detectors as much as Congress would. I'm really getting tired of our legislators over here, though. They talk and talk and talk and never seem to accomplish one damn thing. Then they talk about whose fault it was that nothing was accomplished. For this reason alone I don't think SOPA has a chance of being passed, and I hope I'm right. I'm no fan of outright piracy, but legislation like SOPA isn't a reasonable way to combat it.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about America controlling DNS. It appears that Europe controls significantly more of the root servers than the US does. Heck, even Iceland gets one!
Old 23-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
catchaserguns
Games Master

I saw a video on Youtube saying the companies that support SOPA were the same technologies who invented the file-sharing programs. Here is the link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuY...fcFOAAAAAAAGAA. You might want to check it out.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 23-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

...You shouldn't believe everything you see on the internets.

Also, read more books. Like Homer's Odyssey maybe, or Isaac Asimov. Kids today.

*distant scream of Get Off My Lawn!!! fading into the distance*

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete