Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #91
Wicky
the little viking

Don't forget, Copy protections were also different in the good ole times
I still remember when I bought Reunion in 1990 it just came with a protection asking for "word 7 on page 12" of the manual.

Could it be that the copy protection is the reason why games lost in quality?

What do Copy protections and today's games have in common?
1) They only last a few hours
2) They look fully functional at first glance

feel free to add more to this list!

PS: EoF and FPJ stay out of this thread!

Last edited by Wicky; 12-08-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #92
Wicky
the little viking

3) they cost a lot of money to produce.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #93
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm really not nostalgic for old copy protection, in fact I'm really glad that I don't have to spend time underneath my desk or behind the cupboard trying to find the manual just to type in the correct word so I can continue playing.

However, one thing I really do miss is the great game artwork and paraphernalia that came with games back then, and I guess copy protection was part of that. Things like the monkey Island pirate wheel. The book of tree and gem language etc. from Conquest of the Longbow. The tourist "magazine" that came with some of the Space Quest games. All good stuff

That kind of thing was great. With electronic delivery we don't get that really anymore.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #94
dosraider
Dismembered.

Let us blame Adobe for that.

I remember when I bought Comanche, Falcon 3.0 and others from that era, they came in a nice box, maps and several books ( yes indeed, thick BOOKS ) filled with all kinds of info, about the game itself and a lot of extra info about military planes and vehicles, tactics, flight instructions, advanced combat flight instructions, extended area maps, whatever and whatnots , too much to list.

And then one day, I bought Longbow2, F*CK, you got the game on a double CD, and on the CD a PDF, if you wanted the manual in hand whilst playing you had to print it out yourself, or you needed a second PC besides you to glance at the manual whilst playing, because yeah, W95/98 were not really able to handle such games whilst having the manual/maps opened in the background.

For crying out loud, so yes, let us blame Adobe for that.

Something for EOF to ponder about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Ugh. Today is the first day I've been able to sleep for 8 hours in a week. But looking at how the thread got spammed anyways (just like every serious topics anyways) , I see little reason to continue this thread.
You do realize that you and FPJ were in fact hijacking this topic, do you?
Just saying.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #95
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

And to think that I thought I already swore enough while I wait for ye olde adobe photoshop to startup
Old 12-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #96
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
You do realize that you and FPJ were in fact hijacking this topic, do you?
Just saying.
Hijacking how? By having a real, on topic discussion?

Right...
Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #97
Wicky
the little viking

What's up Eagle of Fire?
I can see that you dont like this thread. You see a needless topic about modern games which uses forum space and only consumes server-bandwith, but the existence of this thread wouldn't agitate you.
But then you post 500 lines of text, answer questions with a new question and generally give a fuck about the thread-creator, which happens to be me.
And then you post again, even though I told you, that you should stay out of my thread here:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...0&postcount=91
This thread was even accidentally locked because of you and only my pleas to Admin Lulu made it reopen again after your escapades!

I'm asking you, what's the matter?

Last edited by Wicky; 12-08-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 13-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #98
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Yes. The fact that the only thread I consider very interesting in the last 4 years on this forum, which also happen to include the material of a guy who says exactly the same thing than I been saying in the... About last 10 years (with proof), was closed then reopened and the fact that you all seem to think it is some kind of joke really aggravate me.

I'm here because I'm a gamer. That's the sole reason why I ever joined this site. I said it countless times in the past. How could that be off topic in a topic named "why are we here?"

Also, since when can't we participate in any threads? Especially in Bla Bla Bla? Also especially since the amount of stupidity I read in this thread is astonishing... I can't really stand idle while reading this.

Go on, close the thread again. That would only annoy me more to see Lulu showing off again. She hardly do anything without yapping at me on this site anyways... Why not continue too?
Old 13-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #99
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Well I have to agree with Eagle of Fire here, it's a 3xBlah sub-forum and there's been much more spam already than what could be considered as such in this thread, but since he was doing nothing more than only arguing about the topic of this thread with FPJ, I find it a little bit unfair to say they're hijacking it. If you simply don't like what they're posting, why not just saiyng it so.
Though saying so right out would be a serious violation of what is there of freedom of speech on this site, wouldn't it? Besides, you should know better than to open a thread about games and expect it all go according only to your own expectations. You asked others about their opinion, so they discuss it, and everyone has own opinion.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 13-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #100
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I closed the thread by accident, I explained this and apologised to Wicky.

Move on and go back to your discussion.