Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #111
laiocfar
NOD Commander

By luck, i do always backup without learning by the hard way.
Anyway, to change the units.gif, u can check it quickly but when making big changes to the rules.txt....
Old 04-03-2006, 08:10 AM   #112

I'm another one who thinks that 'II' (with or without the movies etc.) has a magic about it that 'III' doesn't recreate. Maybe thats because I grew up on I & II and III's graphics come across a little bit cartoonish?.

I first got the game in Dec '96 in a limited edition package, which contained the game disc, the first scenarios cd, and the offical stratergy guide in a huge purple box. Problem is even though i have both cd's still, there scratched up and unreadable. I can't believe it's going on 10yrs since i first got it!?

Old 04-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #113

Forgot to add that I miss the ability to cause civil wars and dividing nations in III, like you could in II.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:36 AM   #114
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Civ 3 has cartoonish units? You must never had played the various scenarios that come with gold edition hehehe...

But yeah, I miss the Civil Wars. I've caused them to revolt into a different, already existing country though LOL

Post with questions people... I need something to scratch my brain with :bleh:
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 06-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #115

Maybe cartoonish is a poor description! But I just don't feel or consider the graphics to be 'serious'.. if that makes sense?! There kind of 'watered down' and 'pastel coloured' :P I can't really describe what I mean!

I know theres a lot of add ons and mod packs about that change terrain and unit sets etc. but i've never been bothered to try any of them. I didn't however know there was a gold edition? I've got play the world and conquests. Is there anything else in that pack that make it worth purchasing?

Old 07-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #116

In my oppinion the most problem with the newer versions is the neverending game. When I was playin 6 hours for a large map in Civ II, it'll last 6 days in Civ III. The next reason I guess is the totally overdone complexity of Civ III.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #117
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I have no problems with neverending games^^
CivII ended always too soon for my taste. The only problem was in CivII just that the longer you played the slower the time between your turns passed due to many, many units of the other nations and the AI making decisions.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 08-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #118
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

A civ 3 game can only last for 1000 turns. It is likely that you will reach the max score before that happens.

Oh no, did they clean the bloodstains and sand off the sides of the tanks for you? Ok, lets sit you in the middle of a real battle field in 3rd person, so you have to watch the carnage and death, the running of blood, and the true feeling of loss that either side may have friends of yours in it.

Perhaps cartoonish may be a good thing?

Besides, go make your OWN animations and put them in, replace ALL the units and then say they are cartoonish. Lets see your realistic work

On a real world map, I always preferred being the romans... then they made japan bigger LOL
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 15-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #119

My reference to the cartoonish look of the units and terrain had nothing to do with a desire to see 'blood stains' and the like rolling off tanks. A more grown up, sharper less toy like style is what i was getting at.

Old 17-03-2006, 03:27 AM   #120
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Well, you can go find a game and take its animation files and use them, you know. It is not that difficult, as long as you have animations of the right size parameters...

Maybe you should make your tanks look like rubber duckies? Or would that be too silly? Besides that all is

World War AI is the only function that will permanently prevent a computer player from reaching a diplomatic cease fire with another computer player without the use of triggers.