Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-10-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
0gh3r

Default Diablo 1

It was in early 1997 when RPG gamers everywhere picked up the newly released Diablo 1. It was an outstanding and unprecedented hit for the PC and the RPG genre. The sales sky-rocketed, and within 10 years it hit the platinum mark at a million copies sold. Incredible.

When it first came out, there wasn't a game, on the market, like it. Sure, there were roguelikes that you could buy but nothing like Diablo. And, none of them boasted the same multiplayer experience that is keeping the game running hot to this very day. Thousands of people still play this game and for good reason; it's a classic.

So what exactly makes this game a classic? Why is it so good and for what reason? Well, let us look at the game-play itself.

You start out by picking your character class. You have the choice between a warrrior; a sorcerer, and a rogue. All of these classes have their strengths and weakness and you're given the freedom to develop these strengths or weaknesses any way you please. You can play a rogue who fights with the blade or even a warrior who fights with sorcery. The choice is up to you.

The character creation is fairly direct and also limiting. It's not extensive by any means and while you're given a lot of leeway in how to create your character; you're still stuck with three simple ways of creating your character and it can make replaying the game monotonous at times.

The quests that you're given are generally fun, and it's incredibly addicting to charge through enemy hordes or watch your enemies tumble by the flick of the finger. This game just doesn't let up! This can be a good or bad thing, but if you're into these sort of games, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The storyline is actually quite good and the back-story is fairly expansive if you read the manual which IS canon. I and a few others often say that it's storyline is one of the best. The entire concept is pretty original. Yes, it utilizes the same old "good vs evil" plot but it does so in a very good and refreshing way.

I adore, like many of you, the music. It's fabulous and really conveys the dark and gloomy atmosphere of the game. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it except those who've played the game so many times that they have to turn off the music. But even so, it's great nonetheless. The dungeon tracks are equally great; they don't distract from the setting what-so-ever.

On a final note, I will always and forever call this game more of a Horror/Action-RPG than just plain Action-RPG. People tend to agree with me on this as well. It's not quite as scary as games in the Survival-Horror genre, but it's pretty darn creepy sometimes to safely add that to the beginning of the title. You have impaled bodies, echoing screams, blood all over the place, and all of this is being contrasted against a very dark and gray background. Even Tristram, which is outside, is pretty gloomy.

So overall I would give it an 85%
0gh3r is offline                         Send a private message to 0gh3r
Old 19-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

Nice review! Diablo (And Diablo 2) were amazing games. Its a shame that Diablo 3 doesn't look quite as evil and scary as the old ones.

You have really made me want to dig out my Diablo CD and play the game again.
verek_22 is offline                         Send a private message to verek_22
Old 21-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
velik_m
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0gh3r View Post
So overall I would give it an 85%
85% of what?
Old 21-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by velik_m View Post
85% of what?

85% +(12%) of pure awesomeness!

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 22-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by velik_m View Post
85% of what?
Fat in dry matter... How about 85% of 100% of the gameness a game can reach?
Old 14-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Patrunjelu
Abandonia nerd

Diablo 1 was better than 2 in my opinion Especially after installing it's expansion (Hellfire). You just have to love the new items (especially the staff of the jester and the magic traps/bombs). Na'krul was too damn easy to beat. I had a harder time when I first entered the crypts. The defiler was hard though...
As for Diablo 1 classic, my favorite bosses are the Warlord of Blood because of it's voice and Archbishop Lazarus because of his overall coolness
Old 14-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrunjelu View Post
Diablo 1 was better than 2 in my opinion Especially after installing it's expansion (Hellfire). You just have to love the new items (especially the staff of the jester and the magic traps/bombs). Na'krul was too damn easy to beat. I had a harder time when I first entered the crypts. The defiler was hard though...
As for Diablo 1 classic, my favorite bosses are the Warlord of Blood because of it's voice and Archbishop Lazarus because of his overall coolness
Yeah, I agree. Diablo 1 had a much darker mood and it was far more simple. + Hellfire rocks :thumbs:

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 15-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Halls of the blind, read by the rogue.. Best. Poem. Ever.
Old 16-07-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
red_avatar
Administrator

I preferred Diablo II for its range & diversity, Diablo I for its atmosphere & music.

Diablo III looks to be a bastard child of D2 and WoW though. The art team is obviously that of WoW - the same style of textures, green/blue hues everywhere, etc. It's like a kiddy version of Diablo at the moment.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 16-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #10
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

I liked Diablo when it came out, but it also bored me. It had its unique features that made it fun, but I preferred games like Baldur's Gate instead. Dungeon crawls never really interest me. I like doing quests and interacting with NPCs and exploring cities.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127