Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #461
VanDine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
Good, balanced team will give You relaxation and no hard moments in the future.
Exactly. I will probably follow in your footsteps, I am not too warring player and have problems killing someone who doesn't attack first.

I have time now to get ready for the game because I can see myself playing from June and on into the summer - I have to fly to Canada in early June for summer working holiday and will have time to put to such excellent pastime like Wizardry then.

btw you know you can edit quotes to leave only the relevant parts in it. Saves finger on the scroll wheel
VanDine is offline                         Send a private message to VanDine
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #462
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDine View Post
Exactly. I will probably follow in your footsteps, I am not too warring player and have problems killing someone who doesn't attack first.

I have time now to get ready for the game because I can see myself playing from June and on into the summer - I have to fly to Canada in early June for summer working holiday and will have time to put to such excellent pastime like Wizardry then.

btw you know you can edit quotes to leave only the relevant parts in it. Saves finger on the scroll wheel
Merci.
But i am very troubled with Closed Door in W7 and above mentioned solution is not my main problem now. Sorry.
You're right of course.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #463
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

While ssjlee's FAQ offers quite some useful information it's not perfect and section 5 "Optimal party construction" has many errors and trying to follow it as close as you can is a receipt for a ruined game.

Do you really want to save and reload all the time at level ups to get the stat raises to switch classes again and again so everyone knows everything until you have 6 almost identical characters ?

The game wasn't designed for this. The developers had parties without class switching in mind, the only purpose of switching was allowing you to take elite classes even if you can't roll the required bonuses.

In W6 males are better than females because of the extra strength they get, it's worth having 1-2 Valkyries but my bard could wear a skirt which offered a little better AC than the best other item she could wear there, that's all, this wasn't even worth the lost stat point. It's not different in W7.
The only reason for having many females is cheating to get many diamond rings when W6 is over to have them on import into W7.

Elf or Mook might be worth it in W8 but in W6+7 felpurr are superior to them. Bows aren't very good since you need ammo and only 1 shot per attack instead of 1-4 swings with polearms. Lords are definitely inferior to Valkyries in W6. Fairy alchemist should work perfectly well from the beginning until the end of W6 if you want one, alchemist is the fastest progressing casting class. You can do without a bard if you don't want one since all the Poet's Lute does is casting sleep.

There are so many ways to create an effective party, what are the characters you want ?

Last edited by kmonster; 04-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 04-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #464
VanDine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonster View Post
While ssjlee's FAQ offers quite some useful information it's not perfect and section 5 "Optimal party construction" has many errors and trying to follow it as close as you can is a receipt for a ruined game.
Well, I really only look at forum here and that FAQ etc. in times when I have to make some decision to review it so to speak, so I don't do anything outright silly. I'd agree with you.

Last night I made that F Elf into Valkyrie with str12 vit16

I'll be back on Sunday, gotta go to some wedding now in the family.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #465
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

With the risk to be criticized I sing an ode to Kmonster and Master Scatty
I will say definitely:
Follow the team model of Kmonster and You, dead VanDine will enjoyed the game W 6. As I did.
He knows what to do.

btw Are You the Bridegroom?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #466
VanDine

Quote:
There are so many ways to create an effective party, what are the characters you want ?
Good question. I know what party I want but I don't know which characters, especially which races would fit my idea of party. And you can add to the difficulty of choosing the party creation itself - suppose I pick faerie race for monks profession... that one seems almost impossible to roll with half decent stats and I am unsure if choosing another race for monk (like dwarf or hobbit) would make it easier to roll (because of initial race stat requirements). My knowledge doesn't quite reach that far and trying to find out by try and miss would take me ages.

Otherwise when I played online where you play with single character only, in early years I started with warrior char (fighter, the other choices were wizard, taoist, assassin) but in later years I played assassin char. which would be equivalent to the hybrid chars here. So I want party of hybrids, not sure now if that extends only to professions or to races also.

Party weighted towards fighters is ok for those new to wizardry or maybe to gaming as such. That's why it was good to cut my teeth with fighter in that online game because it was fairly simple and easy to understand - you just use your club to stop all arguments, and bingo.

In race choice that rules out humans, lizards, dracons, and maybe others, because they are either ordinary (human LOL) or dumb fighters.

I rolled F faerie monk with bonus 18 but that didn't leave enough points by far for Vitality. I would have needed to roll bonus like 24 I think to bring Vit to 16 and that is almost like winning jackpot
I learned that maybe it is not such a good idea to try for faerie monk or maybe one has to settle for some quite ungainly stats.

It would be handy to have some stats table where you could see right away which race is optimal (not best) for which profession in terms of how realistic it is to roll it with acceptable stats.
---------------
From that table you can see that to make a Gnome Ninja (for example) would eat up 17 points from your rolled bonus (to satisfy char requirements) leaving you with Vit 12 which means to then get Vit at least up to 16 pts you would need 17+4 points = 21 bonus to roll or higher... Correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Race-Class Table.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	1797  Click image for larger version

Name:	Race-Class (Hybrids only) Table.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1798  

Last edited by VanDine; 07-05-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Adding tables
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #467
mowarning

Default Salutations!

Hi all,

First of all apologies for "resurrecting" this thread but this seems to be one of the forums to go to for these kind of games.

As many of you will probably know Wizardry 6,7 and 8 are (or were recently?) on sale on Steam.

I remember buying Wizardry 7 when it came out and playing it excessively without having too much of a clue of what I am doing which eventually meant that in the later stages of the game I simply could not continue as I screwed up a lot.

I also played Wizardry 8 a little bit as well.

I never played Wizardry 6 but when I saw it on Steam I bought all 3 again and my intention is now to start with Wizardry 6 and take the party over to 7 and eventually 8.

My "problem" is that not too much has changed since I first played Wizardry 7 in terms of my knowledge of the game series. I spent the the last 3 days reading various different FAQs/Guides but I am still stuck at the very basic but important hurdle of creating a party that won't make me quit the game half way through or later because the party didn't work out or because I made class switches that sounded cool but were in fact rather stupid and done at the wrong times.

So my question/request really is to get some advice from some of the veterans on here.

I intend to have the following "rough" party line-up:

2 Valkyries (or maybe just 1 Valkyrie and 1 Ninja?)
1 Samurai
1 Bard
1 Priest
1 Mage

First problem I am not entirely sure on races: I had Dwarf/Rawulf in mind for the Valkyries. Felpurr for the Samurai, Fairy for the Bard (only to then discover that the fairy cannot equip the lute? or am I being silly?), Rawulf for the Priest and Elf or Mook for the Mage.

Note: those are just initial "preferences"/ ideas, I am more than happy for you to critique here and tell me I got the races all wrong.

On to the next topic and this is probably my biggest worry: Bonus point distribution

For my first chars all I did was max out STR and put the rest in VIT , no matter what the class actually is (so even for a Mage)... now I am pretty sure this is wrong.

I also understand that I should use the bonus points to work towards the class I want the character to switch to?

On the topic of switching which is probably of equaly importance as the bonus distribution for me:

What kind of switches make sense for the party above and when?

I was thinking about switching the Mage to a Priest at lvl 10 maybe and the Priest to a Mage.
The Bard to a Ninja and the Valkyries to Samurais for the critical strike chance skill and then back again immediately?
Not sure what to do with the Samurai?

Do these switches even make sense? Or would I make things harder for myself?

With regards to the "When?" I read conflicting information here, some people say I should switch before LVL 2 even, others say LVL 5 is a good time for example.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback, it is much appreciated!
mowarning is offline                         Send a private message to mowarning
Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #468
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

You don't have to create a very powerful party or switch classes, just level up until you're strong enough to defeat the monsters you face.
You can afford to combine your races/classes as you like.
The players who bought the games when released didn't read non-existing guides and faqs about party development, they only had the quite useless manual.

Putting leftover points into strength and vitality at creation isn't a bad idea, stats will raise during the game but carrying capacity is set at creation.

Bards don't equip instruments, they use them during combat.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #469
mowarning

Quote:
You don't have to create a very powerful party or switch classes, just level up until you're strong enough to defeat the monsters you face.
You can afford to combine your races/classes as you like.
The players who bought the games when released didn't read non-existing guides and faqs about party development, they only had the quite useless manual.

Putting leftover points into strength and vitality at creation isn't a bad idea, stats will raise during the game but carrying capacity is set at creation.

Bards don't equip instruments, they use them during combat.
Thanks mate!

I read a post (from you?) on here that stated that importing a Party from W6 into W7 is not worth it or is actually worse than starting a new party in W7. Is that true?

Also, there is a lot of locked doors on the Castle Entrance Level and I seem to be unable to open any of them with lockpicking of my Bard or my Ninja... admittedly they were very unlucky when it came to the skill points available to spend, I think I was only able to put 3 or 4 points into Skulduggery... so how do I raise it? I assume I need to spend some time in the Entrance level before I go up or down because I had an encounter with 3 slime groups in the Lower levels who killed 2 of my characters in the first round , the rest is history...
mowarning is offline                         Send a private message to mowarning
Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #470
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Each attempt on a non-jammed door has a chance to raise the skill whether you succeed or not.
Save bevor you try for the first time and keep on trying until either you succeed or the door gets jammed (in this case reload and try again).