Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #151
deaddonkey

Default Love this

I love this game only grip I have is that sometimes I find the troop battles too difficult or sometimes the game just gives you way to little solders and no way to build up your army as it's too small to ever win any more land or anything.
deaddonkey is offline                         Send a private message to deaddonkey
Old 24-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #152

On the rankings screen (F1, not the high score table), there are five symbols underneath the character picture in the Assets table. I'm not seeing any key for these in the manual (but please correct me if I'm wrong!); what do they actually represent? I figure the sword represents dueling, the rising sun probably represents honor, the fan represents generalship, and the flat-top mountain maybe represents land? The second icon from the left, the one that looks like an inkblot test, I can't even guess what that's supposed to be.

Old 24-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #153
Japo
Autonomous human

Almost correct. The ink blot test is supposed to be rice crop I think, and is the one representing land. The flat top mountain is actually the straw hat of a peasant or ashigaru, and it represents the number of soldiers in your army.

I don't remember if it's in the manual, but you see this when you start each new game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddonkey View Post
I love this game only grip I have is that sometimes I find the troop battles too difficult or sometimes the game just gives you way to little solders and no way to build up your army as it's too small to ever win any more land or anything.
Battles are very easy as long as you're attacking, you can win every time with very fewer men than your enemy, only when you're defending it's a challenge.

When the computer is defending its platoons never move, they only turn, even after you've engaged another of his units. So the only thing you need to do is to take out one enemy platoon after another.

Move one of your platoon in front of the enemy, as close as possible without engaging. Then move another of your platoons to the flank or better yet rear of the enemy platoon, but just not as close as your first platoon, so the enemy keeps facing that. Then order your flanking second platoon to charge. If the enemy is going to last long enough to turn and fight some, order the first platoon to charge too, as soon as the enemies turn their flank towards it.

Repeat with each enemy platoon, the rest will just stand there looking until it's their turn.
Old 25-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #154

Well I'll be, it IS in the new game screen, how did I miss that? Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 21-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #155

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I can't get this to download. I downloaded DOSBox, but when I click the "Get this" for Sword of the Samurai, it just times out. Is the game still available from here?

Old 21-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #156
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

The servers are down at the moment, happens. Have a bit of patience please, they should be up again in the next hours
Old 21-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The servers are down at the moment, happens. Have a bit of patience please, they should be up again in the next hours
OK, thanks. I just thought, since it was such an old game and all, it might just not be available anymore. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #158
soran
Default a problem

hey guys, i am playing the game, it's amazing, specially for an old game.

but, i have a problem, whenever a rival resigns or dies, the game freezes, how come? any solution for that?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #159
Japo
Autonomous human

If it's what I think, the game should un-freeze in a minute, it's some timing bug. But I thought it was fixed some DOSBox versions ago, unless it's re-appeared, which one are you using?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #160
soran

I'm not sure to be honest, i'm not good with these stuff.

I waited and it worked though, thanks a lot ^^

though, it seems now that i am a hatamoto, things are getting worse for me, the maximum number of troops i can raise is about 400, the enemy has 700+ soldiers and battle fights are becoming literal hell lol.

any advice? should i drill the troops?

I took a hostage from one of my fellow hatamoto and am trying to do whatever it is that i can to increase my honor and troop size.