Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-02-2008, 04:52 AM   #141
HobbesOz
Lurker

Hi i am enjoying the game very much but im having a problem. I have made it to Hatamoto rank but each time a significant event happens (like an assassination or death of daimyo) the program freezes up any suggestions? its pretty annoying because i just cant get to the next stage because of it thanks
HobbesOz is offline                         Send a private message to HobbesOz
Old 15-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #142
Japo
Autonomous human

It will go on after a while, wait a minute. Or better yet use the latest version of DOSBox which fixes that problem for me.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #143
jnry3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka View Post
By the way, I did complete the game in no-dachi, with unsurpassed honour, unsurpassed ability as general, adult heir, blah-blah. I DID get the fabled 3,500 points, but I did NOT get the 300 years. Actually, in the "scroll of honor" the score with 300 years is slightly higher than 3,500, 3,530 I think. So definitely there's some kind of hidden Easter egg in the game.
I think age also plays a factor. I did notice that when I tried finishing the game (same stats) as a young adult vs. a mature adult, I get 30 or 40 more points as a young adult.

And I'm stuck at 3,470 highest as a young adult with a youth heir. Getting older just brings the score down.

Old 27-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #144
MCE
Default What I would change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
A classic game indeed.

I'm very tempted to try a remake myself - I have this idea for simple pre-rendered backdrops for the various menus and choices.

I'm wondering how much little to change in terms of the rest of the game. I'm worried that if I tried to change too much its not going to retain the simple charm of the old game - but I'd really like to avoid it being as simple as a direct graphical upgrade.

What do you think? What would you change?
Guys! Anybody still read this?
I've never been much of a gamer but I did enjoy coding and modding games once upon a time. I always thought this game was great, not only because of the actual gameplay (though it gets repetitive), but because it could be made into a 'learn japanese the easy way' game. I remember my 5yo nephew playing this and knowing lots of Japanese words. I think the game could go further and throw in more Japanese (maybe some verbs) as you go further in the game - eventually the whole screen may be japanese and yet you'd know what it was about!

Of course, the concept could be extended to other games for other languages too.
I know we've all seen games that 'reward' you for learning to spell or multiply, always for little kids or far to boring for teenagers and up, but I don't think there's any, 'learn another language' program that tackles it in quite this way.

Now there's a project for someone with a little time on his hands. I wouldn't mind a little credit when the money starts rolling in though.

Shannon Wheeler
Fort McMurray, AB

Old 27-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #145
Maestrotogo

Great game, I still have the floppies....and floppies for Pirates and Civilization.

D-Fend is what I use to play them now...hard to find a Tandy 1000 these days...:thumbs:
Maestrotogo is offline                         Send a private message to Maestrotogo
Old 26-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #146

how do you save this game in the current dosbox? thanks in advance in answering this question =)

Old 26-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #147
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

The way you ...usually save the game? Unless there's no save function in the game menu.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 26-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #148
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I have just checked the manual and the save fuction is Alt S. That will save your game.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 27-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #149

yes Alt+S saves the game, but it wont let you unless you're at your home/fief. didnt see that "condition".

Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #150
teknik
Lurker

Default Sword of the Samurai

great threads for a great game . just done an attic clear out and found amongst others a complete boxed version of s of s with map booklet techie notes and 2x 3 1/2 floppies and 3x 5 1/4 floppies. I remember in the manual you had all the signs of the clans and it was an early form of anti piracy in that you had to put a name to a sign to prove you had the book.
Will have to try and add a 3 1/2 floppy drive to my desktop and see if they still work No chance of finding a 5 1/4 drive)
teknik is offline                         Send a private message to teknik