Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Golden Age Of Gaming
If Babbage's D.E #1 could run games, that would be the age. 0 0%
The Glorious Arcade Halls 4 8.16%
The Unique 'C64 and such' Era 6 12.24%
The Time of DOS 26 53.06%
Or finally, Win95 3 6.12%
Other (please specify in post) 9 18.37%
Games? Who's got time for stinking games? Geez! 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

The last years of the Amiga were the golden age of gaming

Afther that there is the DOS6.22 period :wub:
Old 01-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

1990...Amiga rulez k:
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #13
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

I consider the early to mid 80s to be the Golden Age of Gaming, and I wish there was some way I could find out exactly how much money I spent in video arcades during that time (back when video arcades were worth visiting). The Golden Age of PC Gaming came later, but that wasn't the question.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
Elon Yariv
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David86 @ Jun 1 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]233635[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
1990...Amiga rulez k:
[/b]
Yeah I also think the golden age was in the 90's. When many great games for amiga and Pc(or both) came to light. Games like The choas engine, z, Fury of the furies and how can we forget good old doom.

I think that the golden age ended in 98 when that acursed game came to this world. Half-life1 ruined the action games and form some obscure reason it was loved more then ID's games. I miss the old games that didn't have such a complex plot... just fighting and pixlated gore.
Elon Yariv is offline                         Send a private message to Elon Yariv
Old 01-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #15
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I feel stupid now. How could I forget the Amiga? :wallbash: ... :wallbash:

I guess it was an 'out of memory error'. Or maybe my 'random access memory modules' are just plain random?

Probably should have edited the poll options to include it, but I don't know how.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You forgot the advent of 3D gaming and the popularization of console gaming by Nintendo so who cares about the silly old Amiga? :P

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 01-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #17
rlbell
Game freak

I would have to say that it was the MS-DOS days. The graphics were much improved over the early periods, but the amount detail available was still to low to encourage game designers to sacrifice play value for better imagery. I have yet to play as good a strategy game as the original Master of Orion. Starfleet Command II: Empires at War is an enjoyable diversion and the graphics are very nice, but it gets stale really fast, once you have played the campaign as each race. I bought the recent Stronghold game, but have not played it since I finished the military campaign. I could play MOO several times a week.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 02-06-2006, 01:23 AM   #18
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

DOS, in my opinion. Interestingly enough, I just did an interview for a magazine with Chris Crawford, who some players may remember for his more than a dozen fantastic games during that period. Crawford is of the opinion that it was the gaming industry which killed off all creativity in the field--and he means all--producing games that simply look and sound better, but have no original ideas. For Crawford, gaming stopped when it became nothing more than object manipulation, whether those objects are combined, or killed, or exchanged, etc. He thinks the best games have been all about genuine interaction on a strategic level. We shared a love for Hidden Agenda, for example.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 02-06-2006, 04:03 AM   #19
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

The days of the Snes.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 02-06-2006, 04:40 AM   #20
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jun 1 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]233691[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You forgot the advent of 3D gaming and the popularization of console gaming by Nintendo so who cares about the silly old Amiga? :P
[/b]
Hey, I had a 3D pac man on my C64! :bleh: There's also Elite (in effect a 3D) and numerous flight sims (still in effect 3D)

In effect is valid. Remember, that due to a 2D monitor, true 3D is impossible. No matter the engine, it still comes down to apparent 3D.