Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #31
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Oh. Sorry. Here's the DOSBox Wiki on the config file: Dosbox.conf

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #32
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
thanks, but that doesn't really help, I want the game to play in a window, but I want that window to be larger (I don't really want it full screen with all the black around it.
Switch output to ddraw and scaler to normal3x.

Quote:
I think I might want the window resolution, but I am not sure that the output device supports it as it doesn't seem to be resizing the windo except for teh smallest amount
The surface output doesn't support a lot of things. That is why I recommend using overlay or ddraw instead.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #33
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
On the contrary, fullscreen always give you the original graphics...
And looks as complete sh*t on my 23"CRT.
300x200 in fulscreen on a 23"? My as*, really, those old games were made to run on a 12,13 or 14" monitor, not a 23" one.

Another possibility to stretch that 'crappy small' dosbox window a bit is to lower desktop res to a 640x480 or 800x600.
That doesn't burden the needed emulation power of the CPU.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 02-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #34
kittybrod
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
And looks as complete sh*t on my 23"CRT.
300x200 in fulscreen on a 23"? My as*, really, those old games were made to run on a 12,13 or 14" monitor, not a 23" one.

Another possibility to stretch that 'crappy small' dosbox window a bit is to lower desktop res to a 640x480 or 800x600.
That doesn't burden the needed emulation power of the CPU.
Yeah, I have a 17 inch, and when the graphics are put to full screen, they are well, bad to say the least. I would put my resolution lower, but that messes everything ELSE up so it isn't worth it to worry that much about dosbox I just thought since I was asking and everyone was being helpful, I would ask about that
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Switch output to ddraw and scaler to normal3x.

The surface output doesn't support a lot of things. That is why I recommend using overlay or ddraw instead.
Okay, I will try that, I forgot to switch output the last time. Okay, I just put that in the dosbox config, but haven't tried it yet, I will let you know if it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumiuN View Post
Oh. Sorry. Here's the DOSBox Wiki on the config file: Dosbox.conf
Don't worry I found that wiki on my computer just AFTER I posted. Apparently I found that and downloaded it a while ago. I wish that there was a bit more indepth coverage available (like what the differences between surface ddraw etc... and things like that, but the wiki should come in handy.

Thanks

Edit: Dosbox decided to avoid being murdered and cooperated, I finally went back a bit further in the thread and used windowresolution and combined with ddraw and normal3x it worked. now I just have to find the resolution that I like best, that is large enough for me to not feel like I am looking through a keyhole but not so large as to make everything including text go blurry

Thanks for the help people

Last edited by kittybrod; 02-01-2009 at 02:59 AM.
kittybrod is offline                         Send a private message to kittybrod
Old 23-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #35
nuganu
Default hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post

Don't use Gravis, as stated in the dosbox readme, it's the worst choice you can make. Dosbox does NOT include GUS drivers out of the box.
can you elaborate on this? i am having the same problem as OP using the old menzo CD (when i fire the game up i get the same "gravis native mode installation error"), and the sound setup (sound_pm) at no point mentions gravis anywhere, so i'm unsure how it's being selected. so i'm missing something...

taking your suggestioni looked at the readme but it states graivs emulation is nearly groovy for v.72. but again, i don't know how to NOT select it when doing the sound config, because i've run about 10 different combos and the same error is coming up.

Old 23-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #36
dosraider
Dismembered.

Problem with GUS under dosbox0.72 is that dosbox doesn't come with all the needed GUS drivers and doesn't initialise GUS at start up. That's why you better stick with SB emulation.
SB emulation is nearly perfect in dosbox.

First possibility: disable GUS in dosbox.
Open dosboxconfig and look under header [GUS], change gus=true to gus=false, this will disable GUS autodetection and you will be able to select SB sound.

Second possibility if you absolutely want full GUS support:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=16974
Read and apply, this will give you a fully working GUS emulation under dosbox 0.72.
However, some games that can use GUS sound are sometimes nitpicking and this will cause those games to freeze, but it should work for 99% of the GUS supported games.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 23-04-2009 at 10:37 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #37
nuganu
Default thanks.

that false dialogue was the key.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #38
dosraider
Dismembered.

You're welcome.

FYI: next dosbox release has improved GUS support..... and a lot more.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*